Sunday, April 23, 2017

Woman is terrified of newspapers

Posted on Tuesday, 28 January, 2014 | Comment icon 20 comments

The peculiar fear is known as Cloephobia. Image Credit: sxc.hu
One woman from Kent suffers form an unusual phobia that makes her frightened of newspapers.
Diane Freelove has had to endure a paralyzing fear of paper-based publications for more than 25 years, attributing her unusual phobia to uncomfortable childhood experiences involving her father playfully hitting her mother on the head with a rolled up newspaper.

"When I visit a shop, I walk as far away as I can from the newsstand," she says. "I canít go anywhere near someone who has got one and, if they approach me, I freak out." The 49-year-old has even taken to posting a sign on her door to ask paperboys not to deliver to her address.

Known as Cloephobia, a fear of newspapers is quite rare but not unheard of. It isn't clear exactly how it develops, but like many phobias it can cause the sufferer a great deal of distress in their daily life, even if it might sound rather strange to those who aren't afflicted with it.

Source: Metro | Comments (20)

Tags: Newspaper

Comment icon #11 Posted by toast on 28 January, 2014, 19:30
As she looks grazy anyway, the newspaper guy had luck due to her quirk anyway.
Comment icon #12 Posted by ShadowBoy86x on 29 January, 2014, 16:22
How come i cant find anything on google about Cloephobia, i smell a fake lol
Comment icon #13 Posted by ROGER on 29 January, 2014, 20:42
Here are some others . http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/phobias-so-weird-theyll-scare-you/story-fn907478-1226499319426
Comment icon #14 Posted by Still Waters on 29 January, 2014, 21:53
How come i cant find anything on google about Cloephobia, i smell a fake lol The article says chloephobia - you have the wrong spelling. http://www.chacha.co...f-the-newspaper
Comment icon #15 Posted by regeneratia on 3 February, 2014, 0:18
Comment icon #16 Posted by Eldorado on 3 February, 2014, 4:36
I lved with a guy who didn't like newspapers. Newspapers irked him. I don't know why. I just accepted his need to avoid them. Did you never press him on it?
Comment icon #17 Posted by Calibeliever on 3 February, 2014, 15:48
Did you never press him on it?
Comment icon #18 Posted by regeneratia on 7 February, 2014, 1:19
Did you never press him on it? Oh that is funny! And there is a serious irony there which you would easily get if you had my personal data.
Comment icon #19 Posted by acute on 8 February, 2014, 20:40
I'm not afraid of the newspaper, but the news itself. Scary. I am not afraid of newspapers or news, just the Daily Mail.
Comment icon #20 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 11 February, 2014, 15:50
She would be the perfect spokesperson for canines abused by disciplinary newspaper action.

'Most Haunted' crew films 'ghost' in old house
4-22-2017
The footage shows a shadowy figure walking up a staircase in a stately home in Rotherham, England.
Mystery haul of gold coins found inside piano
4-22-2017
The treasure trove was found in Shropshire, England inside an old school piano that was being retuned.
'Hobbits' much older than previously thought
4-21-2017
Scientists have revealed that Homo floresiensis is actually one of the earliest known forms of human.
Ancient carvings confirm deadly comet strike
4-21-2017
Symbols found at Gobekli Tepe seem to confirm that a comet struck the Earth in the year 10,950 B.C.
The human bridge of musicality
Posted 4-22-2017 | 0 comments
A look at how the human brain perceives the concept of music and how it is processed.

Swarm of locusts
Posted 4-21-2017 | 0 comments
A look at the extreme destructive power of an enormous swarm of desert locusts.

Lawrence Krauss on optimism
Posted 4-20-2017 | 0 comments
Physicist Lawrence Krauss discusses the fact that the universe doesn't care about us at all.

A whale of a time capsule
Posted 4-19-2017 | 1 comment
Researchers investigate old newspapers used in a 1930s museum display of a blue whale.

Can space junk kill you ?
Posted 4-18-2017 | 0 comments
With so much junk floating around in orbit, how likely is it to actually kill you ?

Grandpa's visit
4-14-2017 | Portugal

Mysterious dog
4-14-2017 | Utah

A night to remember
4-14-2017 | Philippines

Am I going crazy ?
3-30-2017 | South Africa

Sleep paralysis or my father ?
3-30-2017 | Los Angeles