Sunday, May 28, 2017

World's oldest man has died aged 111

Posted on Wednesday, 11 June, 2014 | Comment icon 28 comments

Imich receiving his certificate back in April. Image Credit: YouTube / ITN
Chemist and psychic researcher Alexander Imich passed away at a seniors' residence in Manhattan.
The Polish-born supercentenarian had taken over the title of world's oldest man when Italian Arturo Licata, who was also 111, died on April 24th.

Imich attributed his longevity to many things including exercise, a minimal diet and the fact that he didn't drink, but what he assigned the most significance to was the fact that he and his wife, who died in 1986, had never had any children.

"Not like its the Nobel Prize," he said of his extreme age. "I never thought Id be that old." Having been born just 10 months before the Wright Brothers' first historic powered flight, Imich had stated that the greatest invention he had witnessed in his life was the aeroplane.

The title of world's oldest man has now passed to Sakari Momoi of Japan who was born just one day after Imich on February 5th, 1903.

Source: The Globe and Mail | Comments (28)

Tags: Alexander Imich, Oldest Man

Comment icon #19 Posted by TheGreatBeliever on 12 June, 2014, 16:07
They say if scientists rids all diseases we might gain immortality. No more cryonics by then
Comment icon #20 Posted by Calibeliever on 12 June, 2014, 16:42
he never had any children. That may have been part of his secret! Lord knows mine have aged me prematurely! Then again my Grandmother turned 100 last November and is still going strong. Besides having to nap frequently and losing sight in one of her eyes a few years ago she is still pretty spry and enjoys life. I guess if I can still get along at that age and have friends I suppose I'd keep on going if I was able. As my dad said to me a few years ago: "The older I get, the longer I want to live" lol
Comment icon #21 Posted by JGirl on 12 June, 2014, 17:10
it's cool to hear of someone reaching that age, but then i think omg i hope i never do! i have no death wish but i have to admit i'm good to go whenever. i've lived a lot in my 54 years and i'm in no hurry to watch everyone i know drop dead before me
Comment icon #22 Posted by TheSpoonyOne on 12 June, 2014, 21:34
I'm actually surprised the oldest man in the world was only 111, I thought he'd be around 120 for some reason, since that age group tends to be the age you get when you google world's oldest living people. To be honest, living to that age is a curse! He will have lost all his friends and probably outlived his own children! He never had any children, he says that's one of the reasons he'd lived so long. I couldn't even imagine living to be 111! I think it would be amazing though, yeah you would see most of your loved ones die, but man, all the things you would see! I would have loved to just si... [More]
Comment icon #23 Posted by Silent Trinity on 13 June, 2014, 9:08
Well he has clearly lived a full life, think he has missed out though not having kids, as a parent it is always rewarding to watch your kids grow and have them in your life....but as for that being attributed to one of the factors of living so long, I don't buy it personally, if anything your kids inspire you to live longer to spend more time with them, and be part of their lives for as long as possible really, they give you a 'reason to live' if you like. Other than that, nothing but respect for the old guy, may his god go with with him and may he rest in peace.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Mr. ET on 13 June, 2014, 23:49
I love listening to really old folks stories. Bet this guy could have written a book. At least he had a full life.
Comment icon #25 Posted by Black Razz on 14 June, 2014, 2:34
I wish I could live to 100.
Comment icon #26 Posted by Frank Merton on 14 June, 2014, 2:35
My goal is 120. Of course when I get there I will have to reset it.
Comment icon #27 Posted by Mojohand on 16 June, 2014, 13:43
Was he dead when they took the photo?
Comment icon #28 Posted by Duchess Gummybuns on 21 June, 2014, 18:52
Well, he came, he saw, he lived...Ah, uh... He did some things in his life, I know it.

'Magic tree door' illusion baffles the Internet
5-27-2017
Stop-motion animator Kevin Parry has created a short video clip that seems to defy the laws of physics.
Work begins on world's largest telescope
5-27-2017
When it is completed, the Extremely Large Telescope (ELT) will offer unprecedented views of the cosmos.
Winchester Mystery House opens new rooms
5-27-2017
The mysterious mansion in California has opened several new rooms to the public for the first time ever.
Some snakes are now known to hunt in packs
5-26-2017
Scientists have revealed that some species of snake have learned how to co-operate and hunt in groups.
What color were dinosaurs ?
Posted 5-27-2017 | 6 comments
We can learn much about dinosaurs from fossils, but their color has long remained a mystery.

Ring around the Earth
Posted 5-26-2017 | 0 comments
What would happen if a solid, free-floating ring was placed in orbit around the Earth ?

World's heaviest weight
Posted 5-25-2017 | 0 comments
This incredible machine is capable of delivering a whopping 1,000,000 pounds of force.

Nine doughnuts in three minutes
Posted 5-24-2017 | 5 comments
'L.A. Beast' returns to break another record, this time by eating a huge pile of doughnuts.

Falcon vs car
Posted 5-23-2017 | 5 comments
Can the fastest bird of prey in level flight manage to fly faster than a speeding car ?

Trade school terror
5-26-2017 | Cedro woolley, Wa.

Someone is on my bed