Saturday, July 23, 2016

New study warns of impending global collapse

Posted on Monday, 17 March, 2014 | Comment icon 92 comments

Will modern society survive the next few decades ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 NikoLang
A new scientific study has suggested that modern civilization may collapse within a matter of decades.
The grim prediction is based on theoretical models depicting what is likely to happen to the industrialized world over the next few years. The risks, the study claims, are based on economic instability and too much pressure being placed on the planet's natural resources.

"The process of rise-and-collapse is actually a recurrent cycle found throughout history," said mathematician Safa Motesharri who looked at a number of the dominant factors that contributed to the collapse of historical civilizations such as the Roman Empire.

Of particular relevance is the way in which society is split in to the 'elites' and the 'masses'.

"Even using an optimal depletion rate and starting with a very small number of Elites, the Elites eventually consume too much, resulting in a famine among the Masses that eventually causes the collapse of society," Motesharri wrote.

The scientists behind the report however have stressed that even if their predictions prove accurate, there is still much we can do to steer society away from disaster.

"Collapse can be avoided and population can reach equilibrium if the per capita rate of depletion of nature is reduced to a sustainable level, and if resources are distributed in a reasonably equitable fashion," they wrote.

Source: Independent | Comments (92)

Tags: Civilization, Population

Comment icon #83 Posted by regeneratia on 24 March, 2014, 4:25
The various systems that hold the ecosystem, public health and economic stsems together are coming under increasing strain. Evenetually, something's going to break. Doug Um, Yeah, we shouldn't be using nuclear power. Public health in the USA is sadly lacking already. And you can have th3e economics. I don't store my money in the bank. LOL!! I prepay the utility necessities. and -------- the rest. I have no attachment to the current public health and economic systems. I have worked in one of them. It is corrupt like nearly every other social system in this country.
Comment icon #84 Posted by Doug1o29 on 24 March, 2014, 12:48
Hard to believe that a couple billion people sucking on the natural resources of a planet would have a adverse effect... How about seven billion + ? Doug
Comment icon #85 Posted by Doug1o29 on 24 March, 2014, 12:52
I have no attachment to the current public health and economic systems. I have worked in one of them. It is corrupt like nearly every other social system in this country. If you're posting on UM, you are using a computer made of copper, plastic and other raw materials provided by the economic system. Unless you generated the power yourself, the electricity that runs your computer was provided by that economic system, and even if you did, the generator was provided by the economic system. You're inextricably linked to the system whether you like it or not. Doug
Comment icon #86 Posted by Frank Merton on 24 March, 2014, 12:56
Comment icon #87 Posted by Br Cornelius on 24 March, 2014, 15:10
I wonder which comes more often, predictions of economic collapse or predictions from some archaeologist that he's read some inion telling us the world ends next year. History is replete with collapsed civilizations. The difference is that in the past they were unlikely to have understood the warning signs so would have been unable to do anything about it. Science allows us to see the warning signs now - and it has become our choice to do nothing about it. Is that progress ? Br Cornelius
Comment icon #88 Posted by Doug1o29 on 24 March, 2014, 15:12
I wonder which comes more often, predictions of economic collapse or predictions from some archaeologist that he's read some inion telling us the world ends next year. If you like Doomsday economics, subscribe to "The Motley Fool." They've always got some economic crisis about to hit us. Doug
Comment icon #89 Posted by Frank Merton on 24 March, 2014, 15:16
Comment icon #90 Posted by Br Cornelius on 24 March, 2014, 15:23
They all seem to have a routine story about the coming depression about once a week. I think it's to keep that part of their readership happy. I have no doubt we will like earlier societies run out of resources. I would hope renewable and sustainable alternatives will be in place or close to being there. If not we will go the way of the others. Crying wolf however only makes doing real things about the problem more difficult as it introduces politics. Scientists are not crying wolf. The are a range of about a dozen key indicators all pointing to systemic collapse. All this report is doing is s... [More]
Comment icon #91 Posted by regeneratia on 24 March, 2014, 23:21
If you're posting on UM, you are using a computer made of copper, plastic and other raw materials provided by the economic system. Unless you generated the power yourself, the electricity that runs your computer was provided by that economic system, and even if you did, the generator was provided by the economic system. You're inextricably linked to the system whether you like it or not. Doug I also garden, collect hard copy books, including text books in engineering and science, anatomy and so on. I collect seeds. So I can give up this box of plastic and circuits, along with the electrosmag t... [More]
Comment icon #92 Posted by Doug1o29 on 25 March, 2014, 0:30
I also garden, collect hard copy books, including text books in engineering and science, anatomy and so on. I collect seeds. So I can give up this box of plastic and circuits, along with the electrosmag that is making the people of this world very ill, ... if I have to. Can you? I am also good to my neighbors and we have somewhat of a tight group going on. We will survive. You're probably better off than I would be. I live in town. I make my living on a computer. If the power goes off, I can't work - no paycheck. On the other hand, I am less than a five-minute walk from the University Farms an... [More]

Da Vinci's scribbles reveal hidden knowledge
7-23-2016
Sketches demonstrating the laws of friction have been identified within the margins of Da Vinci's notes.
Mystery substance floods Tokyo underground
7-23-2016
A peculiar, foul smelling black liquid has been filmed pouring out in to an underground walkway in Japan.
What made the Man in the Moon's right eye ?
7-23-2016
Researchers in the US have been able to determine the origins of one of the moon's largest craters.
Ground in Siberia is starting to go bouncy
7-22-2016
The unseasonably warmer weather appears to be having an adverse effect on the Siberian permafrost.
Trans-Atlantic solar powered flight
Posted 7-23-2016 | 0 comments
A look at Solar Impulse 2, the aircraft that crossed the Atlantic using the power of the sun.

The Earth from space
Posted 7-22-2016 | 0 comments
A view of our home planet as seen through the EPIC camera on the NOAA's DSCOVR satellite

How are Oreos made ?
Posted 7-21-2016 | 2 comments
A look at the manufacturing processes involved in the creation of Oreo cookies.

Extreme landscapes: Death Valley
Posted 7-20-2016 | 0 comments
A look at Death Valley where, in 1934, temperatures soared to 134 degrees fahrenheit.

Can sound kill you ?
Posted 7-19-2016 | 4 comments
Is it possible for a particularly loud noise to actually kill you ?

Three knocks in the night
6-28-2016 | Cedar City, Utah