Sunday, January 21, 2018

Man filmed struggling against 109mph winds

Posted on Wednesday, 18 May, 2016 | Comment icon 8 comments

Even standing up is easier said than done. Image Credit: YouTube / Mount Washington Observatory
A new viral video shows a worker at Mount Washington Observatory being blown around by an extreme gale.
Situated on the tallest peak in the Northeastern United States, this high-altitude weather station is famous for experiencing some of the highest wind speeds ever recorded.

On April 12, 1934, researchers managed to record gusts of up to 231mph - a world record that would endure for most of the 20th century. Even today, wind speeds this high remain unheard of outside of tropical cyclones and other extreme weather phenomena.

Now in a new video, weather Observers Mike Dorfman and Tom Padham managed to capture on film what it is like to walk around in 109mph winds - less than half those of the world record.

The result is both breathtaking and hilarious as one of the pair can be seen struggling to even stay upright and ends up being blown off his feet on more than one occasion.

The video, which has been viewed over 160,000 times, can be viewed below.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (8)

Tags: Mount Washington Observatory, Wind

Comment icon #1 Posted by tcgram on 17 May, 2016, 15:47
Wow. I would not be brave enough to try it.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Eldorado on 18 May, 2016, 11:59
Been dying to try that since I was a little boy. (A little boy who's school parka was a cape and who was Superman. )
Comment icon #3 Posted by Still Waters on 18 May, 2016, 12:40
(A little boy who's school parka was a cape and who was Superman. ) This reminds me of something that happened on Mount Snowdon. We'd reached the top and were sitting down resting while admiring the view and I had my parka beside me, then all of a sudden this gust of wind blew up and took my parka with it. All we could do was just sit there watching it blowing away Good job it wasn't raining that day.
Comment icon #4 Posted by highdesert50 on 18 May, 2016, 13:26
I recall as a young man hiking in those White Mountains and needing to rope with two other people just to get below tree line when the winds came up rather unexpectedly. I can only wonder what frostbite times must be when the winds have exceeded 200mph on Mt Washington.
Comment icon #5 Posted by GreenmansGod on 18 May, 2016, 14:14
Living in a Hurricane zone, it is not the 100 mph wind that scares me, it is the 100 mph 2x4s that slams into you.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Hammerclaw on 18 May, 2016, 14:51
You could fly a Nun in that kind of wind.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Princess Serenity on 18 May, 2016, 18:56
I would have to have some weights attached to my feet. I would blow away because I'm so weightless.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Hawkin on 28 May, 2016, 17:20
Now I know where the meaning, Blown Away came from.

Undersea 'Mordor' found off coast of Australia
1-20-2018
The 'Tolkienesque' landscape is made up of 26 underwater volcanoes buried beneath seabed sediment.
'Brother mummies' had different fathers
1-20-2018
Scientists have finally solved the mystery of the relationship between two 4,000-year-old mummies.
Saturn's moon Titan has its own sea level
1-19-2018
Just like the oceans here on Earth, Titan's hydrocarbon seas and lakes lie at an average elevation.
'Haunted' painting has sold in New Zealand
1-19-2018
An acrylic painting purchased from an antique store has earned itself something of a haunted reputation.
Brian Cox talks to Buzz Aldrin
Posted 1-18-2018 | 1 comment
Professor Brian Cox discusses space travel with legendary astronaut Buzz Aldrin.

Typing vs handwriting
Posted 1-16-2018 | 2 comments
Is typing on a computer better or worse for your memory then writing on paper ?

Can coding help avoid job automation ?
Posted 1-12-2018 | 0 comments
Taking up coding and technical skills to avoid automation may be counter-productive.

Strange feeling
1-18-2018 | Different places

Unexplained voices
1-18-2018 | United States

First college apartment
12-31-2017 | Daytona Beach, FL

The night my niece was murdered
12-19-2017 | Delhi, Louisiana

Mysterious Headlights
12-10-2017 | Morgan County, Alabama

Possibly a child ghost
12-10-2017 | Edgewater, Maryland

True story about black-eyed kids
12-10-2017 | Portland oregon

Alien or paranormal encounter ?
12-10-2017 | United States