Thursday, May 19, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Natural World > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Natural World

Beyonce fly named after singer

January 15, 2012 | Comment icon 12 comments

Image Credit: CC 2.0 Cornel Pex
A species of fly has been named after the singer Beyonce due to its distinctive golden posterior.
"It was the unique dense golden hairs on the fly's abdomen that led me to name this fly in honour of the performer Beyoncé as well as giving me the chance to demonstrate the fun side of taxonomy – the naming of species," said Bryan Lessard. The Scaptia beyonceae fly is found in Queensland, Australia and was first collected in the year of Beyonce's birth, 1981.
The name complies with the rules set by the International Commission of Zoological Nomenclature, which allows for species to receive names honouring people, including celebrities.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (12)

Comment icon #3 Posted by Eldorado 10 years ago
Oh I dunno. Beyonces ass is too fat for me. Great performer though. Snap! I prefer the looks of Rihanna. But she's a pest too. lol
Comment icon #4 Posted by Device 10 years ago
Snap! I prefer the looks of Rihanna. But she's a pest too. lol Yes, Rihanna. Now we're talking. She's more the full package to me. But without veering off-topic too radically - they should've named that fly after her instead.
Comment icon #5 Posted by chainsawcam 10 years ago
they've also named a strain of cannabis after her and JayZ's baby, lol
Comment icon #6 Posted by 747400 10 years ago
What, Beyonce has dense golden hair on her abdomen? I'm not sure whether she'd se this as a compliment.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Sevenof Seven 10 years ago
Let me see if I got this right... we just want to swat her and stop that annoying sound? yeah... that sounds about right.
Comment icon #8 Posted by RedSquirrel 10 years ago
I like it so much... I put a ring on it.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Sevenof Seven 10 years ago
I like it so much... I put a ring on it. I love this Red Squirrel! Well Done! ROFL
Comment icon #10 Posted by Junior Chubb 10 years ago
Well, she always said she was 'Fly'...... Sorry.
Comment icon #11 Posted by UniqueWolf 10 years ago
(too busy laughing to say anything)
Comment icon #12 Posted by missymoo999 10 years ago
Well it is a fly.Who wants a fly named after them ? Catherine Zeta Jones has a red lipstick shade named for her.... A ffllllyyy ? She's so stuck up,this will offend her. Bahahahahahaha !

Total Posts: 7,264,737    Topics: 298,783    Members: 196,922