Friday, October 20, 2017

Python kills security guard in Bali

Posted on Saturday, 28 December, 2013 | Comment icon 10 comments

The huge snake proved to be deadly. Image Credit: sxc.hu
The guard got in to difficulties when he attempted to catch the snake outside a luxury hotel.
Large snakes can be dangerous at the best of times, but when security guard Ambar Arianto Mulyo spotted a particularly large python crossing the road outside the Bali Hyatt hotel, his decision to tackle the reptile on his own would prove to be disastrous.

The 59-year-old had successfully managed to grab the creature's head and tail when, in an effort to break free, the snake wrapped itself around the man's neck and strangled him. Terrified onlookers were too scared to offer assistance as the reptile made its escape in to some nearby bushes.

Local authorities later issued a warning to alert residents to be on the look out for the snake, but despite a complete search of the hotel and grounds no sign of the creature could be found.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (10)

Tags: Snake, Python

Comment icon #1 Posted by third_eye on 27 December, 2013, 15:36
watched one too many 'reality' documentaries and without enough common sense ... RIP Agung Bawa ... and the python too ... soon enough I suspect ... ~
Comment icon #2 Posted by J_Anne on 28 December, 2013, 23:02
While this is sad it was to be expected really. Even those who have good experience handling snakes have to always be on their guard. If the Python is found then I don't think that any harm should be inflicted upon it, as it clearly felt threatened, and was only doing what came naturally. I don't even like snakes but you've got to be honest and fair.
Comment icon #3 Posted by AliveInDeath7 on 29 December, 2013, 2:52
If you don't know how to deal with a snake, you probably shouldn't. Common sense.
Comment icon #4 Posted by third_eye on 29 December, 2013, 4:12
Comment icon #5 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 29 December, 2013, 11:24
I and a friend wrestled a five maybe six foot python once ... got my left leg from thigh to calf black and blue for weeks ... had to keep both hands on the head ... and it had free reign to constrict on my leg ... my friend could not get it free from my leg once it got a hold, had to wait till it tire out and that took about an hour ... almost made me think twice about letting it go miles away from the village ... those buggers are strong ... I imagine a fifteen footer would've crushed and broke a few bones on me ... I'm just a small fella ... ~ Just to make it clear I didn't like the part whe... [More]
Comment icon #6 Posted by third_eye on 29 December, 2013, 11:41
Just to make it clear I didn't like the part where you were almost killed by a python, I liked the fact that you survived. Oh ... the tears I did shed ... Nahhh ... I was never in any danger of dying ... the bugger put up a big fight as to be expected ... I almost yielded and thought of killing it ... I will step out on a limb here and say that it was as if it 'knew' what I was thinking ... as soon as I made the decision to hold on a while longer instead of killing it ... it started to loosen its grip ... and all it took was just myself alone a simple lift and toss into a gunny sack ... wherea... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by jesspy on 29 December, 2013, 12:14
I am reading this just as there is a documentary on man eating Burmese pythons on tv. Lol.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Xynoplas on 30 December, 2013, 23:39
I used to handle a couple of nine-foot Burmese. First thing, if you don't know what you're doing, leave it be. Second, don't handle alone. Third, if you see someone in trouble, DON'T JUST STAND THERE! Checking my faith in humanity here.
Comment icon #9 Posted by OverSword on 31 December, 2013, 0:20
I hate to say he asked for it but............................
Comment icon #10 Posted by LadyLabyrinth on 5 January, 2014, 11:29
Having the best intention is good, but it doesn't really matter, if you have no experience handling snakes. Long-term experience doesn't even guarantee one's safety, but at least with the latter the person/people involved are aware of how best to approach the snake, and what's necessary to do if the plan does not work out as hoped and expected. It is sad that the man lost his life the way that he did, and all because he was trying to help those nearby, but it's really no surprise. The Python no doubt felt very threatened and reacted naturally. If it is found then I think that it should be kept... [More]

Huge 50km-long cave discovered on the Moon
10-19-2017
The Japanese space agency JAXA has announced the discovery of a cave hidden beneath the lunar surface.
When you die you are aware that you are dead
10-19-2017
A new study has suggested that the mind can still be active even after the body stops showing signs of life.
Google invents an AI that learns on its own
10-18-2017
The search giant has developed an artificial intelligence capable of learning without human intervention.
Saturn's rings are raining down methane
10-18-2017
NASA has revealed the discovery of methane and other chemicals in the gas giant's upper atmosphere.
Recreating your face from DNA
Posted 10-18-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to determine someone's appearance from a sample of their DNA ?

Schlieren imaging in color
Posted 10-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at Schlieren imaging - a technique that can help to visualize tiny differences in air.

Glowing creatures of the deep
Posted 10-15-2017 | 0 comments
This vintage clip sees Sir David Attenborough descending in to the dark depths of the sea.

Slow motion pellet split
Posted 10-14-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to split an air gun pellet with a knife to pop two balloons.

Dog with world's longest tongue
Posted 10-12-2017 | 2 comments
Meet Mochi Rickert - a female St Bernard with a tongue measuring 18.58 cm in length.

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia

Impossible phone call
10-18-2017 | West Virginia

Seeing cats
10-18-2017 | Santa Rosa

Fourth of July UFO show
10-18-2017 | Hillsboro ND

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland