Friday, July 28, 2017

Pope Francis says he would baptise aliens

Posted on Tuesday, 13 May, 2014 | Comment icon 131 comments

Pope Francis during a visit to Brazil. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Tania Rego
The Pope has stated that the doors of the church are open to everyone - including extraterrestrials.
Pope Frances made the comments, in which he covered the themes of acceptance and inclusion, following a scripture reading yesterday.

Using the story of how Peter was criticized for contacting a group of Pagans during biblical times as an analogy, the Pope was keen to emphasize that in the event that we did come in to contact with beings from another world that they would be just as welcome in the church as anyone else.

"If, for example, tomorrow an expedition of Martians came to us here and one said ‘I want to be baptised!’, what would happen?" he said. "When the Lord shows us the way, who are we to say, ‘No, Lord, it is not prudent! No, let's do it this way’. Who are we to close doors?"

A similar concept was brought up back in 2010 by one of Pope Benedict XVI's astronomers who stated that he would baptise an alien if he was asked to do so.

"Any entity - no matter how many tentacles it has - has a soul," he said.

Source: Independent | Comments (131)

Tags: Pope Frances, Extraterrestrials

Comment icon #122 Posted by Frank Merton on 23 May, 2014, 9:07
I'm not sure being in the Goldilocks zone is of any special significance. There are so many other possible variations, such as chemistry and atmosphere and the fact that living things might be adapted for where they live regardless (withing limits). We don't really know what role if any our moon plays, but such double planets like the earth moon system are probably rare. Then there is how much water is present and if its enough for plate tectonics or whether or not plate tectonics is even necessary.
Comment icon #123 Posted by Rolci on 23 May, 2014, 23:37
I would be very interested in what they have to say on the matter too, if they have an account of a Creator in their culture at all that is. You can, if you only look and DISCRIMINATE carefully. Have you looked?
Comment icon #124 Posted by libstaK on 24 May, 2014, 11:19
You can, if you only look and DISCRIMINATE carefully. Have you looked? Where am I supposed to look? Are alien races posting their opinion of religion and a creator God on the internet somewhere I should know about
Comment icon #125 Posted by Giggling Panzer on 6 July, 2014, 16:32
This man is the Pope of my dreams!
Comment icon #126 Posted by Mr Walker on 9 July, 2014, 9:22
Where am I supposed to look? Are alien races posting their opinion of religion and a creator God on the internet somewhere I should know about Well I think there are few women postingon the forum. (whoops including you ) "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein
Comment icon #127 Posted by libstaK on 9 July, 2014, 11:35
Well I think there are few women postingon the forum. (whoops including you ) "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein Say it isn't so - are you insinuating that women and cats are "aliens" Mr Walker
Comment icon #128 Posted by Frank Merton on 9 July, 2014, 11:49
Comment icon #129 Posted by Mr Walker on 9 July, 2014, 12:21
Say it isn't so - are you insinuating that women and cats are "aliens" Mr Walker Men are from mars; women are from venus. After 63 years, yes I would say that to a man, a woman is alien in body, but especially in mind If I had to choose which of the four are most likely to be aliens I would go with cats. Dogs think they are human. Cats think they are gods.
Comment icon #130 Posted by libstaK on 9 July, 2014, 12:44
Men are from mars; women are from venus. After 63 years, yes I would say that to a man, a woman is alien in body, but especially in mind Bah humbug - did you not drink your mother's milk when you were born? Women know what a man is really made of - men cringe at that level of insight. Dogs think they are human. Cats think they are gods. Meh, cats rule.
Comment icon #131 Posted by Mr Walker on 11 July, 2014, 9:12
Bah humbug - did you not drink your mother's milk when you were born? Women know what a man is really made of - men cringe at that level of insight. Meh, cats rule. I drank cows milk too. Humans can (and do) drink a lot of alien stuff. My wife can't read my mind. I wear an alfoil cap to make sure of this.

5952037

First extrasolar moon potentially discovered
7-28-2017
Astronomers believe that they may have found, for the first time, a moon orbiting an extrasolar planet.
Conjoined bat twins discovered in rainforest
7-28-2017
The extremely rare find is one of only a few examples of conjoined twins ever seen outside of humans.
California residents report 'Chupacabra'
7-27-2017
Alleged sightings of the cryptozoological creature have sparked concerns over the safety of local pets.
Our atoms came from far across the universe
7-27-2017
A new study has revealed that half of the atoms that make up our bodies have come from beyond the galaxy.
Hyperloop test
Posted 7-28-2017 | 1 comment
A look at the first successful test ride of the Hyperloop - a futuristic transportation system.

Octopus goes for a walk
Posted 7-27-2017 | 4 comments
As this video shows, not all octopus' limit their exploration to the bottom of the sea.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI