Tuesday, August 16, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Ancient Mysteries > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Ancient Mysteries

Archaeological treasures found on Dartmoor

February 11, 2014 | Comment icon 7 comments

Looking out across the moor. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Herbythyme
Jewellery, animal pelts and amber beads are among the finds retrieved from a 4,000-year-old tomb.
Considered by archaeologists to be the most significant discovery ever made on the moor, the chamber ( or "cist" ) on Whitehorse Hill was opened to reveal a remarkably well-preserved burial of cremated remains.

Wrapped in an animal pelt, the remains contained a number of artifacts including textiles, a coiled bag and a bracelet with tin beads, only 8 of which have been found on Dartmoor within the last century.

"Visibly it's not as impressive as Stonehenge, but archaeologically it's just as important," said chief archaeologist Jane Marchand.

Researchers are now awaiting DNA test results to find out what animal the pelts had come from.

Source: BBC News | Comments (7)

Comment icon #1 Posted by DumpsterJesus 9 years ago
When I first read the quoted section, I thought it said 'on the moon' not 'on the moor'. I thought to myself "Wait... WHAT?!" Thank goodness I did a double take. It's too early for me to be reading things.
Comment icon #2 Posted by moonshadow60 9 years ago
Amazing! It is in a part of England that is dear to me, although I will never see it in person. My father's mother grew up in the south of Devon.
Comment icon #3 Posted by davros of skaro 9 years ago
Untainted goodies...Yay!
Comment icon #4 Posted by GreenmansGod 9 years ago
I wish there was a link with more pictures.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Zaranne 9 years ago
Jewellery...someone REALLY need to learn how to spell...
Comment icon #6 Posted by Eldorado 9 years ago
Jewellery...someone REALLY need to learn how to spell... tsk tsk The different spellings of jewellery in British and American English can cause confusion. The British spelling jewellery adds -lery to jewel, while the American spellin? jewelry adds -ry. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/jewellery
Comment icon #7 Posted by Eldorado 9 years ago
I wish there was a link with more pictures. Short Video http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-21442474 Pics http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=29778

Total Posts: 7,314,048    Topics: 300,926    Members: 198,010