Thursday, March 22, 2018

Does your tongue have a 'sixth sense' ?

Posted on Thursday, 12 June, 2014 | Comment icon 14 comments

The human tongue is far more capable than previously believed. Image Credit:
Scientists have identified a new sense within the human tongue that is able to perceive carbohydrates.
Conventionally our tongues are capable of picking up sweet, sour, salty, savory and bitter tastes from the food that we eat, but now researchers have determined that there is likely to be a sixth sense - one that detects carbohydrates.

"The mouth is a more capable sensory organ than we currently appreciate, able to distinguish carbohydrates from artificial sweeteners when both taste identical," said Nicholas Gant.

This additional sense also appears to trigger the pleasure centre of the brain, potentially explaining why the consumption of diet food is not as satisfying as the real thing.

Gant believes that the tongue may also possess other senses that we don't currently know about.

"This 'sixth taste sense' for carbohydrate is likely one of many additional food qualities that are detectable by receptors in the mouth," he said.

Source: IBN Live | Comments (14)

Tags: Tongue

Comment icon #5 Posted by Junior Chubb on 12 June, 2014, 11:42
My tongue can sense when an earthquake is coming. You are a highly skilled man.
Comment icon #6 Posted by 6.6.6 on 12 June, 2014, 11:43
My tongue can sense when an earthquake is coming. My toung can sense when its time to brush my teeth
Comment icon #7 Posted by HawkLord on 12 June, 2014, 11:47
S the tongue has a sixth sense hmm... 'I taste dead people'
Comment icon #8 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 12 June, 2014, 12:36
S the tongue has a sixth sense hmm... 'I taste dead people' I bet it tastes like chicken too.
Comment icon #9 Posted by maximusnow on 12 June, 2014, 13:11
I always pick the carbs out of my food.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Calibeliever on 12 June, 2014, 14:19
Patient: My tongue tingles when I touch it to a walnut wrapped in tin foil, what's wrong with me? Doctor: You have too much free time!
Comment icon #11 Posted by freetoroam on 12 June, 2014, 14:25
Fantastic, due to these researchers I will now be able to tell the taste of a potato ! Have these people nothing better to do with the money given to them!!
Comment icon #12 Posted by Silent Trinity on 13 June, 2014, 9:01
Are we sure this isn't the same set of 'researchers' that concluded that Beer Goggles exist in an 'Extensive study'? Seems the kind of waste of time and money they seem to endorse
Comment icon #13 Posted by gatekeeper32 on 14 June, 2014, 13:45
The making of a horror movies "Atkins diet vs the human tongue with sixth sense to carbohydrates" .
Comment icon #14 Posted by Leonardo on 16 June, 2014, 15:28
"Scientists Find Tongue is Capable Of Tasting Things. Nobel Prize Expected for Ground-Breaking Work."

Did Triceratops use its horns to attract a mate ?
Scientists believe that dinosaurs like Triceratops may have used their horns to impress potential partners.
Mystery 'Cotswold cat shaver' strikes again
Several cat owners in Gloucestershire have reported having their pet felines shaved by an unknown individual.
Self-driving car kills pedestrian in Arizona
The accident marks the first time that a pedestrian has ever been killed by an autonomous vehicle.
Amazon boss takes his robot dog for a walk
Tech entrepreneur Jeff Bezos attended Amazon's annual MARS conference with a very unusual companion.
Monkeys learn to socialize
Posted 3-18-2018 | 0 comments
These young vervet monkeys must learn to socialize before being released in to the wild.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Michio Kaku on asteroid mining
Posted 3-13-2018 | 1 comment
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku discusses the possibility of mining asteroids in space.
Fastest people in slow motion
Posted 3-12-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the world's fastest card thrower and an amazing fast draw world champion.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA