Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Further evidence of Planet Nine discovered

Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2016 | Comment icon 56 comments

Could there really be a Neptune-sized world in the outer solar system ? Image Credit: NASA
The case for a hidden gas giant in the outer solar system continues to go from strength to strength.
Believed to be up to ten times the mass of the Earth and with an orbital period of up to 20,000 years, this enigmatic world has been the subject of intense debate ever since researchers at the California Institute of Technology first revealed that its existence might actually be a very real possibility.

Back in January, planetary scientists Mike Brown and Konstantin Batygin created a mathematical model indicating that a Neptune-sized object in the outer solar system could be influencing the movements of six smaller Kuiper Belt objects which appeared to be behaving rather oddly.

"We saw a strange signal in the data that meant something odd was going on in the outer Solar System," said Brown. "All of these distant objects were lined up in a weird way and that shouldn’t happen. We worked through the mundane explanations, but none of them worked out."

Now following further observations using the Canada France Hawaii Telescope, the researchers have revealed that a seventh object has been found which also conforms to their new model.

The discovery adds further weight to the idea that Planet Nine really is out there and that it will only be a matter of time before astronomers are able to observe it directly.

If they do it will be one of the biggest astronomical discoveries ever made.

Source: Science Alert | Comments (56)

Tags: Planet X, Planet Nine, Solar System

Comment icon #47 Posted by Emma_Acid on 5 April, 2016, 14:12
The orbit of this planet is showing to be between mars and Jupiter. Please provide a source for this This explains also the odd geographic differences between mars two hemispheres as well the loss of its atmosphere. Please provide a source for this Every time the planet comes around there are massive cataclysms on earth, floods , quakes, etc... Please provide a source for this
Comment icon #48 Posted by badeskov on 5 April, 2016, 17:15
Please provide a source for this Please provide a source for this Please provide a source for this You are surely jesting. Under normal circumstances I'd hit the pub for a brew while waiting for an answer, but given past experience I'd probably pass away from old age (which would be days away given the number of pints I'd have to consume to keep my seat at the bar)... Cheers, Badeskov
Comment icon #49 Posted by shadowsot on 5 April, 2016, 17:55
I dunno, enough beers could pickle you, preserve you for a bit.
Comment icon #50 Posted by Emma_Acid on 6 April, 2016, 9:09
You are surely jesting. Under normal circumstances I'd hit the pub for a brew while waiting for an answer, but given past experience I'd probably pass away from old age (which would be days away given the number of pints I'd have to consume to keep my seat at the bar)... Cheers, Badeskov I'll see you by the bar!
Comment icon #51 Posted by Eluus on 8 April, 2016, 23:18
I have previously argued that the name Ix* will be appropriate for the ninth planet. *fact that it is also the nickname of Ford Prefect in "the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" is just a bonus. Ix is also the name of a planet in the "Dune" series Ix is the ninth planet in the star system Alkalurops, and ruled by the Ixian Technocracy.
Comment icon #52 Posted by danielost on 9 April, 2016, 8:29
Comment icon #53 Posted by toast on 9 April, 2016, 9:30
And the pic you posted is formed by how many pictures put together , edited, and photoshopped ? The so called mosaic method is a common method in photography, so in astronomical photography as well. If you call this method a kind of adulteration, then your accusation is based on ignorance. And yes, the image in discussion is a composite of a number of single frames and it has been processed but maybe you didnt read the image deion: The colors are adjusted so that rocks look approximately as they would if they were on Earth, to help geologists interpret the rocks. This "white balancing" to adju... [More]
Comment icon #54 Posted by Noteverythingisaconspiracy on 9 April, 2016, 9:32
Ix is also the name of a planet in the "Dune" series God dammit Eluus. Here I thought that I was being original in my idea to name the planet Ix, only to find that someone else had already done it. if we go by the babalonions, it is the size of earth, populated, and has a cometary type orbit. I look forwards to see any evidence, from reliable sources, for that claim ?
Comment icon #55 Posted by Noteverythingisaconspiracy on 9 April, 2016, 9:36
You are surely jesting. Under normal circumstances I'd hit the pub for a brew while waiting for an answer, but given past experience I'd probably pass away from old age (which would be days away given the number of pints I'd have to consume to keep my seat at the bar)... Cheers, Badeskov I had no idea that you went to pubs.
Comment icon #56 Posted by badeskov on 9 April, 2016, 18:32
I had no idea that you went to pubs. Now, who would have thunk it, eh? Cheers, Badeskov

550 million-year-old creature mystery solved
9-20-2017
Scientists believe that they have finally worked out what type of creature 'Dickinsonia' actually was.
Porpoise unearthed in medieval graveyard
9-20-2017
A recent archaeological dig near Guernsey has yielded something rather unexpected - a porpoise skeleton.
Mystery surrounds flushed money in Geneva
9-19-2017
An unknown individual has been flushing thousands of euros down the toilet and nobody knows why.
'Octopus city' found off coast of Australia
9-19-2017
Members of the gloomy octopus species have created their own underwater settlement dubbed 'Octlantis'.
Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Meet the microscopic life in your home
Posted 9-17-2017 | 0 comments
Think your home is free of meddlesome microscopic life forms ? Think again.

Are rats friends or foes ?
Posted 9-16-2017 | 3 comments
Rats are certainly not humanity's favorite animals, but just how bad are they really ?

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY