Wednesday, May 23, 2018

New super-predator dinosaur discovered

Posted on Thursday, 7 November, 2013 | Comment icon 6 comments

Lythronax was an apex predator of its day. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Scott Robert Anselmo
A new 80 million-year-old relative of the Tyrannosaurus rex has been unearthed in southern Utah.
The newly discovered dinosaur has been named Lythronax argestes, which means "king of gore". At 30ft in length and with a vicious set of teeth just as deadly as those of its more infamous cousin, this slightly smaller species lived before the T. rex but was still the largest predator of its time.

"It's always exciting to find new species but what's really significant is what these species tell us about their ancient world," said study co-author Randall Irmis. "This was a very different place 80 million years ago. It was a very lush, wet, tropical environment and there were no polar ice caps at the time."

Despite the slight size difference, Lythronax possessed many of the characteristics of Tyrannosaurus rex including the massive jaws and binocular vision that helped to make it such an effective predator.

Source: BBC News | Comments (6)

Tags: Dinosaur

Comment icon #1 Posted by PlanB on 6 November, 2013, 19:42
Comment icon #2 Posted by bassai26 on 7 November, 2013, 13:33
I want to discover also on my own... bet its really fascinating.
Comment icon #3 Posted by LimeGelatin on 7 November, 2013, 16:34
Hummmm... Very interesting that is...
Comment icon #4 Posted by Calibeliever on 7 November, 2013, 20:21
I wish I discovered a dinosaur just so that I could give it an awesome-sounding name. Probably something like Throat-punch-guitar-solo-asaurus. Google translates this to latin as "Cithara gutture ferrum Solonem". Kind of rolls off the tongue ...
Comment icon #5 Posted by coolguy on 8 November, 2013, 5:21
Awesome find its awesome they find these new dinosaur
Comment icon #6 Posted by Mark56 on 10 November, 2013, 2:18
I'd love to have one for a pet. I'd name him "Dino".

New Grace mission will weigh Earth's water
5-23-2018
The launch of two new satellites in to orbit will enable scientists to study the evolution of our planet's climate.
Giant predatory worms have invaded France
5-22-2018
Scientists have warned that huge worms up to 40cm long have been silently invading French gardens.
$17B 'holy grail of shipwrecks' discovered
5-22-2018
The long-lost 300-year-old Spanish galleon was found with the help of an autonomous underwater vehicle.
Man 'being followed by a pig' calls the police
5-22-2018
Police in Ohio were shocked to discover that a call about a pig following a man home was actually genuine.
Can an artificial intelligence really think ?
Posted 5-22-2018 | 8 comments
AI computer systems may be intelligent, but can they ever be truly self-aware ?

Where are all the B batteries ?
Posted 5-20-2018 | 2 comments
Batteries such as AA and AAA are common, but where are all the other letters ?

Meerkats caught in a dust storm
Posted 5-15-2018 | 1 comment
This group of meerkats in the Kalahari desert must split up to hide and survive the storm.

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA