Thursday, April 26, 2018

Singapore fisherman catches 'alien' creature

Posted on Wednesday, 15 October, 2014 | Comment icon 49 comments

The creature was a writhing mass of arms. Image Credit: YouTube / NYPost
Footage of a bizarre writhing specimen fished up near the island of Sentosa has been posted online.
54-year-old Ong Han Boon had been on a fishing trip when he reeled in a creature so strange that he thought it was an alien.

"When I pulled it out of the water, I was completely flummoxed by what I was looking at," he said.

"Iíve had quite a few odd things come out of the ocean, but I have never seen anything like this before in my life. It had all these arms waving around."

Grabbing a video camera Boon recorded the mysterious creature which resembled a big clump of writhing worm-like tentacles that wriggled around in a decidedly unnerving manner.

"Itís either an alien or Iíve discovered a new species of mutant sea creature, which would not surprise me with all the pollution they put in the water nowadays," he said.

Source: New York Post | Comments (49)

Tags: Sea Creature, Singapore

Comment icon #40 Posted by SpiritTraveler on 30 October, 2014, 7:29
And here's a video of how they move in realtime (it is not speeded up..) - while they are sorta related to the slow old starfish, they move much more like an octopus.. Fascinating creatures, and like I said, harmless. It's a dinner party!
Comment icon #41 Posted by Arbenol on 30 October, 2014, 8:31
The only thing unexplained about this mystery is whether a Singaporean fisherman really said "I was completely flummoxed".
Comment icon #42 Posted by ChrLzs on 30 October, 2014, 11:56
Aha - Arbenol, I think you have nailed it. According to my Singaporean-English translation dictionary, 'flummoxed' is an old Singaporean word that means "transfixed by the beauty of a basket star". So he actually knew what it was all the time and it was a simple miscommunication with the interviewer...
Comment icon #43 Posted by Karasu on 30 October, 2014, 16:55
And here's a video of how they move in realtime (it is not speeded up..) - while they are sorta related to the slow old starfish, they move much more like an octopus.. Fascinating creatures, and like I said, harmless. AHHHHHHH Spawn of Cthulu!
Comment icon #44 Posted by ChrLzs on 31 October, 2014, 12:25
All jokes aside, I genuinely have had several brittle stars almost exactly like that one above, and with tentacle spans of about 6" (15cm) crawling all over my hands.. they are incredibly gentle, yet quite fast and also quite dextrous, despite apparently having no eyes. I say 'apparently' as they act exactly like they can see .. because they can! Initially marine biologists thought they used their neurological system to quickly build up a 3d model of their environment from what each tentacle 'felt'... but then they discovered they reacted to the shadows of predators.. It seems they have very c... [More]
Comment icon #45 Posted by SolarPlexus on 6 November, 2014, 5:51
A known species of starfish
Comment icon #46 Posted by ChrLzs on 6 November, 2014, 10:01
A known species of starfish Thanks so much, Solar. Did you .. um .. read the thread at all?
Comment icon #47 Posted by Junior Chubb on 6 November, 2014, 15:23
Thanks so much, Solar. Did you .. um .. read the thread at all? And there was me thinking you only posted facts and refrained from sarcasm...
Comment icon #48 Posted by ChrLzs on 9 November, 2014, 7:07
Sometimes, the inability/unwillingness of folks to bother reading the thread (or even just the first and last pages..), is beyond my comprehension.. At which point the sarcasm, sadly, kicks in. I should resist, I know..
Comment icon #49 Posted by SolarPlexus on 9 November, 2014, 18:04
What's up bro?

Was ancient 'hashtag' the first human symbol?
4-25-2018
Hashtag-like etchings found on a rock in South Africa's Blombos Cave are thought to be over 100,000 years old.
'World's largest mosquito' discovered in China
4-25-2018
A Chinese entomologist found the insect, which has a wingspan of 11.5cm, during a field trip last year.
New 'Noah's Ark' will store DNA of complex life
4-24-2018
The ambitious BioGenome Project aims to sequence and store the genomes of more than 1.5 million species.
Hubble Space Telescope has turned 28
4-24-2018
The world-famous telescope has been capturing images of the cosmos for the better part of three decades.
Could you survive a nuclear bomb ?
Posted 4-24-2018 | 0 comments
If someone dropped an atomic bomb on a city, what would be your chances of survival ?

What does space smell like ?
Posted 4-23-2018 | 0 comments
Does the vacuum of space actually smell of anything and if so, what ?

Why is US paper money green ?
Posted 4-22-2018 | 0 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why the color green was used when printing US bank notes.

Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA