Friday, July 28, 2017

New system turns manure in to drinking water

Posted on Friday, 6 June, 2014 | Comment icon 22 comments

Would you drink water made from cow dung ? Image Credit: Keith Weller/USDA
A team of US scientists has found a way to turn cow dung in to something more digestable.
With water shortages becoming a growing issue in many parts of the world, researchers have been hunting for new and efficient ways to produce clean drinking water for the masses.

Now Professor Steve Safferman and his team from Michigan State University have stepped up to the challenge by developing a new way to produce drinkable water via an effective, albeit unappetizing method involving the filtering of cow manure.

The 'anaerobic digester' extracts harmful compounds such as ammonia from cow dung and passes out water that is clean enough to drink.

"If you have 1,000 cows on your operation, they produce about 10 million gallons of manure a year," he said. "About 90% of the manure is water but it contains large amounts of nutrients, carbon and pathogens that can have an environmental impact if not properly managed."

While the 'cow juice' is unlikely to replace tap water any time soon, the resulting product should prove an ideal water source for livestock. The team believes that their system could produce 870 million gallons of clean water every day in the United States alone.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (22)

Tags: Manure, Drink, Water

Comment icon #13 Posted by ancient astronaut on 6 June, 2014, 15:53
Comment icon #14 Posted by Eldorado on 6 June, 2014, 15:58
Add that to the Japanese that take human feces and get rid of all the nitrates and make a bacon flavored snack with it, for human consumption. Eat you about a dozen of the Japanese Poo treats, and wash it down with about a gallon of the Cow sh** H2O and you've got yourself a party. I really wish you had not told us of this. *gags*
Comment icon #15 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 6 June, 2014, 16:15
Comment icon #16 Posted by ancient astronaut on 6 June, 2014, 16:32
I really wish you had not told us of this. *gags* I know, as gross as it sounds it is true. I had the same reaction when I first read about it.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Hobbit Feet on 6 June, 2014, 16:38
how close are we to soylent green?
Comment icon #18 Posted by taniwha on 9 June, 2014, 13:23
I dont see why all the fuss. Cows are raised drinking milk and we have no problem drinking that, same thing really.
Comment icon #19 Posted by spud the mackem on 9 June, 2014, 15:17
Thankyou old chap.....a pint of English Old Ale if I may..... Don't forget to spit the bits of straw out ...heh
Comment icon #20 Posted by rashore on 9 June, 2014, 16:11
I don't find this too odd. After all, we have had water treatment plants for many years, and they separate human waste amongst other things from water to make it "clean" again. Now it's just the waste itself being refined.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Rose-Red Howler on 9 June, 2014, 16:44
I feel sick now.
Comment icon #22 Posted by spud the mackem on 9 June, 2014, 21:59
I feel sick now. Aww, don't think about it because you are also breathing someones used air.

California residents report 'Chupacabra'
7-27-2017
Alleged sightings of the cryptozoological creature have sparked concerns over the safety of local pets.
Our atoms came from far across the universe
7-27-2017
A new study has revealed that half of the atoms that make up our bodies have come from beyond the galaxy.
Private firm set to land on the Moon in 2019
7-27-2017
Astrobotic is aiming to land its unmanned Peregrine lunar lander on the surface of the Moon in two years' time.
3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
Octopus goes for a walk
Posted 7-27-2017 | 4 comments
As this video shows, not all octopus' limit their exploration to the bottom of the sea.

Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI