Sunday, June 26, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Space & Astronomy > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Space & Astronomy

Neil deGrasse Tyson shoots down flat-Earthers

March 11, 2018 | Comment icon 16 comments

No, the Earth is not flat. Seriously, it isn't. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 NikoLang
The popular astrophysicist has provided an in-depth rebuttal to the absurd notion that the Earth is flat.
In the age of orbiting satellites, interplanetary spacecraft and a fully manned space station, the fact that the Earth is round (an oblate spheroid) is as indisputable as the nose on your face.

Remarkably however, there are still those who remain adamant that the Earth is actually flat.

In this latest video uploaded to the Star Talk YouTube channel, Neil deGrasse Tyson explains some of the many reasons why this notion is so blatantly ridiculous.
"What's odd, is there are people who think that Earth is flat but recognize that the moon is round. Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and the sun are all spheres," he said.

"But Earth is flat... something doesn't square here."

The full video, which also features stand-up comic Chuck Nice, can be viewed below.

Source: Space.com | Comments (16)

Comment icon #7 Posted by LV-426 4 years ago
The problem is that you're dealing with a group of people that don't accept hard scientific evidence, or even basic observational evidence. Once you get into concepts such as existence, mutiverse theory, etc. there's plenty of scope for debate. Flat-Earthers simply don't strike me as folk that think that deeply... Anyway, these threads are always a good excuse to post this great video! †
Comment icon #8 Posted by Geomaniac 4 years ago
It is interesting that in order to debunk the spherical earth they have also had to debunk NASA. So one madness leads to another.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Chaldon 4 years ago
Basically the first proof from the video is more than enough for this stupidity to end. All one needs it to buy a decent scope (buying a simple one in advance and disassembling it to understand how it works is highly recommended). I've seen it all with my own eyes: Jupiter is round and its surface obviously scrolls along, so it is obviously spherical. Its moons rotate around it too, in the same manner - slower near the edges and faster when passing in front or behind. Mars is round, and although I can discern no features, I guess it's spherical as well. Venus and Mercury look more or less like... [More]
Comment icon #10 Posted by Nzo 4 years ago
I really don't like this guy and how he became the voice of science is beyond me. As for people that believe in a flat earth, well I can find people that believe a lot of strange things but none of these things make the news. Also he should be aware that scientists are literally working on research to prove or disprove that the universe is a 2d hologram. https://www.space.com/26969-universe-2d-hologram-holometer-experiment.html † Now had this pseudo scientist, more like a political hack had done some reading about whats going on in the world of physics etc. then he would have suggested that th... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by qxcontinuum 4 years ago
I find Neil to be more of a spokesman rather than a scientist hands full into science you know. Very similar to the company I work for, our spokesman comes to me or to some of us asking more details about a certain subject.†So if I want to manipulate the actual subject which goes out to the public I will use this person to send through the message I want. I'm not saying that Earth is round or flat, I just agree with some of the audience here about Neil to be not as nerdy he pretends to be.
Comment icon #12 Posted by ChaosRose 4 years ago
Why? Isn't there something more productive he could be doing?
Comment icon #13 Posted by internetperson 4 years ago
wow
Comment icon #14 Posted by South Alabam 4 years ago
I'm kinda thinking "everyone" has shot down flat-earthers.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Quarky 4 years ago
If Neil DeGrasse Tyson debunks the issue.........then there actually may be something to it!† Thought this site was for OPEN minds seeking less of the mainstream dogma and more of the possibility of real truth.† Can you prove me wrong now?
Comment icon #16 Posted by Timonthy 4 years ago
You thought wrong, thatís not what this site is for.†

Total Posts: 7,284,118    Topics: 299,672    Members: 197,509