Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Earth hit by strongest solar flare in 10 years

Posted on Thursday, 7 September, 2017 | Comment icon 62 comments

Sufficiently large solar flares can cause widespread disruption. Image Credit: NASA/Steele Hill
Two extremely powerful solar flares erupted from a large sunspot on the Sun's surface yesterday.
The two flares erupted approximately three hours apart with the second being the strongest recorded solar flare to have been observed in over a decade.

The flares were reported to have caused significant disruption to high-frequency radio signals with a "wide area of blackouts [and] loss of contact for up to an hour over [the] sunlit side of Earth."

Low frequency communication, which is used in navigation, was also disrupted for a short time.

"We are heading toward solar minimum, but the interesting thing about that is you can still have events, they're just not as frequent," said space weather scientist Rob Steenburgh.

"We're not having X-flares every day for a week, for instance - the activity is less frequent, but no less potentially strong. These kind of events are just part of living with a star."

Source: Space.com | Comments (62)

Tags: Solar Flares, Sun

Comment icon #53 Posted by Nzo on 13 September, 2017, 2:36
They dont call it the DEATH STAR for no reason. I am just saying.
Comment icon #54 Posted by Noteverythingisaconspiracy on 13 September, 2017, 12:34
You do know the Deathstar is fictional don't you ?
Comment icon #55 Posted by Astra. on 13 September, 2017, 13:19
I see, so youwerebeing serious ?
Comment icon #56 Posted by Nzo on 13 September, 2017, 15:49
There is no scientific research to back up what I am saying, so how can I possibly be serious? Yes I know that the Deathstar is fictional. Is'nt it amazing how similiar the death star is to our sun. Its huge and round and has sunspots that look like planet killing death rays. I wonder if G. Lucas actually knew about the sun and sunspots and if it influenced his creation of the death star? If, not it is extremely coincidental.
Comment icon #57 Posted by ziomek on 13 September, 2017, 20:04
Hmm
Comment icon #58 Posted by Astra. on 13 September, 2017, 21:39
Since folk here arenotmind readers, andall we haveis text to go by, sometimes it's worth adding an emoticon so at least othersknow whether you are being humorous or not...just sayin!..
Comment icon #59 Posted by Nzo on 14 September, 2017, 6:15
I had no idea that people would take issue with me dissing the sun. Which is a total surprise to me and makes me want to ask, what would have been your rebuttal had I been serious? I guess, maybe people still worship the sun? I have a line of thought that I amuse myself with from time to time. There are some(cannot remember where I read it, probably a religious studies course in university or science fiction novel) that think that the sun is sentient. God(RA) for lack of a better understanding. I think to myself, if this were to be true and this sun is sentient like all the other stars in th... [More]
Comment icon #60 Posted by krone on 16 September, 2017, 19:39
Yes, I feel the same way when the news talks about a 'disruption' that, translated, means some flights were grounded for a couple of hours. Give me a break! Most of those flights are wholly unnecessary and the whole industry's doomed anyway, since we're on our last oil and no one's come up with an electric passenger jet. A couple of flights being grounded is going to seem like a joke in a couple of years' time.
Comment icon #61 Posted by krone on 16 September, 2017, 19:43
Not defending theology here but this is, i believe, the whole question that most religions were created to try and find an answer to. Whether one feels any of them have succeeded, and to which extent, is a whole other question.
Comment icon #62 Posted by pallidin on 17 September, 2017, 1:38
Good God you people are weird.

Miami politician was 'abducted by aliens'
10-17-2017
Congressional candidate Bettina Rodriguez Aguilera recalls having alien abduction experiences as a child.
Whales and dolphins lead 'human-like lives'
10-17-2017
Scientists have linked the brain size of cetaceans to the 'human-like' nature of their social behaviors.
Neutron star smash signals major breakthrough
10-16-2017
For the first time ever, gravitational waves and light have been picked up from the same cosmic event.
Scottish scientists send a teacake in to space
10-16-2017
Thousands of people watched online as the popular confectionery was launched in to the heavens on Friday.
Schlieren imaging in color
Posted 10-16-2017 | 1 comment
A look at Schlieren imaging - a technique that can help to visualize tiny differences in air.

Glowing creatures of the deep
Posted 10-15-2017 | 0 comments
This vintage clip sees Sir David Attenborough descending in to the dark depths of the sea.

Slow motion pellet split
Posted 10-14-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to split an air gun pellet with a knife to pop two balloons.

Dog with world's longest tongue
Posted 10-12-2017 | 2 comments
Meet Mochi Rickert - a female St Bernard with a tongue measuring 18.58 cm in length.

How do helicopters fly without wings ?
Posted 10-11-2017 | 5 comments
A look at how helicopter rotor blades make it possible to fly vertically in to the air.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY