Friday, December 9, 2016

Woman is terrified of newspapers

Posted on Tuesday, 28 January, 2014 | Comment icon 20 comments

The peculiar fear is known as Cloephobia. Image Credit: sxc.hu
One woman from Kent suffers form an unusual phobia that makes her frightened of newspapers.
Diane Freelove has had to endure a paralyzing fear of paper-based publications for more than 25 years, attributing her unusual phobia to uncomfortable childhood experiences involving her father playfully hitting her mother on the head with a rolled up newspaper.

"When I visit a shop, I walk as far away as I can from the newsstand," she says. "I canít go anywhere near someone who has got one and, if they approach me, I freak out." The 49-year-old has even taken to posting a sign on her door to ask paperboys not to deliver to her address.

Known as Cloephobia, a fear of newspapers is quite rare but not unheard of. It isn't clear exactly how it develops, but like many phobias it can cause the sufferer a great deal of distress in their daily life, even if it might sound rather strange to those who aren't afflicted with it.

Source: Metro | Comments (20)

Tags: Newspaper

Comment icon #11 Posted by toast on 28 January, 2014, 19:30
As she looks grazy anyway, the newspaper guy had luck due to her quirk anyway.
Comment icon #12 Posted by ShadowBoy86x on 29 January, 2014, 16:22
How come i cant find anything on google about Cloephobia, i smell a fake lol
Comment icon #13 Posted by ROGER on 29 January, 2014, 20:42
Here are some others . http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/phobias-so-weird-theyll-scare-you/story-fn907478-1226499319426
Comment icon #14 Posted by Still Waters on 29 January, 2014, 21:53
How come i cant find anything on google about Cloephobia, i smell a fake lol The article says chloephobia - you have the wrong spelling. http://www.chacha.co...f-the-newspaper
Comment icon #15 Posted by regeneratia on 3 February, 2014, 0:18
Comment icon #16 Posted by Eldorado on 3 February, 2014, 4:36
I lved with a guy who didn't like newspapers. Newspapers irked him. I don't know why. I just accepted his need to avoid them. Did you never press him on it?
Comment icon #17 Posted by Calibeliever on 3 February, 2014, 15:48
Did you never press him on it?
Comment icon #18 Posted by regeneratia on 7 February, 2014, 1:19
Did you never press him on it? Oh that is funny! And there is a serious irony there which you would easily get if you had my personal data.
Comment icon #19 Posted by acute on 8 February, 2014, 20:40
I'm not afraid of the newspaper, but the news itself. Scary. I am not afraid of newspapers or news, just the Daily Mail.
Comment icon #20 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 11 February, 2014, 15:50
She would be the perfect spokesperson for canines abused by disciplinary newspaper action.

New Rendlesham UFO witness comes forward
12-9-2016
A former security police officer has described the object he witnessed that night as 'not of this world'.
Legendary astronaut John Glenn dies aged 95
12-9-2016
Glenn became a national hero back in 1962 when he became the first American ever to orbit the Earth.
Actual dinosaur tail found preserved in amber
12-8-2016
The unprecedented 99 million-year-old specimen contains preserved bones, soft tissues and feathers.
Mars One delays first manned mission to Mars
12-8-2016
The Netherlands-based firm has pushed back its ambitious plans by several years due to funding issues.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
Why do some coins have ridges ?
Posted 12-9-2016 | 2 comments
What is the purpose of the ridges found around the edges of some coins ?

Exploding 6ft water balloon in slow motion
Posted 12-8-2016 | 1 comment
The Slo Mo Guys film what happens when you sit inside a giant exploding water balloon.

What happens when you swallow gum ?
Posted 12-7-2016 | 3 comments
Ever swallowed a piece of chewing gum by accident ? Here's what happens.

Indestructible coating ?
Posted 12-6-2016 | 5 comments
A look at polyurea, an elastomer that can make objects extremely difficult to damage.

World's longest shout
Posted 12-5-2016 | 1 comment
Christian Kinner from Germany managed to shout for over 43 seconds non-stop.

Not my daughter