Sunday, December 4, 2016

World's oldest man has died aged 111

Posted on Wednesday, 11 June, 2014 | Comment icon 28 comments

Imich receiving his certificate back in April. Image Credit: YouTube / ITN
Chemist and psychic researcher Alexander Imich passed away at a seniors' residence in Manhattan.
The Polish-born supercentenarian had taken over the title of world's oldest man when Italian Arturo Licata, who was also 111, died on April 24th.

Imich attributed his longevity to many things including exercise, a minimal diet and the fact that he didn't drink, but what he assigned the most significance to was the fact that he and his wife, who died in 1986, had never had any children.

"Not like its the Nobel Prize," he said of his extreme age. "I never thought Id be that old." Having been born just 10 months before the Wright Brothers' first historic powered flight, Imich had stated that the greatest invention he had witnessed in his life was the aeroplane.

The title of world's oldest man has now passed to Sakari Momoi of Japan who was born just one day after Imich on February 5th, 1903.

Source: The Globe and Mail | Comments (28)

Tags: Alexander Imich, Oldest Man

Comment icon #19 Posted by TheGreatBeliever on 12 June, 2014, 16:07
They say if scientists rids all diseases we might gain immortality. No more cryonics by then
Comment icon #20 Posted by Calibeliever on 12 June, 2014, 16:42
he never had any children. That may have been part of his secret! Lord knows mine have aged me prematurely! Then again my Grandmother turned 100 last November and is still going strong. Besides having to nap frequently and losing sight in one of her eyes a few years ago she is still pretty spry and enjoys life. I guess if I can still get along at that age and have friends I suppose I'd keep on going if I was able. As my dad said to me a few years ago: "The older I get, the longer I want to live" lol
Comment icon #21 Posted by JGirl on 12 June, 2014, 17:10
it's cool to hear of someone reaching that age, but then i think omg i hope i never do! i have no death wish but i have to admit i'm good to go whenever. i've lived a lot in my 54 years and i'm in no hurry to watch everyone i know drop dead before me
Comment icon #22 Posted by TheSpoonyOne on 12 June, 2014, 21:34
I'm actually surprised the oldest man in the world was only 111, I thought he'd be around 120 for some reason, since that age group tends to be the age you get when you google world's oldest living people. To be honest, living to that age is a curse! He will have lost all his friends and probably outlived his own children! He never had any children, he says that's one of the reasons he'd lived so long. I couldn't even imagine living to be 111! I think it would be amazing though, yeah you would see most of your loved ones die, but man, all the things you would see! I would have loved to just si... [More]
Comment icon #23 Posted by Silent Trinity on 13 June, 2014, 9:08
Well he has clearly lived a full life, think he has missed out though not having kids, as a parent it is always rewarding to watch your kids grow and have them in your life....but as for that being attributed to one of the factors of living so long, I don't buy it personally, if anything your kids inspire you to live longer to spend more time with them, and be part of their lives for as long as possible really, they give you a 'reason to live' if you like. Other than that, nothing but respect for the old guy, may his god go with with him and may he rest in peace.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Mr. ET on 13 June, 2014, 23:49
I love listening to really old folks stories. Bet this guy could have written a book. At least he had a full life.
Comment icon #25 Posted by Black Razz on 14 June, 2014, 2:34
I wish I could live to 100.
Comment icon #26 Posted by Frank Merton on 14 June, 2014, 2:35
My goal is 120. Of course when I get there I will have to reset it.
Comment icon #27 Posted by Mojohand on 16 June, 2014, 13:43
Was he dead when they took the photo?
Comment icon #28 Posted by Duchess Gummybuns on 21 June, 2014, 18:52
Well, he came, he saw, he lived...Ah, uh... He did some things in his life, I know it.

Buzz Aldrin is evacuated from Antarctica
12-4-2016
The Apollo 11 astronaut fell ill just after becoming the oldest person ever to visit the South Pole.
Giant air-breathing fish found in the Amazon
12-3-2016
A new species of the mysterious arapaima has been discovered in the remote backwaters of the Amazon.
Two new video clips show alleged thylacines
12-3-2016
The Thylacine Awareness Group of Australia has released two new clips recorded using a trail camera.
Full-scale 'Titanic' being built in China
12-3-2016
The life-size replica of the ill-fated vessel will even feature a simulation of the iceberg collision.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
Top 10 facts about James Webb Telescope
Posted 12-4-2016 | 0 comments
A look at the upcoming orbital observatory and what it will see in the depths of space.

Jumping widowbirds
Posted 12-3-2016 | 2 comments
These male widowbirds are competing to see which of them can jump the highest.

Why do we like shiny things ?
Posted 12-2-2016 | 7 comments
Why do we seem to be intrinsically drawn from an early age to shiny objects ?

Why are dogs so different ?
Posted 12-1-2016 | 5 comments
Despite being the same species, various breeds of dogs can be very different indeed.

Pulling a fire engine
Posted 11-30-2016 | 0 comments
Strongman Kevin Fast and his two sons manage to pull a fire engine over 100ft.

Not my daughter