Saturday, September 23, 2017

Apollo astronaut: 'ET has never visited us'

Posted on Tuesday, 28 March, 2017 | Comment icon 89 comments

Alan Bean holding a sample container while on the surface of the Moon. Image Credit: NASA
Alan Bean, one of only 12 people to walk on the Moon, doesn't believe we have ever been visited by aliens.
The fourth person to set foot on the lunar surface, Alan Bean flew to the Moon in November 1969 as part of the Apollo 12 mission alongside Charles Conrad and Richard F. Gordon.

Despite venturing off-world however, Bean's views regarding the possibilities of extraterrestrial visitation have remained rather more down-to-Earth than his own space-faring experiences.

"I do not believe that anyone from outer space has ever visited the Earth," he said during a recent interview with Australia's news.com.au.

"One of reasons I don't believe they have been here is that civilisations that are more advanced are more altruistic and friendly.... so they would have landed and said 'we come in peace and we know from our studies you have cancer that kills people, we solved that problem 50 years ago, here's the gadget we put on a person's chest that will cure it, we will show you how to make it'."

Despite this however, Bean remains a firm believer in the possibility of life elsewhere in the universe.

"There's so many billions of stars and these stars have planets around them so there must be statistically many planets around many stars that have formed life," he said.

Source: CNET.com | Comments (89)

Tags: Alan Bean, Extraterrestrial

Comment icon #80 Posted by Aftermath on 18 April, 2017, 0:45
I don't see anything compelling in those two videos.
Comment icon #81 Posted by Frank Merton on 18 April, 2017, 1:22
The debunking I see here is pretty good.  I don't do much of it because there are plenty better at it than I am -- I will however point out inconsistencies and illogicalities when I see them. When I came here (awhile ago) I expected breathless competition on who could come up with the biggest whopper; what I find is what one finds pretty much any similar place -- arguments about politics (mostly paid trolls and people with sense) and religion (civilized, believe it or not) with some woo occasionally thrown in, but not particularly more than other places. Your derogatory comments about credenti... [More]
Comment icon #82 Posted by NYCEddie on 18 April, 2017, 4:28
During my previous stint here there were some good, entertaining and educational debunking debates over such topics as "DARK MISSION: Photo of "spar" on Moon - Real?" My comments about some credentialed scientists was not derogatory for you can see and hear for yourself how silly they can sound. However, I shouldn't single out scientists as I meant to say highly-educated individuals. The name and birth of "Jesus Christ" is bandied about as a reference point in almost every documentary. You'd think the History Channel would contribute to deprogramming the religious audience by not allowing a my... [More]
Comment icon #83 Posted by NYCEddie on 18 April, 2017, 5:31
So you didn't see 11 flashes, and possibly a few more? The first video is a good vision tester as you proved with your comment. Change the YouTube video speed from Normal to 0.25 and be ready to freeze the frame at :13, :27, :42, :47, :52, :56, 1:02, 1:05, 1:09, 1:12, 1:18. The second video is not of an object racing across the sky. Look at the cloud patterns and you'll see that it hangs around the same area.  Check out all of the other similar videos of daylight flashing white "orbs".
Comment icon #84 Posted by Merc14 on 18 April, 2017, 13:19
Your first video was terrible eddie, the focus or something was going in and pout and one side was blurry so I'd guess that random flashes was a problem with the camera.   The second one looked like the late afternoon sun flaring off a high altitude aircraft and overwhelming the CCD in that one spot but the entire second half of the video was grainy to the point of being useless.  Also, when you aim a video camera at the clear day lighted sky and then electronically zoom it to the max you're going to create anomalies such as the camera stepping down to compensate for so much light thereby caus... [More]
Comment icon #85 Posted by ChrLzs on 19 April, 2017, 6:36
Can't be bothered, altho read on...  I have seen NYCE at work previously, and as you have noted, the contents are unevidenced and/or unremarkable.  As is his knowledge of cameras / digital sensors / image artefacts / what flying objects look like when they get caught in sunlight, etc.   If there's anything specific that you or any other erudite forumgoer thinks is unusual or worthy of analysis, do let me know.  Until then I have much better stuff to waste my time on!
Comment icon #86 Posted by Frank Merton on 19 April, 2017, 7:07
There are people who spend their entire lives studying the ures and commentaries of one of the religious traditions (both the great and the not-so-great).  Now this is education, for sure, but about fantasies, so one has to wonder regarding its worth.  I regularly talk with some of my neighbors about the usefulness of knowledge about the moon (I don't dare mention my interest in galaxies and things like that) and they of course think it a ridiculous waste of an otherwise perfectly good mind. I have a regular correspondent and we talk about nothing but the latest results in prime number researc... [More]
Comment icon #87 Posted by Merc14 on 19 April, 2017, 13:16
The only question I have is was I correct when I wrote that aiming a video camera at the open daylight sky will make it step down which may cause a brightly lit high altitude aircraft to bloom?
Comment icon #88 Posted by ChrLzs on 19 April, 2017, 21:59
Yes, the camera will change the aperture and/or shutter speed to adjust the exposure.  It will normally change the aperture first, only changing shutter speed when absolutely necessary.  A change in aperture will do several things: - it will obviously darken or brighten the entire scene.  Things that are very bright may become 'bloomed' (ie the light spreads to adjacent pixels and it blurs outwards) and they may also 'blow out' or 'block' - ie go to pure bright white - at which point details are lost.  In the other direction, if it darkens the scene, dark objects may go to black, again losing ... [More]
Comment icon #89 Posted by Merc14 on 20 April, 2017, 1:16
Thanks much ChrLzs, it is very appreciated and explains the appearance of the object in question perfectlyin teh sky .   Now the question is did NYCEddie not eyeball the aircraft and simply see something in his digitally zoomed video and misinterpret or did he eyeball the aircraft and present the bloomed object anyways?

Saudi Arabian textbook shows Yoda at the UN
9-23-2017
A doctored image of Yoda at the United Nations has somehow ended up in a history textbook.
Juno captures stunning new images of Jupiter
9-23-2017
NASA's Juno probe has sent back four breathtaking new images of the gas giant's swirling atmosphere.
100 people could live on the Moon by 2040
9-22-2017
ESA's ambitious 'Moon village' plan could see humans living on the lunar surface within 25 years.
Man who prevented World War 3 dies aged 77
9-22-2017
Former Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov made a decision in 1983 that may have saved the world.
Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY