Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Friday 13th coincides with the full moon

Posted on Friday, 13 June, 2014 | Comment icon 36 comments

Unlucky for some ? Image Credit: CC BY-2.0 Jason Bache
Today is considered to be one of the unluckiest days of the year and this time around there's a twist.
Friday 13th has long been a day rich in superstition, a time when extra care is taken to avoid walking under ladders, breaking mirrors or doing any of the other things that Western culture deems to be unlucky.

For those dreading this most unfortunate of days however today holds in store a double dose of superstition as not only is this Friday 13th but there also happens to be a full moon as well.

The last time this happened was back in the year 2000 and it isn't due to happen again until 2049.

But is there really anything to worry about ? Can events such as these have an actual measurable impact on our lives or is it all just superstitious nonsense ?

During the 1990s, the British Medical Journal published a study that investigated the number of road accidents that took place in the South West Thames area during a three year period. The researchers found that the number of accidents went from 45 on six Friday 6ths to 65 accidents on the same number of Friday 13ths during the same period - an increase of 52%.

Source: Independent.ie | Comments (36)

Tags: Friday 13th, Full Moon

Comment icon #27 Posted by Silent Trinity on 14 June, 2014, 6:47
Well we got through the 13th ok, i'm writing this on the 14th, as after all it is just a number and it's coincidental alignment with a phase of our nearest lunar body actually means nothing lol.
Comment icon #28 Posted by freetoroam on 14 June, 2014, 11:05
I had a good day, but oh boy did my work colleague suffer. We did have a joke that it was Friday the 13th, but that did not help his day go anymore smoothly. It started with his boyfriend phoning him and telling him someone had stolen money from his bank account, by mid-day my colleague still had not taken any money on his counter, which is really unusual by the afternoon the boyfriend phoned him again to tell him he had just been fired from his job by the time I was due to go home my friends area manger had phoned him to tell him she would not approve his holiday and they were having a promot... [More]
Comment icon #29 Posted by JVG on 14 June, 2014, 12:34
Holy carp! I don't really believe in superstitions but today was crazy. I drive for a living and the last time I saw this much crazy on the roads was black Friday. I don't know what is going on around here but I hope it doesn't last all weekend, I don't know how many more near misses I can take. Same here yesterday was a terrible day on the roads. We witnessed many near misses, T-Bones and just about anything else that could go wrong on the highways and byways... People think they are driving bumper cars!!!
Comment icon #30 Posted by SaraT on 14 June, 2014, 12:59
And I found the dreaded full moon Friday 13th to be a wonderful day out with friends. Good food, great conversation, and maybe a little more shopping than I should have done. :/
Comment icon #31 Posted by highdesert50 on 14 June, 2014, 13:06
If one fishes long enough, one will eventually find a fish. So, too with correlations. Reminds me of the bad statistics that positively correlated ice cream consumption with murder rates ... the reporter forgetting that murder rates also increase during the summer months as does ice cream consumption. Let us not forget correlation does not equate to causation.
Comment icon #32 Posted by MissAnnieOminous on 15 June, 2014, 1:48
Well, Friday the 13th went pretty well for me. Went out with friends, met a guy who I thought was really hot. And the full moon was pretty. So I thought it was a nice day!
Comment icon #33 Posted by keithisco on 19 June, 2014, 21:18
One of the purported origins of this superstition was that it was October, Friday 13, in 1307 when King Phillip II (known as Phillip the Fair of France) and the then Pope enacted a decree, and a papal Bull to round up all of the Templar Knights and to try them on spurious grounds of Idolatry, Sodomy and Devil Worship (Baphomet). It was of course just a ruse so that the King did not have to pay back any of the vast sums of money that he had Borrowed from the Templars. The Templars were pre / warned by associates in high places, so the vast majority of their wealth had been secreted aboard their... [More]
Comment icon #34 Posted by scowl on 20 June, 2014, 19:15
I went camping. Nothing bad happened.
Comment icon #35 Posted by FTW on 29 June, 2014, 1:57
went camping and seen a werewolf with a hockey mask and a machete but my camera wouldnt work
Comment icon #36 Posted by kidagakash on 30 June, 2014, 14:59
Also, Mercury is in retrograde and there will be solar flares! This is the end!!! Break out your tin-foil hats and hide in the basement! Those flares knocked out my country's power grid in the mid afternoon. DSL was down most of the day for the town I live in, too

Message in a bottle mystery sparks new hunt
2-19-2018
The son of a man who found a message in a bottle 60 years ago is now searching for the author's relatives.
Mystery of deadly Roman 'Gate to Hell' solved
2-19-2018
Scientists have determined what made the notorious Roman cave so deadly to those who ventured inside.
Hunt for Earth 2.0 yields 95 new exoplanets
2-18-2018
A renewed hunt for Earth-like worlds has yielded a haul of 95 previously undiscovered extrasolar planets.
Scientists create human-sheep hybrid embryos
2-18-2018
The research aims to solve donor organ shortages by making it possible to grow human organs inside sheep.
Big Bang vs Big Bounce
Posted 2-16-2018 | 0 comments
Was there another universe here before our own universe came in to existence ?

The Leaning Tower of Lire
Posted 2-12-2018 | 0 comments
Vsauce returns with a thought-provoking video about the problem of stacking blocks.

How did the dinosaurs die ?
Posted 2-8-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the devastating events that preceded the extinction of the dinosaurs.

World's longest bicycle
Posted 2-5-2018 | 2 comments
This ridiculous bicycle measures 41.42 meters in length and took nine months to put together.

The British flying Jeep
Posted 2-3-2018 | 0 comments
The British military reportedly developed a prototype flying car all the way back in 1942.

Black hole in Bismarck
2-14-2018 | Mandan

Trapped and chased
2-9-2018 | Saskatchewan canada

Someone calling my name
2-9-2018 | Budd Lake NJ

Strange feeling
1-18-2018 | Different places

Unexplained voices
1-18-2018 | United States

First college apartment
12-31-2017 | Daytona Beach, FL

The night my niece was murdered
12-19-2017 | Delhi, Louisiana