Friday, August 18, 2017

Woman is terrified of newspapers

Posted on Tuesday, 28 January, 2014 | Comment icon 20 comments

The peculiar fear is known as Cloephobia. Image Credit: sxc.hu
One woman from Kent suffers form an unusual phobia that makes her frightened of newspapers.
Diane Freelove has had to endure a paralyzing fear of paper-based publications for more than 25 years, attributing her unusual phobia to uncomfortable childhood experiences involving her father playfully hitting her mother on the head with a rolled up newspaper.

"When I visit a shop, I walk as far away as I can from the newsstand," she says. "I canít go anywhere near someone who has got one and, if they approach me, I freak out." The 49-year-old has even taken to posting a sign on her door to ask paperboys not to deliver to her address.

Known as Cloephobia, a fear of newspapers is quite rare but not unheard of. It isn't clear exactly how it develops, but like many phobias it can cause the sufferer a great deal of distress in their daily life, even if it might sound rather strange to those who aren't afflicted with it.

Source: Metro | Comments (20)

Tags: Newspaper

Comment icon #11 Posted by toast on 28 January, 2014, 19:30
As she looks grazy anyway, the newspaper guy had luck due to her quirk anyway.
Comment icon #12 Posted by ShadowBoy86x on 29 January, 2014, 16:22
How come i cant find anything on google about Cloephobia, i smell a fake lol
Comment icon #13 Posted by ROGER on 29 January, 2014, 20:42
Here are some others . http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/phobias-so-weird-theyll-scare-you/story-fn907478-1226499319426
Comment icon #14 Posted by Still Waters on 29 January, 2014, 21:53
How come i cant find anything on google about Cloephobia, i smell a fake lol The article says chloephobia - you have the wrong spelling. http://www.chacha.co...f-the-newspaper
Comment icon #15 Posted by regeneratia on 3 February, 2014, 0:18
Comment icon #16 Posted by Eldorado on 3 February, 2014, 4:36
I lved with a guy who didn't like newspapers. Newspapers irked him. I don't know why. I just accepted his need to avoid them. Did you never press him on it?
Comment icon #17 Posted by Calibeliever on 3 February, 2014, 15:48
Did you never press him on it?
Comment icon #18 Posted by regeneratia on 7 February, 2014, 1:19
Did you never press him on it? Oh that is funny! And there is a serious irony there which you would easily get if you had my personal data.
Comment icon #19 Posted by acute on 8 February, 2014, 20:40
I'm not afraid of the newspaper, but the news itself. Scary. I am not afraid of newspapers or news, just the Daily Mail.
Comment icon #20 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 11 February, 2014, 15:50
She would be the perfect spokesperson for canines abused by disciplinary newspaper action.

Thieves in Germany steal 20 tons of chocolate
8-18-2017
The unusual heist saw a trailer loaded with confectionery being driven away in the town of Neustadt.
Mystery of distant Kuiper Belt object deepens
8-17-2017
The next target of NASA's New Horizons probe is a space rock with some rather intriguing properties.
Scientists solve animal evolution mystery
8-17-2017
A sea algae boom has been credited with the rise of the first complex life forms in Earth's distant past.
Man finds snake on a supermarket pineapple
8-17-2017
A man in Edinburgh got the fright of his life on Tuesday when he found the reptile in his shopping.
Adam Savage meets an alien
Posted 8-18-2017 | 1 comment
The former MythBuster checks out the animatronic alien from the movie Alien Covenant.

Concrete blocks chest smash
Posted 8-17-2017 | 0 comments
Multiple world record holder Ali Bahcetepe has 16 concrete blocks smashed on his chest.

Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

Will batteries power the world ?
Posted 8-14-2017 | 0 comments
Is there a limit to how small and light a rechargeable lithium-ion battery can be ?

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY

Shapeshifter
8-18-2017 | Cranbrook British Columbia

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia