Friday, August 19, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Bizarre > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Bizarre

Woman is stalked by a wolf for over 12 hours

June 18, 2016 | Comment icon 22 comments

Barnaby was stranded in the wilds with a wolf in close pursuit. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Angell Williams
Joanne Barnaby had been picking mushrooms when she encountered a deadly and persistent adversary.
It had been an otherwise uneventful excursion to the remote Canadian wilderness when Barnaby, who had been accompanied by her dog Joey, turned to see a black wolf growling at her menacingly.

Taking flight, she and her faithful canine companion headed through the forest in an attempt to escape the animal only to find that it had started following them wherever they went.

The chase would ultimately continue for more than 12 hours with Barnaby becoming increasingly lost in the wilderness as she tried desperately to shake off the wolf as it continued to stalk her.
The shadow of night did little to dissuade her pursuer and her plight soon transformed in to a deadly game of cat and mouse as the wolf tried its best to separate her from her dog as they fled.

Eventually as the first rays of morning crept across the sky and exhausted to the point of collapse, Barnaby heard the sound of a mother bear calling for its cub somewhere nearby.

Thinking fast, she decided to position herself between the mother and its cub in the hope that the bear would scare the wolf away - a plan which could have easily seen her attacked instead.

Luckily her gamble paid off and the bear went for the wolf, allowing Barnaby a chance to escape.

She was later picked up by a rescue team and is expected to make a full recovery.

Source: TheStar.com | Comments (22)

Comment icon #13 Posted by Hawkin 6 years ago
This would make a great movie.
Comment icon #14 Posted by paperdyer 6 years ago
Maybe the wolf thought his cousin, the dog, had first dibs and the wolf was just awaiting his turn at dinner.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Clair 6 years ago
Okay I'm going to be really honest, but I felt sorriest for the wolf. It did not make me happy to know it was so hungry.
Comment icon #16 Posted by TripGun 6 years ago
Once more into the fray, Into the last good fight I’ll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day.
Comment icon #17 Posted by JimmyKrajeski 6 years ago
Purple prose, terrible writing. Really doubt this story is true. Why wander farther into the woods? Why not back to civilization where the wolf will be less reluctant to follow? Also, wolves hunt in packs. What kind of dog was Joey? A Yorkie? A pit bull? My crap detector is going off big time on this 1943 piece of click bait.
Comment icon #18 Posted by jules99 6 years ago
It'd be funny if the bear had sought out the woman for protection.... http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/06/brown-bear-human-shield-mothers-cubs-breeding/
Comment icon #19 Posted by mysticwerewolf 6 years ago
I have been surrounded by wolves and all they did was stare at me and eventually walk away.  I have a hard time believing that the wolf was after her. it most likely was after the canine she was with, wild canines will kill and eat domestic ones if they can.
Comment icon #20 Posted by zeek wulfe 6 years ago
I do not believe there has ever been a credible case where a human has been attacked by a wolf.  Coyotes and children in places like Arizona and SoCal, but in wilder areas and by honest to god wolves, no. And here I'm a wolf myself.  My picture for this post is a dire wolf recreated at the Paige Museum in Los Angeles at the tar pits on Wilshire blvd.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Ozfactor 6 years ago
couldn't she have climbed a tree or did she not want to have her pet dog killed so she stuck by the dog as much as the dog stuck by her ?
Comment icon #22 Posted by Ozfactor 6 years ago
I caught the bus to the tar pits once, I went on the first Tuesday of the month, when it is free . I had read about it as a child and it was a bit of magic for me to actually be there seeing the pits and the museum . My favourite part was the pits and seeing the photos of the  original little humpy shack that the original owners built and then seeing the mansion they built with the money from oil .

Total Posts: 7,315,453    Topics: 301,020    Members: 198,033