Monday, June 24, 2019

Some people age 3 times faster than others

Posted on Tuesday, 7 July, 2015 | Comment icon 19 comments

Not everyone appears to age at the same rate. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Steven Depolo
Scientists have discovered that a person's biological age and chronological age can be vastly different.
It would seem to stand to reason that two healthy 30-year-olds will exhibit similar physical and cognitive capabilities, yet according to new research it is possible for some people to age much faster than others regardless of how long they've been alive.

The discovery was made following a US study of 38-year-olds which looked at a number of health indicators including heart health, cholesterol levels and lung function.

While most of the group's biological and chronological ages turned out to be more or less the same, for a small number there were stark differences. Some of the volunteers appeared to have aged up to three times more in the same amount of time while others had barely even aged at all.

"We set out to measure ageing in these relatively young people," said lead scientist Dr Dan Belsky.

"Most studies of ageing look at seniors, but if we want to be able to prevent age-related disease, we’re going to have to start studying ageing in young people."

Several of the individuals who appeared to be ageing abnormally fast had reportedly experienced more difficulty undertaking physical tasks and had poorer balance and problem solving skills.

"Already, before midlife, individuals who were ageing more rapidly were less physically able, showed cognitive decline and brain ageing, self-reported worse health, and looked older," scientists wrote.

Source: News.com.au | Comments (19)

Tags: Aging, Health

Comment icon #10 Posted by Junior Chubb on 8 July, 2015, 8:29
For me this just confirms that looking younger than your years is a good trait. Its something you should look for in a partner to get those 'fountain of youth' genes into your kids. So what are the important factors that cause this? Is it genetics, or environmental conditions that cause this? IMO this is genetics, environmental conditions may play a minor role, a very minor role. The speed you age at is determined at conception before you even throw environmental conditions into the mix. I look young for my age, as my father did before me and his before him. My other half does, as does our son... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by MissJatti on 8 July, 2015, 13:43
I'm 32 years old, but I feel like 64
Comment icon #12 Posted by RabidMongoose on 8 July, 2015, 13:47
A DETAILED study of biological ageing has revealed that some individuals grow older three times faster than their birthdays suggest. For others blessed with evergreen genes or environmental influences, time literally appears to stand still. Among a group of 38-year-olds taking part in the research, biological age was found to range from 28 to 61. US scientists drew up a panel of 18 measures to determine the speed at which a person is ageing. http://www.news.com....d-1227432440653 I look real young for my age. My secret - I don't eat fruit, I can't be consuming more than 2 portions of veg a day... [More]
Comment icon #13 Posted by BeastieRunner on 8 July, 2015, 21:41
I've noticed this anecdotally with my peers, friends, and family. Makes sense really.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Infernal Gnu on 9 July, 2015, 0:02
In a just world, evil people would age 100x faster than nice people.
Comment icon #15 Posted by DieChecker on 9 July, 2015, 5:31
For me this just confirms that looking younger than your years is a good trait. Its something you should look for in a partner to get those 'fountain of youth' genes into your kids. You got to look at your partner's parents and grandparents, to see if they have the "age slowly" gene. Regardless of if your new girlfriend is 110 pounds and super hawt at 19.... if her mom is 275 pounds, with no hair and no teeth at 40, you may want to take a pass on marriage.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Michelle on 9 July, 2015, 5:48
You got to look at your partner's parents and grandparents, to see if they have the "age slowly" gene. Regardless of if your new girlfriend is 110 pounds and super hawt at 19.... if her mom is 275 pounds, with no hair and no teeth at 40, you may want to take a pass on marriage. Ain't that the truth! I could pass for 18 when I was 13 and now that I am *ahem*, round about, close to, somewhere near middle-aged people think I am younger. One of the few things I didn't mind getting from my mom.
Comment icon #17 Posted by darkzoneromana on 11 July, 2015, 13:32
My mom is in her fifties and just now got a few strands of grey hair. I am 38 and have no grey hair or wrinkles. It seems to run in our family. My 25 year old sister still gets mistaken as a teen. The problem is bad backs also run in the family. I have to bulging discs that make it so I have to use a cane. So while I look young I feel 70. Also early menopause runs in our family. It is hard to say if we run on the fast aging or slow aging side. Other than my back I don't feel old. Maybe some parts age fast and others slow in our family.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Big Jim on 13 July, 2015, 2:41
I've always said "it's not the years, it's the mileage." That seems to apply to people as well as cars. From my own personal experience I'd have to say that stress plays a big part in aging. I was perpetually boyish right into middle age. I had to grow a mustache in my 20's to keep from being mistaken for 16. At 40 I was in the best shape of my life, lean and fit and eager to exercise. But then in my 50's I was subjected to 5 years of intense, unrelenting stress and everything went south. Old injuries that I'd learned to live with suddenly became crippling. My weight nearly doubled and my knee... [More]
Comment icon #19 Posted by ShadowSot on 13 July, 2015, 2:46
I've been doing factory work since I was seven. I've always looked older than my friends, and people usually over guess my age by about ten years. Hard life wears on you.

Giant squid filmed in the Gulf of Mexico
6-23-2019
Scientists have captured footage of a huge cephalopod emerging from the gloom 750m below the surface.
Rover detects mystery methane spike on Mars
6-23-2019
NASA's long-lived Curiosity rover picked up the sudden and unexpected spike of methane on Wednesday.
Man builds pyramid using 1 million pennies
6-23-2019
Cory Nielsen spent three years putting together the impressive structure using 1,030,315 pennies.
Bear breaks into house, sleeps in closet
6-22-2019
A homeowner in Missoula County, Montana recently returned home to find a rather unwelcome guest.
Bitten by a spirit?...true story
6-15-2019 | Dallas, Tx

Bed shaking
6-15-2019 | India

Red floating lights
6-15-2019 | Canada

A night-time encounter
5-28-2019 | Missouri

UFO flies over home
5-28-2019 | Ypsilanti, Mi

Crashed UFO off Gig Harbor Wa.
5-15-2019 | Gig Harbor Wa.

My enlightenment