Friday, December 9, 2016

Pope Francis says he would baptise aliens

Posted on Tuesday, 13 May, 2014 | Comment icon 131 comments

Pope Francis during a visit to Brazil. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Tania Rego
The Pope has stated that the doors of the church are open to everyone - including extraterrestrials.
Pope Frances made the comments, in which he covered the themes of acceptance and inclusion, following a scripture reading yesterday.

Using the story of how Peter was criticized for contacting a group of Pagans during biblical times as an analogy, the Pope was keen to emphasize that in the event that we did come in to contact with beings from another world that they would be just as welcome in the church as anyone else.

"If, for example, tomorrow an expedition of Martians came to us here and one said ‘I want to be baptised!’, what would happen?" he said. "When the Lord shows us the way, who are we to say, ‘No, Lord, it is not prudent! No, let's do it this way’. Who are we to close doors?"

A similar concept was brought up back in 2010 by one of Pope Benedict XVI's astronomers who stated that he would baptise an alien if he was asked to do so.

"Any entity - no matter how many tentacles it has - has a soul," he said.

Source: Independent | Comments (131)

Tags: Pope Frances, Extraterrestrials

Comment icon #122 Posted by Frank Merton on 23 May, 2014, 9:07
I'm not sure being in the Goldilocks zone is of any special significance. There are so many other possible variations, such as chemistry and atmosphere and the fact that living things might be adapted for where they live regardless (withing limits). We don't really know what role if any our moon plays, but such double planets like the earth moon system are probably rare. Then there is how much water is present and if its enough for plate tectonics or whether or not plate tectonics is even necessary.
Comment icon #123 Posted by Rolci on 23 May, 2014, 23:37
I would be very interested in what they have to say on the matter too, if they have an account of a Creator in their culture at all that is. You can, if you only look and DISCRIMINATE carefully. Have you looked?
Comment icon #124 Posted by libstaK on 24 May, 2014, 11:19
You can, if you only look and DISCRIMINATE carefully. Have you looked? Where am I supposed to look? Are alien races posting their opinion of religion and a creator God on the internet somewhere I should know about
Comment icon #125 Posted by Giggling Panzer on 6 July, 2014, 16:32
This man is the Pope of my dreams!
Comment icon #126 Posted by Mr Walker on 9 July, 2014, 9:22
Where am I supposed to look? Are alien races posting their opinion of religion and a creator God on the internet somewhere I should know about Well I think there are few women postingon the forum. (whoops including you ) "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein
Comment icon #127 Posted by libstaK on 9 July, 2014, 11:35
Well I think there are few women postingon the forum. (whoops including you ) "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein Say it isn't so - are you insinuating that women and cats are "aliens" Mr Walker
Comment icon #128 Posted by Frank Merton on 9 July, 2014, 11:49
Comment icon #129 Posted by Mr Walker on 9 July, 2014, 12:21
Say it isn't so - are you insinuating that women and cats are "aliens" Mr Walker Men are from mars; women are from venus. After 63 years, yes I would say that to a man, a woman is alien in body, but especially in mind If I had to choose which of the four are most likely to be aliens I would go with cats. Dogs think they are human. Cats think they are gods.
Comment icon #130 Posted by libstaK on 9 July, 2014, 12:44
Men are from mars; women are from venus. After 63 years, yes I would say that to a man, a woman is alien in body, but especially in mind Bah humbug - did you not drink your mother's milk when you were born? Women know what a man is really made of - men cringe at that level of insight. Dogs think they are human. Cats think they are gods. Meh, cats rule.
Comment icon #131 Posted by Mr Walker on 11 July, 2014, 9:12
Bah humbug - did you not drink your mother's milk when you were born? Women know what a man is really made of - men cringe at that level of insight. Meh, cats rule. I drank cows milk too. Humans can (and do) drink a lot of alien stuff. My wife can't read my mind. I wear an alfoil cap to make sure of this.

New Rendlesham UFO witness comes forward
12-9-2016
A former security police officer has described the object he witnessed that night as 'not of this world'.
Legendary astronaut John Glenn dies aged 95
12-9-2016
Glenn became a national hero back in 1962 when he became the first American ever to orbit the Earth.
Actual dinosaur tail found preserved in amber
12-8-2016
The unprecedented 99 million-year-old specimen contains preserved bones, soft tissues and feathers.
Mars One delays first manned mission to Mars
12-8-2016
The Netherlands-based firm has pushed back its ambitious plans by several years due to funding issues.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
Why do some coins have ridges ?
Posted 12-9-2016 | 2 comments
What is the purpose of the ridges found around the edges of some coins ?

Exploding 6ft water balloon in slow motion
Posted 12-8-2016 | 1 comment
The Slo Mo Guys film what happens when you sit inside a giant exploding water balloon.

What happens when you swallow gum ?
Posted 12-7-2016 | 3 comments
Ever swallowed a piece of chewing gum by accident ? Here's what happens.

Indestructible coating ?
Posted 12-6-2016 | 5 comments
A look at polyurea, an elastomer that can make objects extremely difficult to damage.

World's longest shout
Posted 12-5-2016 | 1 comment
Christian Kinner from Germany managed to shout for over 43 seconds non-stop.

Not my daughter