Thursday, April 26, 2018

Has ET already dismissed us as unintelligent?

Posted on Wednesday, 4 June, 2014 | Comment icon 398 comments

Tyson speaking in 2009 at the Apollo 40th anniversary event. Image Credit: NASA
Astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson has suggested that we may already be in a post alien contact era.
While SETI focuses its efforts on finding evidence of extraterrestrial intelligence out in space, there are some who believe that aliens may have already been visiting us for some time.

In a recent interview with MSNBC, astrophysicist and Cosmos presenter Neil DeGrasse Tyson has put forward a third possibility, one that most of us aren't going to like. The concept centers around the fact that it is only by our own definition that we have determined what constitutes "intelligent" life in the universe.

"My great fear is that we've in fact been visited by intelligent aliens, but they chose not to make contact, on the conclusion that there's no sign of intelligent life on Earth," he said.

It has long been speculated that our understanding of the universe may be severely limited by our perceptual capabilities. Perhaps to a sufficiently intelligent alien species a human being appears no more intelligent than an insect - a primitive life form barely capable of comprehension.

"The audacity of us to even claim we can define intelligence," said Tyson.

Source: CNET | Comments (398)

Tags: Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Extraterrestrial

Comment icon #389 Posted by Merc14 on 13 August, 2014, 6:54
Hawkin, he indeed does. Rarely do I meet a debater of such integrity and depth of knowledge. He has no need to tag-team as his knowledge of this field is second to none, for which I am envious. Cheers, Badeskov HE, I was picking up my wife and son at the airport after their return from 6 weeks away but I agree with Badeskov and yes, those old radars saw a lot of anomalies. As I said, have you not noticed that modern radars (pulse doppler) aren't detecting UFOs? Those old pulse radars were very susceptible to weather and inversion layers whereas the new tech sees through such things. The F-14 h... [More]
Comment icon #390 Posted by badeskov on 13 August, 2014, 7:00
HE, I was picking up my wife and son at the airport after their return from 6 weeks away but I agree with Badeskov and yes, those old radars saw a lot of anomalies. As I said, have you not noticed that modern radars (pulse doppler) aren't detecting UFOs? Those old pulse radars were very susceptible to weather and inversion layers whereas the new tech sees through such things. The F-14 had both types of radar available and it was a night and day difference although the pulse radar could do things the PD radar couldn't. Of course, modern phased array radars see everything clearly now, everything... [More]
Comment icon #391 Posted by psyche101 on 13 August, 2014, 7:15
I will give p101 a lot of credit. He can give a good debate one on one without having to Tag Team. Thank you Hawkin, I think you are a really decent bloke as well. I like the questions you ask, and how you ask them. I wish more people would follow your lead mate. This should be a discussion, no reason we cannot get along just because we do not agree on a certain conclusion. Heck, if that was the case Marriage would be redundant!!! In fact I have taken quite a shine to you mate, I'd buy you a beer any day of the week and I would have a great time conversing with you in person. You are a rationa... [More]
Comment icon #392 Posted by DONTEATUS on 14 August, 2014, 3:26
Do I read all this correctly ? That people thru out all the years of sightings,and radar contacts say that all sightings and said contacts are false,weather,related,glitches, ect missinterpatations ? Now please help me thru this a bit? Everyone or at least some believe that there has been no such events on this world? Not too open minded to say the least ! I for one do actually know a bit about the aviation industry,What I saw was not of this world, nor made by Humans. And for sure was not a weather ,or Plasma event. Just my two cents ! No need to reply.
Comment icon #393 Posted by badeskov on 14 August, 2014, 4:47
snip Kind of you to say my friend, yet here you are one of my biggest inspirations and one who has taught me so very much here my friend. I am sure Hawkin does not realise it is just friendly corroboration, not an attack on his valid questions. Your guidance over the years has been invaluable to my understanding and development regarding this phenomena. I have nothing of which you could be envious my friend that I can fathom. I very much look up to you mate and hold you in the highest regard. Thank you for the kind words Psyche, they are very much appreciated albeit I am not sure that they are... [More]
Comment icon #394 Posted by kartikg on 14 August, 2014, 15:47
Perhaps we are the last ditch effort of a dying species. A means for them to exist even after they've died out. Like how children are a part of their parent, though they may not look exactly like them. Considering the higher radiation on the planet at the time, I'm sure there would have been mutations. Kind of reminds me of the intro to Prometheus. Maybe our quest for technology and space travel is instinctual? I like to agree but I think only a tiny fraction of the population is into space travel right now. Just look around you people doing things which are not even remotely related to space ... [More]
Comment icon #395 Posted by klambo on 14 August, 2014, 23:16
I for one do actually know a bit about the aviation industry,What I saw was not of this world, nor made by Humans. And for sure was not a weather ,or Plasma event. Just my two cents ! No need to reply. For you to make that assertion you would need to be a true expert in so many different disciplines, which include astronomy, meteorolgy.........not to mention top secret millitary craft. Again just because YOU could not match watch you saw with anything that YOU could reference.........doesn't mean that noone else could or that it was "not of this world".
Comment icon #396 Posted by Ichihara on 15 August, 2014, 0:36
no because they didnt met us yet. and we are intellignet overall. if ET met us they would label as rather as corrupted.
Comment icon #397 Posted by DONTEATUS on 15 August, 2014, 3:41
For you to make that assertion you would need to be a true expert in so many different disciplines, which include astronomy, meteorolgy.........not to mention top secret millitary craft. Again just because YOU could not match watch you saw with anything that YOU could reference.........doesn't mean that noone else could or that it was "not of this world". No one else ? I was the only one at the event,sighting. No one else was there to see what I saw. And I do know what Im looking at. I didnt fall off the turnip truck for nothing !
Comment icon #398 Posted by Merc14 on 15 August, 2014, 4:00
No one else ? I was the only one at the event,sighting. No one else was there to see what I saw. And I do know what Im looking at. I didnt fall off the turnip truck for nothing ! What did you see that was so life changing?

World's largest wind turbine to be 853ft tall
4-26-2018
The upcoming 12 megawatt wind power platform will be almost three times the height of the Statue of Liberty.
Star map update to feature 1.7 billion stars
4-26-2018
Astronomers from ESA's Gaia mission will tomorrow release the largest map of our galaxy ever created.
Fossil footprints hint at giant sloth chase
4-26-2018
New evidence has been discovered to suggest that our ancestors hunted down giant prehistoric sloths.
Was ancient 'hashtag' the first human symbol?
4-25-2018
Hashtag-like etchings found on a rock in South Africa's Blombos Cave are thought to be over 100,000 years old.
Could you survive a nuclear bomb ?
Posted 4-24-2018 | 0 comments
If someone dropped an atomic bomb on a city, what would be your chances of survival ?

What does space smell like ?
Posted 4-23-2018 | 0 comments
Does the vacuum of space actually smell of anything and if so, what ?

Why is US paper money green ?
Posted 4-22-2018 | 0 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why the color green was used when printing US bank notes.

Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA