Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Rover photographs mystery light on Mars

Posted on Tuesday, 8 April, 2014 | Comment icon 148 comments

Curiosity's snap of the mysterious light. Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
NASA's Curiosity rover has managed to capture an image of an anomalous light on the Martian surface.
The strange speck of light appears to be on the ground just below the edge of the foreground terrain and has generated a great deal of interest since the image was published online.

While some believe that the light signifies evidence of intelligent life, others are more skeptical. NBC News reported that the light does not appear on images taken by Curiosity's left-hand camera which suggests it could actually be a fragment of lost data on the image.

An imaging expert at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory believes that this could have been the result of a cosmic ray hit.

Source: News.com.au | Comments (148)

Tags: Curiosity, Mars

Comment icon #139 Posted by Gaden on 16 April, 2014, 20:26
A Second Source of Light detected by the Rover. Curiosity Sol 568. http://www.abovetops...read1007926/pg1 I followed the link and I followed the conversation, I have to say, with out a doubt, it contains some of the stupidest posters ever.
Comment icon #140 Posted by badeskov on 17 April, 2014, 0:22
I followed the link and I followed the conversation, I have to say, with out a doubt, it contains some of the stupidest posters ever. I must admit I did too and I read a good portion of the thread. Good grief, it was a tragicomic experience. Cheers, Badeskov
Comment icon #141 Posted by Hida Akechi on 17 April, 2014, 0:24
I followed the link and I followed the conversation, I have to say, with out a doubt, it contains some of the stupidest posters ever. That, sir, made me guffaw quite long and loudly. My sides hurt. Thanks.
Comment icon #142 Posted by DieChecker on 17 April, 2014, 1:25
I followed the link and I followed the conversation, I have to say, with out a doubt, it contains some of the stupidest posters ever. AboveTopSecret used to be a fairly interesting place to read and post, but it is tragic now.
Comment icon #143 Posted by qxcontinuum on 19 April, 2014, 5:38
So much deviation from the main subject...
Comment icon #144 Posted by badeskov on 20 April, 2014, 23:36
AboveTopSecret used to be a fairly interesting place to read and post, but it is tragic now. Never posted, but read a bit. Frankly, now it is a mess, to put it mildly. Cheers, Badeskov
Comment icon #145 Posted by qxcontinuum on 23 April, 2014, 5:54
Comment icon #146 Posted by seeder on 24 April, 2014, 10:49
and another one left uper corner . Strange enough like in all other photos the bright light appears to the lefy uper part of the picture. theres probably a clue in that then
Comment icon #147 Posted by Calibeliever on 24 April, 2014, 14:55
I would have thought a group this intelligent would have moved on directly after learning that the anomoly only appeared in one of two cameras taking the exact same photo.
Comment icon #148 Posted by AZDZ on 24 April, 2014, 17:49
That isn't a new one, qxconn. It the same img linked to back on page one, post 8. http://news.yahoo.co...-143042715.html Is it different from the one linked to by the OP, 'cause that page doesn't work for me.

60% of primate species are facing extinction
1-18-2017
A worrying new study has shown just how vulnerable many of the world's primate species actually are.
CIA uploads millions of declassified files
1-18-2017
The documents cover everything from UFO sightings to government-backed remote viewing experiments.
Curiosity discovers metallic meteorite on Mars
1-18-2017
The rover has come across what scientists believe to be an iron-nickel meteorite on the Martian surface.
New video reveals Huygens' harrowing descent
1-17-2017
NASA has released a new video recreating the Huygens probe's historic touchdown on Saturn's moon Titan.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
Kowloon Walled City
Posted 1-18-2017 | 1 comment
A look at what was once the most densely populated area on the surface of the planet.

Marshmallows in a vacuum
Posted 1-16-2017 | 2 comments
What happens to a pile of marshmallows when all the air is removed ?

Fighting fire with fire
Posted 1-15-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage learns whether it is possible to use fire (or the sound of fire) to put out fire.

Washing machine throwing
Posted 1-14-2017 | 8 comments
Two strongmen battle it out to see who can throw a washing machine the furthest.

The amazing natural world
Posted 1-13-2017 | 0 comments
A series of quality clips from some of the BBC's most successful wildlife programmes.

Phantom vehicle
1-6-2017 | Ramer, United States

True ghost stories
1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.

A 15-year-old predicted my future!
12-21-2016 | Katherine, Australia

The haunted pond
12-21-2016 | Essex, Ontario, Canada

The haunted hospital
12-28-2016 | New Plymouth, New Zealand

Loud crash in the night
12-17-2016 | Pennsylvania

Mysterious woman in a blue dress
12-17-2016 | Northern Ireland