Monday, April 23, 2018

Neil deGrasse Tyson shoots down flat-Earthers

Posted on Sunday, 11 March, 2018 | Comment icon 18 comments

No, the Earth is not flat. Seriously, it isn't. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 NikoLang
The popular astrophysicist has provided an in-depth rebuttal to the absurd notion that the Earth is flat.
In the age of orbiting satellites, interplanetary spacecraft and a fully manned space station, the fact that the Earth is round (an oblate spheroid) is as indisputable as the nose on your face.

Remarkably however, there are still those who remain adamant that the Earth is actually flat.

In this latest video uploaded to the Star Talk YouTube channel, Neil deGrasse Tyson explains some of the many reasons why this notion is so blatantly ridiculous.

"What's odd, is there are people who think that Earth is flat but recognize that the moon is round. Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and the sun are all spheres," he said.

"But Earth is flat... something doesn't square here."

The full video, which also features stand-up comic Chuck Nice, can be viewed below.

Source: Space.com | Comments (18)

Tags: Flat Earth

Comment icon #9 Posted by Geomaniac on 11 March, 2018, 13:11
It is interesting that in order to debunk the spherical earth they have also had to debunk NASA. So one madness leads to another.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Chaldon on 11 March, 2018, 13:33
Basically the first proof from the video is more than enough for this stupidity to end. All one needs it to buy a decent scope (buying a simple one in advance and disassembling it to understand how it works is highly recommended). I've seen it all with my own eyes: Jupiter is round and its surface obviously scrolls along, so it is obviously spherical. Its moons rotate around it too, in the same manner - slower near the edges and faster when passing in front or behind. Mars is round, and although I can discern no features, I guess it's spherical as well. Venus and Mercury look more or less like... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by seanjo on 11 March, 2018, 16:20
What's worse is the people that "Philosophised" were usually the so-called†brainboxes of the day...
Comment icon #12 Posted by Nzo on 11 March, 2018, 18:02
I really don't like this guy and how he became the voice of science is beyond me. As for people that believe in a flat earth, well I can find people that believe a lot of strange things but none of these things make the news. Also he should be aware that scientists are literally working on research to prove or disprove that the universe is a 2d hologram. https://www.space.com/26969-universe-2d-hologram-holometer-experiment.html † Now had this pseudo scientist, more like a political hack had done some reading about whats going on in the world of physics etc. then he would have suggested that th... [More]
Comment icon #13 Posted by qxcontinuum on 13 March, 2018, 4:23
I find Neil to be more of a spokesman rather than a scientist hands full into science you know. Very similar to the company I work for, our spokesman comes to me or to some of us asking more details about a certain subject.†So if I want to manipulate the actual subject which goes out to the public I will use this person to send through the message I want. I'm not saying that Earth is round or flat, I just agree with some of the audience here about Neil to be not as nerdy he pretends to be.
Comment icon #14 Posted by ChaosRose on 13 March, 2018, 4:25
Why? Isn't there something more productive he could be doing?
Comment icon #15 Posted by internetperson on 13 March, 2018, 18:12
wow
Comment icon #16 Posted by South Alabam on 13 March, 2018, 21:39
I'm kinda thinking "everyone" has shot down flat-earthers.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Quarky on 18 March, 2018, 5:27
If Neil DeGrasse Tyson debunks the issue.........then there actually may be something to it!† Thought this site was for OPEN minds seeking less of the mainstream dogma and more of the possibility of real truth.† Can you prove me wrong now?
Comment icon #18 Posted by Timonthy on 18 March, 2018, 6:06
You thought wrong, thatís not what this site is for.†

'Super Earth' aliens may be trapped by gravity
4-23-2018
On planets more massive than the Earth, launching things in to space will be a lot more challenging.
Bill Gates backs 'big brother' satellite network
4-23-2018
Known as EarthNow, the project aims to offer live streaming of the entire planet 24 hours a day.
Asteroid mining could be worth trillions
4-22-2018
According to Goldman Sachs, asteroid mining has the potential to produce the world's first trillionaires.
Mind control documents released by accident
4-22-2018
A file recently released by the US government contains information about 'psycho-electric weapons'.
What does space smell like ?
Posted 4-23-2018 | 0 comments
Does the vacuum of space actually smell of anything and if so, what ?

Why is US paper money green ?
Posted 4-22-2018 | 0 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why the color green was used when printing US bank notes.

Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

The world's roundest object
Posted 4-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at how the roundest object can help us to define the humble kilogram.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA