Friday, July 21, 2017

MIT designs 'Dr Octopus' robotic limbs

Posted on Saturday, 7 June, 2014 | Comment icon 6 comments

A demonstration of the robotic arms. Image Credit: YouTube / IEEE Spectrum
Researchers have developed advanced robotic arms similar to those used by Spiderman's nemesis.
Offering the potential to revolutionize the construction and manufacturing industries, the MIT's Supernumerary Robotic Limbs (SRLs) were outlined at the International Conference on Robotics and Automation in Hong Kong this week.

While previous projects have aimed to augment or replace human limbs, the SRLs are instead designed to provide the wearer with an actual second pair of arms or legs that can be used to provide stability, lift heavy objects or to perform a wide range of other tasks that a person couldn't ordinarily accomplish by themselves.

The current prototype consists of a lightweight wearable backpack-like device to which the limbs are attached and can be used as either legs or arms depending on the situation.

The robotic limbs can only be controlled by the muscle movements of the wearer at the moment but there are plans to implement a direct brain control mechanism in the not-too-distant future.

Source: Daily Tech | Comments (6)

Tags: Robot, Arms, Dr Octopus

Comment icon #1 Posted by Jyre Cayce on 8 June, 2014, 4:30
Comment icon #2 Posted by Silent Trinity on 8 June, 2014, 6:56
Huh. So, well, um, cool? (I'm confused. I cant figure out if this is cool or dumb.) Yeah I was kind of watching this with raised eyebrows...It is definitely a nice piece of design and technology work, well done for that.....But then I kind of just thought....why? lol. I am sure it has an application beyond erm...pretending to be a Spider-man villain but I was just a bit baffled as to what it would be lol
Comment icon #3 Posted by highdesert50 on 8 June, 2014, 15:13
More profound engineering may come in the next installment where if things go awry, it squirts ink.
Comment icon #4 Posted by DieChecker on 9 June, 2014, 3:28
I like the idea, but am not sure if the technology is there yet. Might be very useful for those people with missing arms?
Comment icon #5 Posted by Whatsinausername on 9 June, 2014, 7:58
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
Comment icon #6 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 10 June, 2014, 13:22
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

SpaceX ditches plans for 2018 Mars landing
7-21-2017
Plans to land a modified version of the company's reusable Dragon capsule on Mars have been scrapped.
Today marks 48 years since first Moon landing
7-20-2017
Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong made history when they set foot on the lunar surface 48 years ago today.
Australia find 'rewrites the history books'
7-20-2017
Archaeologists now believe that Australia was colonized 18,000 years earlier than previously thought.
Top US general warns against killer robots
7-19-2017
General Paul Selva has spoken out about the dangers of creating fully autonomous weapon systems.
Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

How do fireworks get their colors ?
Posted 7-19-2017 | 0 comments
Fireworks are well known for their colorful explosions, but where do the colors come from ?

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI