Sunday, September 25, 2016

Rover photographs mystery light on Mars

Posted on Tuesday, 8 April, 2014 | Comment icon 148 comments

Curiosity's snap of the mysterious light. Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
NASA's Curiosity rover has managed to capture an image of an anomalous light on the Martian surface.
The strange speck of light appears to be on the ground just below the edge of the foreground terrain and has generated a great deal of interest since the image was published online.

While some believe that the light signifies evidence of intelligent life, others are more skeptical. NBC News reported that the light does not appear on images taken by Curiosity's left-hand camera which suggests it could actually be a fragment of lost data on the image.

An imaging expert at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory believes that this could have been the result of a cosmic ray hit.

Source: News.com.au | Comments (148)

Tags: Curiosity, Mars

Comment icon #139 Posted by Gaden on 16 April, 2014, 20:26
A Second Source of Light detected by the Rover. Curiosity Sol 568. http://www.abovetops...read1007926/pg1 I followed the link and I followed the conversation, I have to say, with out a doubt, it contains some of the stupidest posters ever.
Comment icon #140 Posted by badeskov on 17 April, 2014, 0:22
I followed the link and I followed the conversation, I have to say, with out a doubt, it contains some of the stupidest posters ever. I must admit I did too and I read a good portion of the thread. Good grief, it was a tragicomic experience. Cheers, Badeskov
Comment icon #141 Posted by Hida Akechi on 17 April, 2014, 0:24
I followed the link and I followed the conversation, I have to say, with out a doubt, it contains some of the stupidest posters ever. That, sir, made me guffaw quite long and loudly. My sides hurt. Thanks.
Comment icon #142 Posted by DieChecker on 17 April, 2014, 1:25
I followed the link and I followed the conversation, I have to say, with out a doubt, it contains some of the stupidest posters ever. AboveTopSecret used to be a fairly interesting place to read and post, but it is tragic now.
Comment icon #143 Posted by qxcontinuum on 19 April, 2014, 5:38
So much deviation from the main subject...
Comment icon #144 Posted by badeskov on 20 April, 2014, 23:36
AboveTopSecret used to be a fairly interesting place to read and post, but it is tragic now. Never posted, but read a bit. Frankly, now it is a mess, to put it mildly. Cheers, Badeskov
Comment icon #145 Posted by qxcontinuum on 23 April, 2014, 5:54
Comment icon #146 Posted by seeder on 24 April, 2014, 10:49
and another one left uper corner . Strange enough like in all other photos the bright light appears to the lefy uper part of the picture. theres probably a clue in that then
Comment icon #147 Posted by Calibeliever on 24 April, 2014, 14:55
I would have thought a group this intelligent would have moved on directly after learning that the anomoly only appeared in one of two cameras taking the exact same photo.
Comment icon #148 Posted by AZDZ on 24 April, 2014, 17:49
That isn't a new one, qxconn. It the same img linked to back on page one, post 8. http://news.yahoo.co...-143042715.html Is it different from the one linked to by the OP, 'cause that page doesn't work for me.

Pluto may have an ocean over 100km deep
9-24-2016
Scientists believe that the dwarf planet's interior may be filled with large quantities of liquid water.
Scientists solve mystery of the singing fish
9-24-2016
Back in the 1980's, California houseboat residents had reported hearing a strange humming noise at night.
Stephen Hawking warns against contacting ET
9-24-2016
The world-famous physicist believes that contacting intelligent extraterrestrials is probably a bad idea.
This year's Ig Nobel Prize winners announced
9-23-2016
It's time once again to recognize some of the most unique and peculiar research projects ever undertaken.
Meet the human torch
Posted 9-24-2016 | 0 comments
Josef Toedtling from Austria has made a successful career out of setting himself on fire.

Real plutonium
Posted 9-23-2016 | 0 comments
A rare look at some of the different plutonium compounds stored at the National Nuclear Laboratory.

Cute but deadly
Posted 9-22-2016 | 4 comments
A look at some animals which might look cute but can still harm you if you aren't careful.

Cooking steak with lava
Posted 9-21-2016 | 1 comment
What happens when you try to cook a steak using a stream of molten hot magma ?

Lawnmower vs rocks
Posted 9-20-2016 | 0 comments
Adam Savage attempts to run a lawnmower over some rocks - with terrifying results.

Red-faced monster
9-14-2016 | Lox Florida

Locked door
9-14-2016 | Ho Chi Minh city/Vietnam

The visit
9-9-2016 | West Palm Beach, Fl

Translucent silent UFO
9-9-2016 | Brisbane/Australia

Sleep paralysis and strange activity
9-1-2016 | Tarpon Springs, FL

Blackout? Possession?
9-1-2016 | Canada

Golden ring eyes
8-29-2016 | USA

Shared grief experience
8-29-2016 | Scotland, UK

Sleep paralysis and leaving body
8-29-2016 | California