Sunday, June 26, 2016

Python kills security guard in Bali

Posted on Saturday, 28 December, 2013 | Comment icon 10 comments

The huge snake proved to be deadly. Image Credit: sxc.hu
The guard got in to difficulties when he attempted to catch the snake outside a luxury hotel.
Large snakes can be dangerous at the best of times, but when security guard Ambar Arianto Mulyo spotted a particularly large python crossing the road outside the Bali Hyatt hotel, his decision to tackle the reptile on his own would prove to be disastrous.

The 59-year-old had successfully managed to grab the creature's head and tail when, in an effort to break free, the snake wrapped itself around the man's neck and strangled him. Terrified onlookers were too scared to offer assistance as the reptile made its escape in to some nearby bushes.

Local authorities later issued a warning to alert residents to be on the look out for the snake, but despite a complete search of the hotel and grounds no sign of the creature could be found.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (10)

Tags: Snake, Python

Comment icon #1 Posted by third_eye on 27 December, 2013, 15:36
watched one too many 'reality' documentaries and without enough common sense ... RIP Agung Bawa ... and the python too ... soon enough I suspect ... ~
Comment icon #2 Posted by J_Anne on 28 December, 2013, 23:02
While this is sad it was to be expected really. Even those who have good experience handling snakes have to always be on their guard. If the Python is found then I don't think that any harm should be inflicted upon it, as it clearly felt threatened, and was only doing what came naturally. I don't even like snakes but you've got to be honest and fair.
Comment icon #3 Posted by AliveInDeath7 on 29 December, 2013, 2:52
If you don't know how to deal with a snake, you probably shouldn't. Common sense.
Comment icon #4 Posted by third_eye on 29 December, 2013, 4:12
Comment icon #5 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 29 December, 2013, 11:24
I and a friend wrestled a five maybe six foot python once ... got my left leg from thigh to calf black and blue for weeks ... had to keep both hands on the head ... and it had free reign to constrict on my leg ... my friend could not get it free from my leg once it got a hold, had to wait till it tire out and that took about an hour ... almost made me think twice about letting it go miles away from the village ... those buggers are strong ... I imagine a fifteen footer would've crushed and broke a few bones on me ... I'm just a small fella ... ~ Just to make it clear I didn't like the part whe... [More]
Comment icon #6 Posted by third_eye on 29 December, 2013, 11:41
Just to make it clear I didn't like the part where you were almost killed by a python, I liked the fact that you survived. Oh ... the tears I did shed ... Nahhh ... I was never in any danger of dying ... the bugger put up a big fight as to be expected ... I almost yielded and thought of killing it ... I will step out on a limb here and say that it was as if it 'knew' what I was thinking ... as soon as I made the decision to hold on a while longer instead of killing it ... it started to loosen its grip ... and all it took was just myself alone a simple lift and toss into a gunny sack ... wherea... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by jesspy on 29 December, 2013, 12:14
I am reading this just as there is a documentary on man eating Burmese pythons on tv. Lol.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Xynoplas on 30 December, 2013, 23:39
I used to handle a couple of nine-foot Burmese. First thing, if you don't know what you're doing, leave it be. Second, don't handle alone. Third, if you see someone in trouble, DON'T JUST STAND THERE! Checking my faith in humanity here.
Comment icon #9 Posted by OverSword on 31 December, 2013, 0:20
I hate to say he asked for it but............................
Comment icon #10 Posted by LadyLabyrinth on 5 January, 2014, 11:29
Having the best intention is good, but it doesn't really matter, if you have no experience handling snakes. Long-term experience doesn't even guarantee one's safety, but at least with the latter the person/people involved are aware of how best to approach the snake, and what's necessary to do if the plan does not work out as hoped and expected. It is sad that the man lost his life the way that he did, and all because he was trying to help those nearby, but it's really no surprise. The Python no doubt felt very threatened and reacted naturally. If it is found then I think that it should be kept... [More]

Batman would be 'ill-equipped' say scientists
6-25-2016
Researchers at the University of Leicester have determined that Batman would be rubbish in real life.
Scottish UFO plaque replaced after 24 years
6-25-2016
The plaque is located at the site where Bob Taylor famously encountered a strange object back in 1979.
Russian robot escapes, causes traffic jam
6-25-2016
An experimental interactive robot known as Promobot IR77 has been up to quite a bit of mischief recently.
Bipedal bear sighted again in New Jersey
6-24-2016
A bear known as Pedals has become something of a celebrity thanks to his habit of walking on two legs.
Teaching a gorilla to talk
Posted 6-25-2016 | 8 comments
A western lowland gorilla named Koko was taught from an early age to use sign language.

Man puts 496 straws in his mouth
Posted 6-24-2016 | 3 comments
Guinness Rishi manages to cram 496 drinking straws in to his mouth at the same time.

Space is trying to kill us
Posted 6-23-2016 | 1 comment
How do astronauts survive in space and what happens after they return to Earth ?

Jupiter: Into the unknown
Posted 6-22-2016 | 1 comment
A dramatic look at Jupiter ahead of the arrival of the Juno spacecraft next month.

Adam Savage's medieval armor
Posted 6-21-2016 | 1 comment
The former MythBuster checks out armor from the Jeff Bridges film Seventh Son.

Not in our jurisdiction

Christmas Day haunting
4-6-2016 | London, UK

The funeral director
3-30-2016 | Hebburn, England

A strange sighting in Spain
3-30-2016 | Albatera, Spain

Dust patterns on basement floor
3-27-2016 | Smithville, Texas