Thursday, May 23, 2019

Singapore fisherman catches 'alien' creature

Posted on Wednesday, 15 October, 2014 | Comment icon 49 comments

The creature was a writhing mass of arms. Image Credit: YouTube / NYPost
Footage of a bizarre writhing specimen fished up near the island of Sentosa has been posted online.
54-year-old Ong Han Boon had been on a fishing trip when he reeled in a creature so strange that he thought it was an alien.

"When I pulled it out of the water, I was completely flummoxed by what I was looking at," he said.

"Iíve had quite a few odd things come out of the ocean, but I have never seen anything like this before in my life. It had all these arms waving around."

Grabbing a video camera Boon recorded the mysterious creature which resembled a big clump of writhing worm-like tentacles that wriggled around in a decidedly unnerving manner.

"Itís either an alien or Iíve discovered a new species of mutant sea creature, which would not surprise me with all the pollution they put in the water nowadays," he said.

Source: New York Post | Comments (49)

Tags: Sea Creature, Singapore

Comment icon #40 Posted by SpiritTraveler on 30 October, 2014, 7:29
And here's a video of how they move in realtime (it is not speeded up..) - while they are sorta related to the slow old starfish, they move much more like an octopus.. Fascinating creatures, and like I said, harmless. It's a dinner party!
Comment icon #41 Posted by Arbenol on 30 October, 2014, 8:31
The only thing unexplained about this mystery is whether a Singaporean fisherman really said "I was completely flummoxed".
Comment icon #42 Posted by ChrLzs on 30 October, 2014, 11:56
Aha - Arbenol, I think you have nailed it. According to my Singaporean-English translation dictionary, 'flummoxed' is an old Singaporean word that means "transfixed by the beauty of a basket star". So he actually knew what it was all the time and it was a simple miscommunication with the interviewer...
Comment icon #43 Posted by Karasu on 30 October, 2014, 16:55
And here's a video of how they move in realtime (it is not speeded up..) - while they are sorta related to the slow old starfish, they move much more like an octopus.. Fascinating creatures, and like I said, harmless. AHHHHHHH Spawn of Cthulu!
Comment icon #44 Posted by ChrLzs on 31 October, 2014, 12:25
All jokes aside, I genuinely have had several brittle stars almost exactly like that one above, and with tentacle spans of about 6" (15cm) crawling all over my hands.. they are incredibly gentle, yet quite fast and also quite dextrous, despite apparently having no eyes. I say 'apparently' as they act exactly like they can see .. because they can! Initially marine biologists thought they used their neurological system to quickly build up a 3d model of their environment from what each tentacle 'felt'... but then they discovered they reacted to the shadows of predators.. It seems they have very c... [More]
Comment icon #45 Posted by SolarPlexus on 6 November, 2014, 5:51
A known species of starfish
Comment icon #46 Posted by ChrLzs on 6 November, 2014, 10:01
A known species of starfish Thanks so much, Solar. Did you .. um .. read the thread at all?
Comment icon #47 Posted by Junior Chubb on 6 November, 2014, 15:23
Thanks so much, Solar. Did you .. um .. read the thread at all? And there was me thinking you only posted facts and refrained from sarcasm...
Comment icon #48 Posted by ChrLzs on 9 November, 2014, 7:07
Sometimes, the inability/unwillingness of folks to bother reading the thread (or even just the first and last pages..), is beyond my comprehension.. At which point the sarcasm, sadly, kicks in. I should resist, I know..
Comment icon #49 Posted by SolarPlexus on 9 November, 2014, 18:04
What's up bro?

Humans on Mars could become a new species
5-22-2019
An evolutionary biologist has outlined what is likely to happen when people start living full-time on Mars.
Robbie Williams song was inspired by ghosts
5-22-2019
The British singer has claimed that his hit song 'Angels' was inspired by his childhood paranormal experiences.
80,000 bees found inside couple's bedroom wall
5-22-2019
A couple living in the Spanish town of Pinos Puente had been unable to sleep due to the loud buzzing sound.
NASA's 9-year Moon landing plan has leaked
5-21-2019
An internal NASA diagram showing details of its plans for the next decade has started to circulate online.
Crashed UFO off Gig Harbor Wa.
5-15-2019 | Gig Harbor Wa.

My enlightenment