Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Researchers develop dog bark translator

Posted on Sunday, 31 May, 2015 | Comment icon 20 comments

Could a computer enable you to better understand your dog ? Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 leisergu
New computer software is promising to make it possible to translate the meaning behind dog barks.
Scientists from the Technical University of Madrid and Eotvos Lorand University in Budapest have come up with a system that can allegedly determine the meaning behind a dog's barking by analyzing the volume, length and pitch of each individual bark.

The software uses a complex set of algorithms to determine not only what the dog is thinking but also its age and gender too based on nothing more than the sound coming out of its mouth.

To develop the program the team analyzed 800 barks from several dogs placed in a number of different scenarios ranging from encountering a stranger to being tied to a tree by its owner.
The researchers determined, among multiple acoustic cues, that a scared dog will bark more rapidly and at a higher pitch while a dog experiencing loneliness will bark more slowly.

When a dog encounters a stranger its bark will be distinctly deep, fast and harsh.

Whether or not a consumer translation device based on this technology is likely to ever be made available to purchase in shops however remains to be seen.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (20)

Tags: Dog, Bark

Comment icon #11 Posted by pallidin on 1 June, 2015, 4:31
I think that it's just a device that just keeps repeating, "I wan't steak!" I figured it would be bacon. Yeah, and for our dog apparently it's chicken... her fave I guess.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Athena1979 on 1 June, 2015, 7:45
Mine would repeat, "hey, hey, there's someone outside! There they are. They're walking by now. They're walking away now. They're a long ways away now. Hey, hey, hey!"
Comment icon #13 Posted by godnodog on 1 June, 2015, 9:33
wasn´t his old news? I remember reading about this a couple of years ago
Comment icon #14 Posted by Razer on 1 June, 2015, 10:00
"It is thought that the new software could prove to be particularly beneficial to vets and animal shelters as it can be used to help recognize behavioral problems in dogs such an separation anxiety." I would think vets and people that work at animal shelters would have enough exposure working with dogs, that something like this would not really help. Anyone that has ever had a dog already knows that they are very good at telling you what they want or need and often it has nothing to do with their bark but more their body language. As far as helping to recognize separation anxiety, any dog that... [More]
Comment icon #15 Posted by paperdyer on 1 June, 2015, 15:39
I can see how this could help people understand a dog's bark when they don't know the dog (the example of the shelter they used in the article). However, like Lilly says, I am very fluent when it comes to my own two dogs barks. Cool stuff. Yes, but we'll need an app for I-Phones and Droids. My current dog is more or a tail wager to get her point across, at least with my wife and me. The faster the tail wag, the more urgent the request. If she starts to play-fight with you then head for the dog in a hurry!
Comment icon #16 Posted by third_eye on 1 June, 2015, 18:31
Well , better hope the dogs learns what it really means when daddy says 'Don't tell mommy'
Comment icon #17 Posted by travelnjones on 1 June, 2015, 18:34
This is not going to help me I need to translate Human to Bark, so i can tell my Anatolian to stop going to the bathroom in our living room.
Comment icon #18 Posted by spootyheads on 1 June, 2015, 19:26
Ditto travelnjones, my 15 year old black lab, doesn't speak much anymore, but makes messes in the house, but it might be nice to know what my puppy is saying, but I don't care. If anyone wants to continue this...
Comment icon #19 Posted by BeastieRunner on 1 June, 2015, 20:51
I thought most canine "language" was olfactory and visual anyway? Some auditory but not the predominant form of communication.
Comment icon #20 Posted by HollandSmith on 2 June, 2015, 2:22
My dog would probably say "I'm just barking at 3 am, why the hell do you care? Go back to sleep human."

191279

Dogs are able to tell when someone is lying
7-28-2021
A new study has indicated that our canine companions can often tell whether or not someone is telling the truth.
84-year-old German had WW2 tank in his cellar
7-27-2021
Lawyers are currently negotiating penalties for a German man who was storing 'weapons of war' in his cellar.
37-year-old wakes up believing that he's 16
7-27-2021
Daniel Porter got the fright of his life when he woke up one day having forgotten 21 years of his life.
Brainless blob can think and make decisions
7-26-2021
Scientists have observed a type of slime mold that is surprisingly brainy given its total lack of a brain.
Mystery 'troll' captured on camera
4-24-2021 | Marsta, Sweden

My Grandfather's NDE
4-24-2021 | Oakland, California

The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball