Sunday, June 25, 2017

Woman is terrified of newspapers

Posted on Tuesday, 28 January, 2014 | Comment icon 20 comments

The peculiar fear is known as Cloephobia. Image Credit: sxc.hu
One woman from Kent suffers form an unusual phobia that makes her frightened of newspapers.
Diane Freelove has had to endure a paralyzing fear of paper-based publications for more than 25 years, attributing her unusual phobia to uncomfortable childhood experiences involving her father playfully hitting her mother on the head with a rolled up newspaper.

"When I visit a shop, I walk as far away as I can from the newsstand," she says. "I canít go anywhere near someone who has got one and, if they approach me, I freak out." The 49-year-old has even taken to posting a sign on her door to ask paperboys not to deliver to her address.

Known as Cloephobia, a fear of newspapers is quite rare but not unheard of. It isn't clear exactly how it develops, but like many phobias it can cause the sufferer a great deal of distress in their daily life, even if it might sound rather strange to those who aren't afflicted with it.

Source: Metro | Comments (20)

Tags: Newspaper

Comment icon #11 Posted by toast on 28 January, 2014, 19:30
As she looks grazy anyway, the newspaper guy had luck due to her quirk anyway.
Comment icon #12 Posted by ShadowBoy86x on 29 January, 2014, 16:22
How come i cant find anything on google about Cloephobia, i smell a fake lol
Comment icon #13 Posted by ROGER on 29 January, 2014, 20:42
Here are some others . http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/phobias-so-weird-theyll-scare-you/story-fn907478-1226499319426
Comment icon #14 Posted by Still Waters on 29 January, 2014, 21:53
How come i cant find anything on google about Cloephobia, i smell a fake lol The article says chloephobia - you have the wrong spelling. http://www.chacha.co...f-the-newspaper
Comment icon #15 Posted by regeneratia on 3 February, 2014, 0:18
Comment icon #16 Posted by Eldorado on 3 February, 2014, 4:36
I lved with a guy who didn't like newspapers. Newspapers irked him. I don't know why. I just accepted his need to avoid them. Did you never press him on it?
Comment icon #17 Posted by Calibeliever on 3 February, 2014, 15:48
Did you never press him on it?
Comment icon #18 Posted by regeneratia on 7 February, 2014, 1:19
Did you never press him on it? Oh that is funny! And there is a serious irony there which you would easily get if you had my personal data.
Comment icon #19 Posted by acute on 8 February, 2014, 20:40
I'm not afraid of the newspaper, but the news itself. Scary. I am not afraid of newspapers or news, just the Daily Mail.
Comment icon #20 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 11 February, 2014, 15:50
She would be the perfect spokesperson for canines abused by disciplinary newspaper action.

Stories, Sightings & Experiences
  Strange orb
  So we had a crazy night at preachermans house
  I Need Help!
 Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs
  Define "God".
  Angel from Heaven or a Reflection??
  Religion
Deer filmed engaging in bizarre 'slap fight'
6-25-2017
Footage recorded by a wildlife camera in Tennessee shows two whitetail bucks slapping each other silly.
Mystery of Dubai Marina's orange water solved
6-25-2017
The alarm was raised in Dubai last week after the water started to turn a disconcerting orange color.
Could the universe itself be conscious ?
6-25-2017
The idea that the cosmos may be self-aware has intrigued scientists and philosophers for centuries.
Scientists crack mystery of avian egg shape
6-24-2017
Researchers have finally worked out why some bird eggs are rounder while others are more pointy.
Longest marble run
Posted 6-25-2017 | 1 comment
This record-breaking marble run in Elgg, Switzerland stretched 1,918.12 meters through the town.

Predicting disasters
Posted 6-24-2017 | 0 comments
Richard A. Clarke talks about the ways in which catastrophes can be predicted in advance.

How big are spacecraft ?
Posted 6-23-2017 | 2 comments
Most images of spacecraft are set in space, which makes it hard to judge relative size.

Eusocial animals
Posted 6-22-2017 | 1 comment
How do ants and termites manage to create such enormous and impressive structures ?

Seeing the invisible
Posted 6-21-2017 | 0 comments
What if you could see invisible air currents, temperature gradients and pressure differences ?

Craig is here
6-10-2017 | Phoenix AZ

We saw the same thing!
6-10-2017 | Pooler, GA

Three female faces
6-5-2017 | Illinois (IL)

Encounter at 3:33 AM
6-5-2017 | Budapest

Trade school terror
5-26-2017 | Cedro woolley, Wa.

Someone is on my bed