Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Python kills security guard in Bali

Posted on Saturday, 28 December, 2013 | Comment icon 10 comments

The huge snake proved to be deadly. Image Credit: sxc.hu
The guard got in to difficulties when he attempted to catch the snake outside a luxury hotel.
Large snakes can be dangerous at the best of times, but when security guard Ambar Arianto Mulyo spotted a particularly large python crossing the road outside the Bali Hyatt hotel, his decision to tackle the reptile on his own would prove to be disastrous.

The 59-year-old had successfully managed to grab the creature's head and tail when, in an effort to break free, the snake wrapped itself around the man's neck and strangled him. Terrified onlookers were too scared to offer assistance as the reptile made its escape in to some nearby bushes.

Local authorities later issued a warning to alert residents to be on the look out for the snake, but despite a complete search of the hotel and grounds no sign of the creature could be found.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (10)

Tags: Snake, Python

Comment icon #1 Posted by third_eye on 27 December, 2013, 15:36
watched one too many 'reality' documentaries and without enough common sense ... RIP Agung Bawa ... and the python too ... soon enough I suspect ... ~
Comment icon #2 Posted by J_Anne on 28 December, 2013, 23:02
While this is sad it was to be expected really. Even those who have good experience handling snakes have to always be on their guard. If the Python is found then I don't think that any harm should be inflicted upon it, as it clearly felt threatened, and was only doing what came naturally. I don't even like snakes but you've got to be honest and fair.
Comment icon #3 Posted by AliveInDeath7 on 29 December, 2013, 2:52
If you don't know how to deal with a snake, you probably shouldn't. Common sense.
Comment icon #4 Posted by third_eye on 29 December, 2013, 4:12
Comment icon #5 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 29 December, 2013, 11:24
I and a friend wrestled a five maybe six foot python once ... got my left leg from thigh to calf black and blue for weeks ... had to keep both hands on the head ... and it had free reign to constrict on my leg ... my friend could not get it free from my leg once it got a hold, had to wait till it tire out and that took about an hour ... almost made me think twice about letting it go miles away from the village ... those buggers are strong ... I imagine a fifteen footer would've crushed and broke a few bones on me ... I'm just a small fella ... ~ Just to make it clear I didn't like the part whe... [More]
Comment icon #6 Posted by third_eye on 29 December, 2013, 11:41
Just to make it clear I didn't like the part where you were almost killed by a python, I liked the fact that you survived. Oh ... the tears I did shed ... Nahhh ... I was never in any danger of dying ... the bugger put up a big fight as to be expected ... I almost yielded and thought of killing it ... I will step out on a limb here and say that it was as if it 'knew' what I was thinking ... as soon as I made the decision to hold on a while longer instead of killing it ... it started to loosen its grip ... and all it took was just myself alone a simple lift and toss into a gunny sack ... wherea... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by jesspy on 29 December, 2013, 12:14
I am reading this just as there is a documentary on man eating Burmese pythons on tv. Lol.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Xynoplas on 30 December, 2013, 23:39
I used to handle a couple of nine-foot Burmese. First thing, if you don't know what you're doing, leave it be. Second, don't handle alone. Third, if you see someone in trouble, DON'T JUST STAND THERE! Checking my faith in humanity here.
Comment icon #9 Posted by OverSword on 31 December, 2013, 0:20
I hate to say he asked for it but............................
Comment icon #10 Posted by LadyLabyrinth on 5 January, 2014, 11:29
Having the best intention is good, but it doesn't really matter, if you have no experience handling snakes. Long-term experience doesn't even guarantee one's safety, but at least with the latter the person/people involved are aware of how best to approach the snake, and what's necessary to do if the plan does not work out as hoped and expected. It is sad that the man lost his life the way that he did, and all because he was trying to help those nearby, but it's really no surprise. The Python no doubt felt very threatened and reacted naturally. If it is found then I think that it should be kept... [More]

French Polynesia signs 'floating city' deal
1-17-2017
The world's first ever floating city could soon begin construction off the French Polynesian coast.
Giant alligator goes for a stroll in Florida
1-17-2017
A huge alligator was filmed by tourists at the Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida this week.
'Creature' photographed in garden at night
1-16-2017
A Reddit user has uploaded an image of what appears to be a strange figure running through a garden.
Rain brings alien-like shrimp back to life
1-16-2017
A prehistoric species of shrimp in Australia has been emerging from the ground recently due to heavy rain.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
Can anger be good for you ?
Posted 1-17-2017 | 1 comment
A new study has suggested that (some) anger can be beneficial to your health.

Marshmallows in a vacuum
Posted 1-16-2017 | 2 comments
What happens to a pile of marshmallows when all the air is removed ?

Fighting fire with fire
Posted 1-15-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage learns whether it is possible to use fire (or the sound of fire) to put out fire.

Washing machine throwing
Posted 1-14-2017 | 8 comments
Two strongmen battle it out to see who can throw a washing machine the furthest.

The amazing natural world
Posted 1-13-2017 | 0 comments
A series of quality clips from some of the BBC's most successful wildlife programmes.

Phantom vehicle
1-6-2017 | Ramer, United States

True ghost stories
1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.

A 15-year-old predicted my future!
12-21-2016 | Katherine, Australia

The haunted pond
12-21-2016 | Essex, Ontario, Canada

The haunted hospital
12-28-2016 | New Plymouth, New Zealand

Loud crash in the night
12-17-2016 | Pennsylvania

Mysterious woman in a blue dress
12-17-2016 | Northern Ireland