Thursday, October 19, 2017

Woman is terrified of newspapers

Posted on Tuesday, 28 January, 2014 | Comment icon 20 comments

The peculiar fear is known as Cloephobia. Image Credit: sxc.hu
One woman from Kent suffers form an unusual phobia that makes her frightened of newspapers.
Diane Freelove has had to endure a paralyzing fear of paper-based publications for more than 25 years, attributing her unusual phobia to uncomfortable childhood experiences involving her father playfully hitting her mother on the head with a rolled up newspaper.

"When I visit a shop, I walk as far away as I can from the newsstand," she says. "I canít go anywhere near someone who has got one and, if they approach me, I freak out." The 49-year-old has even taken to posting a sign on her door to ask paperboys not to deliver to her address.

Known as Cloephobia, a fear of newspapers is quite rare but not unheard of. It isn't clear exactly how it develops, but like many phobias it can cause the sufferer a great deal of distress in their daily life, even if it might sound rather strange to those who aren't afflicted with it.

Source: Metro | Comments (20)

Tags: Newspaper

Comment icon #11 Posted by toast on 28 January, 2014, 19:30
As she looks grazy anyway, the newspaper guy had luck due to her quirk anyway.
Comment icon #12 Posted by ShadowBoy86x on 29 January, 2014, 16:22
How come i cant find anything on google about Cloephobia, i smell a fake lol
Comment icon #13 Posted by ROGER on 29 January, 2014, 20:42
Here are some others . http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/phobias-so-weird-theyll-scare-you/story-fn907478-1226499319426
Comment icon #14 Posted by Still Waters on 29 January, 2014, 21:53
How come i cant find anything on google about Cloephobia, i smell a fake lol The article says chloephobia - you have the wrong spelling. http://www.chacha.co...f-the-newspaper
Comment icon #15 Posted by regeneratia on 3 February, 2014, 0:18
Comment icon #16 Posted by Eldorado on 3 February, 2014, 4:36
I lved with a guy who didn't like newspapers. Newspapers irked him. I don't know why. I just accepted his need to avoid them. Did you never press him on it?
Comment icon #17 Posted by Calibeliever on 3 February, 2014, 15:48
Did you never press him on it?
Comment icon #18 Posted by regeneratia on 7 February, 2014, 1:19
Did you never press him on it? Oh that is funny! And there is a serious irony there which you would easily get if you had my personal data.
Comment icon #19 Posted by acute on 8 February, 2014, 20:40
I'm not afraid of the newspaper, but the news itself. Scary. I am not afraid of newspapers or news, just the Daily Mail.
Comment icon #20 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 11 February, 2014, 15:50
She would be the perfect spokesperson for canines abused by disciplinary newspaper action.

Google invents an AI that learns on its own
10-18-2017
The search giant has developed an artificial intelligence capable of learning without human intervention.
Saturn's rings are raining down methane
10-18-2017
NASA has revealed the discovery of methane and other chemicals in the gas giant's upper atmosphere.
48 million-year-old bird fossil unearthed
10-18-2017
A prehistoric species of bird that preened itself like a flamingo has been discovered in Germany.
Bolsover Castle is voted 'England's spookiest'
10-17-2017
Built on an ancient burial ground, Bolsover Castle in Derbyshire has a reputation for being haunted.
Recreating your face from DNA
Posted 10-18-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to determine someone's appearance from a sample of their DNA ?

Schlieren imaging in color
Posted 10-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at Schlieren imaging - a technique that can help to visualize tiny differences in air.

Glowing creatures of the deep
Posted 10-15-2017 | 0 comments
This vintage clip sees Sir David Attenborough descending in to the dark depths of the sea.

Slow motion pellet split
Posted 10-14-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to split an air gun pellet with a knife to pop two balloons.

Dog with world's longest tongue
Posted 10-12-2017 | 2 comments
Meet Mochi Rickert - a female St Bernard with a tongue measuring 18.58 cm in length.

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia

Impossible phone call
10-18-2017 | West Virginia

Seeing cats
10-18-2017 | Santa Rosa

Fourth of July UFO show
10-18-2017 | Hillsboro ND

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland