Monday, July 24, 2017

NOAA claims Bermuda Triangle is just a myth

Posted on Monday, 10 February, 2014 | Comment icon 65 comments

Several ships and planes have vanished in the Bermuda Triangle. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Vix_B
The agency has played down reports of mysterious disappearances in the region over the years.
Covering a wide area between Miami, Puerto Rico and the island of Bermuda, the triangle has been the subject of stories and myths for years. The mysterious disappearances of ships and planes within its boundaries have been blamed on everything from extraterrestrial intervention to giant whirlpools, yet despite extensive search-and-rescue operations no conclusive explanation for these losses has ever been found.

Now the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has weighed in on the debate by declaring that all the stories surrounding the triangle are nonsense and that there is nothing out of the ordinary happening there at all.

"There is no evidence that mysterious disappearances occur with any greater frequency in the Bermuda Triangle than in any other large, well-traveled area of the ocean," the agency wrote on its website.

The US Coast Guard also seems to concur with the NOAA's stance. "The Coast Guard does not recognize the existence of the so-called Bermuda Triangle as a geographic area of specific hazard to ships or planes," said a spokesman. "In a review of many aircraft and vessel losses in the area over the years, there has been nothing discovered that would indicate that casualties were the result of anything other than physical causes."

Source: Sun Sentinel | Comments (65)

Tags: Bermuda Triangle

Comment icon #56 Posted by Babe Ruth on 27 February, 2014, 13:20
That was thoroughly debunked on this thread here http://www.unexplain...topic=258115= Bruce Gernon is at best a fool and at worst a charlatan. I tend to think he is a bit of both with a bit of brain damage mixed in. I tell you Merc, one of my life's ambition, at age 66, is to be fortunate enough to be in your august presence. I would be that much closer to heaven, if only to be in the presence of one as smart as you are.
Comment icon #57 Posted by Merc14 on 27 February, 2014, 13:42
I tell you Merc, one of my life's ambition, at age 66, is to be fortunate enough to be in your august presence. I would be that much closer to heaven, if only to be in the presence of one as smart as you are. So you agree that Bruce Gernon is a charlatan or worse! Great! See you are teachable and thanks for recognizing my role in your education but there were many others with far better input, so maybe you should thank them as well and congrats on your growth as a human. Never too old to learn something new like critical thought and its application to magical stories
Comment icon #58 Posted by stereologist on 27 February, 2014, 13:49
I tell you Merc, one of my life's ambition, at age 66, is to be fortunate enough to be in your august presence. I would be that much closer to heaven, if only to be in the presence of one as smart as you are. The ability to learn and think through problems is something anyone can learn at any age. BR you too can learn to think through issues. It's a simple a simple matter of learning to turn off the urge to swallow the hook, line, and sinker in one gulp and question the validity of statements that are made. Begin with the easiest to verify issues such as numbers or places or similar pieces of ... [More]
Comment icon #59 Posted by psyche101 on 4 March, 2014, 7:22
I tell you Merc, one of my life's ambition, at age 66, is to be fortunate enough to be in your august presence. I would be that much closer to heaven, if only to be in the presence of one as smart as you are. Have you ever considered reading something that was not first penned by Alex Jones? An entire new world awaits you.
Comment icon #60 Posted by qxcontinuum on 6 March, 2014, 4:49
Comment icon #61 Posted by sinewave on 6 March, 2014, 7:21
I'm inclined to agree with NOAA on this. All commercial ships are insured against loss. Insurance companies are really very good at assessing risk. Having said that, the arbitrary triangular area of ocean in question is one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world. If there was a substantial risk to being in there, the insurance companies would know about it and would require ships to route around it. There are no statistics that support the notion of ship or plane loss being any more likely there than anywhere else in the world. It is really just a lot of media hype and mythology.
Comment icon #62 Posted by Merc14 on 6 March, 2014, 18:42
I've watches recently on national Geographic a documentary talking about some space time distortion vortex caused by electro magnetic anomalies. It seems some modern planes have travelled way to fast or slow on some distances according to the onboard clock versus base control. In the same time often the fuel tank is emptying faster on short distances than it would normally do in other routes. You need to clarify what you are talkiing about here because Einstein predicted that clocks run slower the faster their speed that clocks run slower the stronger the gravity around it. What this means is ... [More]
Comment icon #63 Posted by Bavarian Raven on 16 March, 2014, 2:50
Of course it is just a myth, doesn't mean a lot of planes and ships haven't disappeared without a trace though. But if that's all it takes to make an area cursed, the pacific north west and especially the graveyard of the pacific must be uberly-cursed then ~ Not to derail this thread, but...that being said, does anyone remember the case of that plane in the early 1960s (I believe it was a DC of some make) that was en-route to Miami, on radar and within fifty kilometres of the airport when it vanished. I remember reading about this case ages ago, but cannot remember where. I believe no trace of... [More]
Comment icon #64 Posted by Colonel Rhubarb on 16 March, 2014, 17:17
Perhaps it's moved to Malaysia.
Comment icon #65 Posted by Gummug on 21 May, 2014, 8:30

New species of giant sunfish discovered
7-24-2017
Marine researcher Marianne Nyegaard has identified the first new species of sunfish in over 130 years.
Nazi gold reportedly found in WWII shipwreck
7-24-2017
A chest thought to be filled with Nazi gold has been found in the wreckage of the scuttled SS Minden.
Mystery woman 'wails through letterboxes'
7-23-2017
Several households in England have been plagued by a woman crying through their letterboxes at night.
Robot ventures inside Fukushima reactor 3
7-23-2017
Scientists in Japan have identified what could be fuel debris within the devastated nuclear reactor.
Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI