Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Pompeii elite ate giraffe and sea urchins

Posted on Sunday, 5 January, 2014 | Comment icon 15 comments

The streets of Pompeii. Image Credit: PD - Alago
A new study has revealed some of the more unusual diets of those who lived in the doomed Roman city.
One of the best known disasters in history, the demise of the ancient Roman city of Pompeii at the hands of a volcanic eruption has provided archaeologists with a treasure trove of clues detailing every facet of how its people lived and died.

One of the myths of ancient Rome that Pompeii has helped to dispel is that of food. While once it was thought that the Roman elite dined on delicacies while the regular townsfolk made do with birdseed and other basic foodstuffs, now it appears that the class divide was nowhere near as extreme.

"The traditional vision of some mass of hapless lemmings - scrounging for whatever they can pinch from the side of a street, or huddled around a bowl of gruel - needs to be replaced by a higher fare and standard of living, at least for the urbanites in Pompeii," said study co-author Steven Ellis.

Instead, the lower classes would have eaten simple but healthy foods while wealthier individuals would have dined on exotic delicacies such as sea urchins and even giraffe.

"This is thought to be the only giraffe bone ever recorded from an archaeological excavation in Roman Italy," said Ellis.

Source: NBC News | Comments (15)

Tags: Pompeii

Comment icon #6 Posted by The New Richard Nixon on 5 January, 2014, 18:14
I'll bet the giraffe had a much wider range back then. no, the Roman Empire expanded and had lots of trade
Comment icon #7 Posted by TheSpoonyOne on 5 January, 2014, 23:56
I wonder what giraffe tastes like...?
Comment icon #8 Posted by AliveInDeath7 on 6 January, 2014, 0:17
I wonder what giraffe tastes like...? I'd try it.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Peter B on 6 January, 2014, 9:11
I wonder what giraffe tastes like...? Long cow?
Comment icon #10 Posted by keninsc on 6 January, 2014, 10:27
I have to admit I've always wanted to visit Pompeii. I'm not surprised they had Giraffe, they used to gather exotic animals from all over the empire, haul them to Italy, take them to the various coliseums, kill them then off to the butcher's shop they'd go. I recall reading that at one particular banquet they feasted on a casserole that was made from the brains of flamingos. There were a thousand guests at this banquet, can you imagine how many flamingos had to die to make enough to feed a thousand guests? The Romans were known for their excesses in everything.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Child of Bast on 6 January, 2014, 14:46
Comment icon #12 Posted by ealdwita on 6 January, 2014, 21:19
Hardly surprising that this or any other animal was on the menu of any ancient city. Anything is edible when you come down to it. Erm...Would you mind awfully if I changed my mind about accepting your kind invitation to that dinner party next week?
Comment icon #13 Posted by JGirl on 6 January, 2014, 21:32
I wonder what giraffe tastes like...? chicken
Comment icon #14 Posted by Dougward5 on 6 January, 2014, 21:41
I would love to try that but I think I need a bigger grill
Comment icon #15 Posted by Eldorado on 6 January, 2014, 21:43
"Giraffe neck for tables 5 through 27"!

New geological era named the Meghalayan Age
7-18-2018
Scientists have announced that the last 4,200 years of Earth's history have been given an official name.
Twelve new moons discovered around Jupiter
7-17-2018
The discovery means that the gas giant has a total of 79 moons - more than any other planet in the solar system.
5,500-year-old tomb discovered in Ireland
7-17-2018
A megalithic tomb unearthed in County Meath has been described by archaeologists as the 'find of a lifetime'.
A quadrillion tons of diamond discovered
7-17-2018
Scientists have determined that there is 1,000 times more diamond beneath our feet than previously thought.
Spinning a record to pieces
Posted 7-15-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another intriguing slow motion experiment with old vinyl records.

Pearlfish's gross hiding spot
Posted 7-8-2018 | 1 comment
A pearlfish finds a particularly unappealing place to hide on the ocean floor.

What jobs will flourish in the future ?
Posted 7-5-2018 | 2 comments
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku predicts which jobs will be important in the future.

Skunked
Posted 7-1-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson meets a rather adorable skunk - but can he avoid getting sprayed ?

Magic spelling
Posted 6-27-2018 | 0 comments
Michael and Dianna check out Jim Steinmeyer's 'Nine Card Speller' magic trick.

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA