Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Pope Francis says he would baptise aliens

Posted on Tuesday, 13 May, 2014 | Comment icon 131 comments

Pope Francis during a visit to Brazil. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Tania Rego
The Pope has stated that the doors of the church are open to everyone - including extraterrestrials.
Pope Frances made the comments, in which he covered the themes of acceptance and inclusion, following a scripture reading yesterday.

Using the story of how Peter was criticized for contacting a group of Pagans during biblical times as an analogy, the Pope was keen to emphasize that in the event that we did come in to contact with beings from another world that they would be just as welcome in the church as anyone else.

"If, for example, tomorrow an expedition of Martians came to us here and one said ‘I want to be baptised!’, what would happen?" he said. "When the Lord shows us the way, who are we to say, ‘No, Lord, it is not prudent! No, let's do it this way’. Who are we to close doors?"

A similar concept was brought up back in 2010 by one of Pope Benedict XVI's astronomers who stated that he would baptise an alien if he was asked to do so.

"Any entity - no matter how many tentacles it has - has a soul," he said.

Source: Independent | Comments (131)

Tags: Pope Frances, Extraterrestrials

Comment icon #122 Posted by Frank Merton on 23 May, 2014, 9:07
I'm not sure being in the Goldilocks zone is of any special significance. There are so many other possible variations, such as chemistry and atmosphere and the fact that living things might be adapted for where they live regardless (withing limits). We don't really know what role if any our moon plays, but such double planets like the earth moon system are probably rare. Then there is how much water is present and if its enough for plate tectonics or whether or not plate tectonics is even necessary.
Comment icon #123 Posted by Rolci on 23 May, 2014, 23:37
I would be very interested in what they have to say on the matter too, if they have an account of a Creator in their culture at all that is. You can, if you only look and DISCRIMINATE carefully. Have you looked?
Comment icon #124 Posted by libstaK on 24 May, 2014, 11:19
You can, if you only look and DISCRIMINATE carefully. Have you looked? Where am I supposed to look? Are alien races posting their opinion of religion and a creator God on the internet somewhere I should know about
Comment icon #125 Posted by Giggling Panzer on 6 July, 2014, 16:32
This man is the Pope of my dreams!
Comment icon #126 Posted by Mr Walker on 9 July, 2014, 9:22
Where am I supposed to look? Are alien races posting their opinion of religion and a creator God on the internet somewhere I should know about Well I think there are few women postingon the forum. (whoops including you ) "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein
Comment icon #127 Posted by libstaK on 9 July, 2014, 11:35
Well I think there are few women postingon the forum. (whoops including you ) "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein Say it isn't so - are you insinuating that women and cats are "aliens" Mr Walker
Comment icon #128 Posted by Frank Merton on 9 July, 2014, 11:49
Comment icon #129 Posted by Mr Walker on 9 July, 2014, 12:21
Say it isn't so - are you insinuating that women and cats are "aliens" Mr Walker Men are from mars; women are from venus. After 63 years, yes I would say that to a man, a woman is alien in body, but especially in mind If I had to choose which of the four are most likely to be aliens I would go with cats. Dogs think they are human. Cats think they are gods.
Comment icon #130 Posted by libstaK on 9 July, 2014, 12:44
Men are from mars; women are from venus. After 63 years, yes I would say that to a man, a woman is alien in body, but especially in mind Bah humbug - did you not drink your mother's milk when you were born? Women know what a man is really made of - men cringe at that level of insight. Dogs think they are human. Cats think they are gods. Meh, cats rule.
Comment icon #131 Posted by Mr Walker on 11 July, 2014, 9:12
Bah humbug - did you not drink your mother's milk when you were born? Women know what a man is really made of - men cringe at that level of insight. Meh, cats rule. I drank cows milk too. Humans can (and do) drink a lot of alien stuff. My wife can't read my mind. I wear an alfoil cap to make sure of this.

New 'Kitty Hawk' flying car footage revealed
4-24-2017
The company behind the futuristic aerial vehicle was financially backed by Google founder Larry Page.
Mystery human species had an advanced brain
4-24-2017
Homo naledi's brain may not have been as big as that of a modern human, but it was still sophisticated.
Voynich manuscript 'written in two languages'
4-24-2017
Russian scholars have been making headway in deciphering the pages of the mysterious medieval text.
Japan's 'burning pavement' mystery solved
4-23-2017
Authorities in Japan have determined how a stretch of city pavement has been burning people's feet.
Boiling water meets freezing air
Posted 4-24-2017 | 1 comment
A look at what happens when you throw boiling water out in to the freezing Russian winter air.

Cave-dwelling spiders
Posted 4-23-2017 | 3 comments
A new species of spider has been found living in caves and mine shafts in Mexico.

The human bridge of musicality
Posted 4-22-2017 | 1 comment
A look at how the human brain perceives the concept of music and how it is processed.

Swarm of locusts
Posted 4-21-2017 | 0 comments
A look at the extreme destructive power of an enormous swarm of desert locusts.

Lawrence Krauss on optimism
Posted 4-20-2017 | 0 comments
Physicist Lawrence Krauss discusses the fact that the universe doesn't care about us at all.

Grandpa's visit
4-14-2017 | Portugal

Mysterious dog
4-14-2017 | Utah

A night to remember
4-14-2017 | Philippines

Am I going crazy ?
3-30-2017 | South Africa

Sleep paralysis or my father ?
3-30-2017 | Los Angeles