Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Can you see a baby's face in this picture ?

Posted on Tuesday, 13 October, 2015 | Comment icon 64 comments

Can you see the face of a child in this picture ? Image Credit: University of Cambridge
Scientists have come up with a novel new way to determine whether someone is prone to hallucinations.
At first glance the black and white image may seem like nothing more than a random assortment of shapes, but if you stare at it long enough you may start to see the outline of a small child's face.

According to scientists at the Universities of Cardiff and Cambridge, the picture is able to test how good someone's brain is at predicting what it thinks should be there by filling in the missing gaps.

"Vision is a constructive process Ė in other words, our brain makes up the world that we 'see'," said Dr Christoph Teufel from the School of Psychology at Cardiff University.

"It fills in the blanks, ignoring the things that donít quite fit, and presents to us an image of the world that has been edited and made to fit with what we expect."

If you haven't been able to see the child in the picture yet, the original photograph on which the black and white image is based can be viewed by scrolling down the page - here.

"Having a predictive brain is very useful Ė it makes us efficient and adept at creating a coherent picture of an ambiguous and complex world," said Professor Paul Fletcher.

"But it also means that we are not very far away from perceiving things that arenít actually there, which is the definition of a hallucination."

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (64)

Tags: Hallucinations, Optical Illusion

Comment icon #55 Posted by Ashyne on 26 March, 2016, 15:19
If you see Jesus in the black-and-white picture, you are likely to be religious.
Comment icon #56 Posted by HDesiato on 7 April, 2016, 21:53
Back in my teens and early 20s, I was an art major and went to an art school using this method I came across. Simply put: I would scribble and look for compelling Images or subject matter. Art history classes showed me I was not unique in the practice. It is counted among the various modern art techniques. I see cows.
Comment icon #57 Posted by barbco196 on 7 April, 2016, 23:36
Nice. I saw the baby right away
Comment icon #58 Posted by NightScreams on 12 April, 2016, 0:16
I see an animal like thing lower right. cow head upper middle/right and upper left kind of looks like United states in a mirror at an angle...I see Alaska below the cow head.
Comment icon #59 Posted by markdohle on 14 April, 2016, 16:08
I did see it after I looked down at the baby picture.
Comment icon #60 Posted by markdohle on 14 April, 2016, 16:09
Those who can't, even after looking at the baby picture.....well....that is just sad maybe we should take up some sort of collection for them, or send them our old glasses to see if one works Bye Mark
Comment icon #61 Posted by Otto von Pickelhaube on 14 April, 2016, 16:39
I see Donald Trump!!
Comment icon #62 Posted by Mark One on 15 April, 2016, 11:47
I gave up. Couldn't discern anything worthwhile.
Comment icon #63 Posted by regeneratia on 15 April, 2016, 20:23
This black-and-white image looks random at first - but if you stare at it, you might be able to pick out a baby's face. If you look down at the photo below, the baby's face will leap right out at you. The images show how the brain 'fills in' the gaps in visual data, according to University of Cardiff and Cambridge researchers - closely related to why we hallucinate, and to psychotic symptoms. i saw cattle at first. Two of them. Then, once seeing the photo, saw the baby face.
Comment icon #64 Posted by TruthSeekingSoul on 21 April, 2016, 14:33
I didn't see any baby, but instead I saw 2 animals. One of them is smiling and the other is frowning away.

Amazon boss takes his robot dog for a walk
Tech entrepreneur Jeff Bezos attended Amazon's annual MARS conference with a very unusual companion.
World's last male northern white rhino dies
The last remaining male of the species, Sudan, was put down on Monday after several months of ill-health.
Did a mystic predict Putin's rise to power ?
During a meeting in 1979, blind mystic Baba Vanga allegedly predicted that Putin would 'rule the world'.
New study hints at 'Oumuamua's origins
Researchers believe that it is very likely that the interstellar asteroid came from a binary star system.
Monkeys learn to socialize
Posted 3-18-2018 | 0 comments
These young vervet monkeys must learn to socialize before being released in to the wild.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Michio Kaku on asteroid mining
Posted 3-13-2018 | 1 comment
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku discusses the possibility of mining asteroids in space.
Fastest people in slow motion
Posted 3-12-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the world's fastest card thrower and an amazing fast draw world champion.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA