Sunday, January 21, 2018

Bees may now be addicted to pesticides

Posted on Monday, 27 April, 2015 | Comment icon 15 comments

Pesticides pose a significant risk to bees and other pollinators. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Mark Winterbourne
Rather than avoiding harmful pesticides on plants, bees might actually be deliberately targeting them.
For many years now bees have been in steady decline across both Europe and North America, a crisis that if left unchecked could eventually lead to food shortages because the bees play such an important role in pollinating food crops.

Intensive research in to the phenomenon has revealed that this decline is likely to be the result of multiple factors including pesticides, disease and habitat loss. Several pesticides have already been banned in the EU in an effort to curb the problem.

Now however researchers at Newcastle University have made a new discovery that could help to shed more light on the reasons why pesticides are proving so deadly to bee populations.

What they found was that bees actually get a "buzz" out of the chemicals contained within certain pesticides and go out of their way to seek out plants that have been sprayed with them.

Neonicotinoids are particularly bad for this as they contain nicotine-like chemicals.

"We now have evidence that bees prefer to eat pesticide-contaminated food," said Prof Geraldine Wright. "Neonicotinoids target the same mechanisms in the bee brain that are affected by nicotine in the human brain."

"As soon as it gets into their blood they're getting a little buzz, as it were, and they're responding to that... We don't have any evidence that it's addictive, but it could be."

Source: BBC News | Comments (15)

Tags: Bees, Collapse

Comment icon #6 Posted by Sundew on 27 April, 2015, 15:01
We have the huge bumble bees that bore their way into the wood on our porch. I love them. Most people ask me why i don't kill them, as they duck, dodge and spring their way into my home to get away. But if you don't bother them they won't bother you. Besides the occasional buzzing past your head of course... Wood boring bees, I have them too. Having sawn through a pressure treated 4x4 and seeing the damage they do, I would not recommend letting them gnaw their way through your home. A tennis racket works wonders, and no pesticide needed.
Comment icon #7 Posted by She-ra on 27 April, 2015, 15:38
We have the huge bumble bees that bore their way into the wood on our porch. I love them. Most people ask me why i don't kill them, as they duck, dodge and spring their way into my home to get away. But if you don't bother them they won't bother you. Besides the occasional buzzing past your head of course... Yep I have them too. They are huge! We just fill in the holes they make and try to get them to go somewhere else. My dogs go nuts and try to chase them. It's rather comical over here at times I like to keep them somewhat close though so they can pollinate my plants and veggies and all that
Comment icon #8 Posted by TripGun on 27 April, 2015, 16:33
Wood boring bees, I have them too. Having sawn through a pressure treated 4x4 and seeing the damage they do, I would not recommend letting them gnaw their way through your home. A tennis racket works wonders, and no pesticide needed. I know excactly what your talking about. I have an old racquetball racket on my porch, it's the perfect anti-insect weapon.
Comment icon #9 Posted by ancient astronaut on 27 April, 2015, 17:36
Rehab for bees.
Comment icon #10 Posted by bubblykiss on 27 April, 2015, 17:49
Rehab for bees. I have just the person to fix these bees addiction problem, Excel Excel codename Excel.
Comment icon #11 Posted by johnny blue eyes on 27 April, 2015, 18:58
This song just about says it all. https://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fthisgreatexplosivetrash%2Fwheres-all-the-bees%3Futm_source%3Dsoundcloud%26utm_campaign%3Dshare%26utm_medium%3Dfacebook&h=-AQHdG_fO&enc=AZODhq5agH4tLZc5dXwaSCJdWUNk1TCpbKGODRmO2O4FBGwibQkv2956TA39HxuPPRyH8wsc0eXYxRS7Rw-emGbO&s=1
Comment icon #12 Posted by Sundew on 27 April, 2015, 20:18
I know excactly what your talking about. I have an old racquetball racket on my porch, it's the perfect anti-insect weapon. Yep when people ask me if I like B-ball, we may not be talking about the same sport!
Comment icon #13 Posted by DieChecker on 27 April, 2015, 20:26
Maybe scientists can develop a tiny little Patch that they poor bugs can use to help get over their addiction. Getting those pin tip sized patches onto each bee is the beekeepers issue.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Silver Surfer on 28 April, 2015, 4:31
Its happening! The green brain will soon be here to take over! ALL GLORY TO THE GREEN BRAIN!
Comment icon #15 Posted by BeastieRunner on 28 April, 2015, 16:16
This is fairly depressing. Humanity's defining characteristic is getting other species hooked on drugs that will kill you.

Undersea 'Mordor' found off coast of Australia
1-20-2018
The 'Tolkienesque' landscape is made up of 26 underwater volcanoes buried beneath seabed sediment.
'Brother mummies' had different fathers
1-20-2018
Scientists have finally solved the mystery of the relationship between two 4,000-year-old mummies.
Saturn's moon Titan has its own sea level
1-19-2018
Just like the oceans here on Earth, Titan's hydrocarbon seas and lakes lie at an average elevation.
'Haunted' painting has sold in New Zealand
1-19-2018
An acrylic painting purchased from an antique store has earned itself something of a haunted reputation.
Brian Cox talks to Buzz Aldrin
Posted 1-18-2018 | 1 comment
Professor Brian Cox discusses space travel with legendary astronaut Buzz Aldrin.

Typing vs handwriting
Posted 1-16-2018 | 2 comments
Is typing on a computer better or worse for your memory then writing on paper ?

Can coding help avoid job automation ?
Posted 1-12-2018 | 0 comments
Taking up coding and technical skills to avoid automation may be counter-productive.

Dinosaur death match
Posted 1-8-2018 | 0 comments
A look at how various dinosaurs might have fared against the predators of their day.

Best records of 2017
Posted 1-4-2018 | 0 comments
A look back at some of the most bizarre and amazing world records of the last year.

Strange feeling
1-18-2018 | Different places

Unexplained voices
1-18-2018 | United States

First college apartment
12-31-2017 | Daytona Beach, FL

The night my niece was murdered
12-19-2017 | Delhi, Louisiana

Mysterious Headlights
12-10-2017 | Morgan County, Alabama

Possibly a child ghost
12-10-2017 | Edgewater, Maryland

True story about black-eyed kids
12-10-2017 | Portland oregon

Alien or paranormal encounter ?
12-10-2017 | United States