Tuesday, June 19, 2018

1,000-year-old Viking site found in Canada

Posted on Monday, 4 April, 2016 | Comment icon 96 comments

The Vikings reached North America over a millennium ago. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Wolfmann
Archaeologists have unearthed what is only the second known Viking site ever discovered in North America.
Christopher Columbus has often been attributed with discovering America - a feat for which he has gone down in history - but in reality the continent had actually been frequented multiple times by Europeans many centuries before the Italian explorer had even been born.

Among the early seafarers to have reached North America were the Vikings who were known to have constructed a waystation at L’Anse aux Meadows in Newfoundland some 1,000 years ago.

Now archaeologists have revealed that a second Viking site has been found - this time at the peninsula of Point Rosee which is situated several hundred miles to the south.

The discovery not only cements the presence of the Vikings in North America but also suggests that they had been there a lot longer and had travelled far further inland than anyone had ever realized.

"The sagas suggest a short period of activity and a very brief and failed colonisation attempt," said archaeologist Douglas Bolender. "L’Anse aux Meadows fits well with that story but is only one site. "

"Point Rosee could reinforce that story or completely change it, if the dating is different from L’Anse aux Meadows. We could end up with a much longer period of Norse activity in the New World."

Source: Independent | Comments (96)

Tags: Vikings, Canada

Comment icon #87 Posted by Jarocal on 10 April, 2016, 16:35
Sorry dudes I was hoping you'd paid me a finders fee. I am well aware of Heyerdahl and even have copies of the publications previously banned here for copyright issues. At the end of the day I just wanted a month long holiday in Oslo at someone else's expense...
Comment icon #88 Posted by Hanslune on 10 April, 2016, 18:43
I am well aware of Heyerdahl and even have copies of the publications previously banned here for copyright issues. At the end of the day I just wanted a month long holiday in Oslo at someone else's expense... Oslo is good for a few days only - too expensive. For a month I would suggest renting an apartment in Carcassonne France, or a treking holiday in Nepal or best yet Moorea.
Comment icon #89 Posted by Jarocal on 10 April, 2016, 20:24
Oslo is good for a few days only - too expensive. The reason I was encouraging you to foot the bill... For a month I would suggest renting an apartment in Carcassonne France, or a treking holiday in Nepal or best yet Moorea. Without offending the inhabitants of the areas you mentioned, if I take a month off of work I am spending that time in a rural location East of the Mississippi, North of the Gulf of Mexico, and South of The Mason-Dixon line. I believe there is a valid reason why God put vast oceanic boundaries between where humans evolved on Earth and the Utopian paradise that is the south... [More]
Comment icon #90 Posted by Hanslune on 10 April, 2016, 21:28
The reason I was encouraging you to foot the bill... Without offending the inhabitants of the areas you mentioned, if I take a month off of work I am spending that time in a rural location East of the Mississippi, North of the Gulf of Mexico, and South of The Mason-Dixon line. I believe there is a valid reason why God put vast oceanic boundaries between where humans evolved on Earth and the Utopian paradise that is the southern portion of the Appalachian Mountain Range in North America. I think you meant Hawaii?
Comment icon #91 Posted by jaylemurph on 10 April, 2016, 21:28
I believe there is a valid reason why God put vast oceanic boundaries between where humans evolved on Earth and the Utopian paradise that is the southern portion of the Appalachian Mountain Range in North America. ...I think so, too, but probably for the opposite reason. --Jaylemurph
Comment icon #92 Posted by Jarocal on 11 April, 2016, 12:24
...I think so, too, but probably for the opposite reason. --Jaylemurph Prolonged protection of the pristine natural paradise from the perpetual pillaging promulgated by a parasitic hominid species?
Comment icon #93 Posted by Gingitsune on 22 April, 2016, 3:37
A few days ago, live science produced a summary of three possible viking site in Canada, Point Rosee, Sop's Arm and Nanook. http://www.livescience.com/54439-three-possible-viking-outposts-discovered.html The Sop's Arm's pits are new to me, anyone heard of it?
Comment icon #94 Posted by Gingitsune on 25 April, 2016, 23:18
So articles about Sop's Arm, since no one seems to know anything about it: http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=62146&latest=1 More analysis for the site, which warn that nothing viking was found associated so far with the site and no dating of the pit were made so far: http://www.heathenhof.com/vikings-in-the-new-world/ Sop's Arm seems to be very, very speculative at the moment, for all we know it could be made by Beothuks in the 13 century, Basque whaling fishermen in the 16th century or by locals in the Victorian Era...
Comment icon #95 Posted by Gingitsune on 26 April, 2016, 2:36
I have a 30 pages long article about Sop's Arm's pits and why they could be relevant, maybe. ABSTRACT. Two interwoven topics are dealt with, firstly a new interpretation of the Icelandic Sagas and historical written sources on the Viking age voyages to North America, leading to a theory on the location of Vínland, and secondly an archaeological survey of deer hunting pitfalls in Newfoundland, which were possibly dug by the Nordic voyagers a millenium ago. According to the theory of the article, Vínland is the modern day Newfoundland, and the Straumfjord of the sagas, where Thorfinn Karlsefni a... [More]
Comment icon #96 Posted by Swede on 9 March, 2018, 15:13
Some interesting new research: https://www.livescience.com/61937-lost-viking-settlement-search.html .

'Dead' man interrupts his own wake in Paraguay
6-19-2018
The 20-year-old returned home after three days away to find that his family was mourning his death.
Climbers turn Mt Everest in to a rubbish dump
6-19-2018
The world-famous mountain has ended up covered in discarded rubbish thanks to careless climbing parties.
Trump orders creation of a US 'space force'
6-19-2018
This brand new branch of the US military will aim to establish American dominance in outer space.
Are black holes actually colliding wormholes?
6-18-2018
Scientists have put forward the possibility that what we think of as a black hole may be something else entirely.
Hermit crab finds a new home
Posted 6-18-2018 | 0 comments
Hermit crabs on this tropical island have been experiencing something of a housing shortage.

Throwing water at -52 below zero
Posted 6-10-2018 | 1 comment
What happens when you throw hot water in to the air in extreme freezing temperatures ?

Man was bitten by snakes 200 times
Posted 6-6-2018 | 0 comments
Despite being bitten so many times, 'snakeman' Bill Haast lived to be over 100 years old.

Catching an octopus
Posted 6-4-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson goes in search of an octopus in the tidal pools of South Africa.

The mystery of Tic-Tac bouncing
Posted 5-29-2018 | 0 comments
How is it that Tic-Tacs can bounce higher on the second bounce than on the first ?

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA