Thursday, September 29, 2016

New study warns of impending global collapse

Posted on Monday, 17 March, 2014 | Comment icon 92 comments

Will modern society survive the next few decades ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 NikoLang
A new scientific study has suggested that modern civilization may collapse within a matter of decades.
The grim prediction is based on theoretical models depicting what is likely to happen to the industrialized world over the next few years. The risks, the study claims, are based on economic instability and too much pressure being placed on the planet's natural resources.

"The process of rise-and-collapse is actually a recurrent cycle found throughout history," said mathematician Safa Motesharri who looked at a number of the dominant factors that contributed to the collapse of historical civilizations such as the Roman Empire.

Of particular relevance is the way in which society is split in to the 'elites' and the 'masses'.

"Even using an optimal depletion rate and starting with a very small number of Elites, the Elites eventually consume too much, resulting in a famine among the Masses that eventually causes the collapse of society," Motesharri wrote.

The scientists behind the report however have stressed that even if their predictions prove accurate, there is still much we can do to steer society away from disaster.

"Collapse can be avoided and population can reach equilibrium if the per capita rate of depletion of nature is reduced to a sustainable level, and if resources are distributed in a reasonably equitable fashion," they wrote.

Source: Independent | Comments (92)

Tags: Civilization, Population

Comment icon #83 Posted by regeneratia on 24 March, 2014, 4:25
The various systems that hold the ecosystem, public health and economic stsems together are coming under increasing strain. Evenetually, something's going to break. Doug Um, Yeah, we shouldn't be using nuclear power. Public health in the USA is sadly lacking already. And you can have th3e economics. I don't store my money in the bank. LOL!! I prepay the utility necessities. and -------- the rest. I have no attachment to the current public health and economic systems. I have worked in one of them. It is corrupt like nearly every other social system in this country.
Comment icon #84 Posted by Doug1o29 on 24 March, 2014, 12:48
Hard to believe that a couple billion people sucking on the natural resources of a planet would have a adverse effect... How about seven billion + ? Doug
Comment icon #85 Posted by Doug1o29 on 24 March, 2014, 12:52
I have no attachment to the current public health and economic systems. I have worked in one of them. It is corrupt like nearly every other social system in this country. If you're posting on UM, you are using a computer made of copper, plastic and other raw materials provided by the economic system. Unless you generated the power yourself, the electricity that runs your computer was provided by that economic system, and even if you did, the generator was provided by the economic system. You're inextricably linked to the system whether you like it or not. Doug
Comment icon #86 Posted by Frank Merton on 24 March, 2014, 12:56
Comment icon #87 Posted by Br Cornelius on 24 March, 2014, 15:10
I wonder which comes more often, predictions of economic collapse or predictions from some archaeologist that he's read some inion telling us the world ends next year. History is replete with collapsed civilizations. The difference is that in the past they were unlikely to have understood the warning signs so would have been unable to do anything about it. Science allows us to see the warning signs now - and it has become our choice to do nothing about it. Is that progress ? Br Cornelius
Comment icon #88 Posted by Doug1o29 on 24 March, 2014, 15:12
I wonder which comes more often, predictions of economic collapse or predictions from some archaeologist that he's read some inion telling us the world ends next year. If you like Doomsday economics, subscribe to "The Motley Fool." They've always got some economic crisis about to hit us. Doug
Comment icon #89 Posted by Frank Merton on 24 March, 2014, 15:16
Comment icon #90 Posted by Br Cornelius on 24 March, 2014, 15:23
They all seem to have a routine story about the coming depression about once a week. I think it's to keep that part of their readership happy. I have no doubt we will like earlier societies run out of resources. I would hope renewable and sustainable alternatives will be in place or close to being there. If not we will go the way of the others. Crying wolf however only makes doing real things about the problem more difficult as it introduces politics. Scientists are not crying wolf. The are a range of about a dozen key indicators all pointing to systemic collapse. All this report is doing is s... [More]
Comment icon #91 Posted by regeneratia on 24 March, 2014, 23:21
If you're posting on UM, you are using a computer made of copper, plastic and other raw materials provided by the economic system. Unless you generated the power yourself, the electricity that runs your computer was provided by that economic system, and even if you did, the generator was provided by the economic system. You're inextricably linked to the system whether you like it or not. Doug I also garden, collect hard copy books, including text books in engineering and science, anatomy and so on. I collect seeds. So I can give up this box of plastic and circuits, along with the electrosmag t... [More]
Comment icon #92 Posted by Doug1o29 on 25 March, 2014, 0:30
I also garden, collect hard copy books, including text books in engineering and science, anatomy and so on. I collect seeds. So I can give up this box of plastic and circuits, along with the electrosmag that is making the people of this world very ill, ... if I have to. Can you? I am also good to my neighbors and we have somewhat of a tight group going on. We will survive. You're probably better off than I would be. I live in town. I make my living on a computer. If the power goes off, I can't work - no paycheck. On the other hand, I am less than a five-minute walk from the University Farms an... [More]

SpaceX plans to send humans to Mars by 2022
9-28-2016
Elon Musk has outlined his extraordinarily ambitious plans to make mankind an interplanetary species.
Proteins found in prehistoric ostrich eggs
9-28-2016
Scientists have discovered the world's oldest genetic information within 3.8 million-year-old eggshells.
Police helicopter films UFO on thermal camera
9-27-2016
Thermal footage of a strange object flying over the Bristol Channel in the UK has been uploaded online.
Melting glaciers could expose Cold War base
9-27-2016
A secret US facility hidden beneath the ice is believed to contain significant amounts of nuclear waste.
Alaska's bubbling lakes
Posted 9-28-2016 | 0 comments
Many lakes in the boreal regions of Alaska are emitting copious amounts of methane gas.

Elephants unite
Posted 9-27-2016 | 0 comments
Two elephant families decide to join together on the plains of Africa in this BBC wildlife clip.

Why do we get pruney fingers in water ?
Posted 9-26-2016 | 2 comments
Why do your fingers turn in to prunes when you stay in the bath too long ?

Crushing shoes
Posted 9-25-2016 | 0 comments
What happens when you crush shoes in a high-powered hydraulic press ?

Meet the human torch
Posted 9-24-2016 | 0 comments
Josef Toedtling from Austria has made a successful career out of setting himself on fire.

Black magic
9-27-2016 | Mineral Wells, Texas

Crying mother
9-27-2016 | Centrol Mexico

Red-faced monster
9-14-2016 | Lox Florida

Locked door
9-14-2016 | Ho Chi Minh city/Vietnam

The visit
9-9-2016 | West Palm Beach, Fl

Translucent silent UFO
9-9-2016 | Brisbane/Australia

Sleep paralysis and strange activity
9-1-2016 | Tarpon Springs, FL