Friday, April 26, 2019

Two new video clips show alleged thylacines

Posted on Saturday, 3 December, 2016 | Comment icon 55 comments

The footage can be viewed below. Image Credit: YouTube / Thylacine Awareness Group of Australia
The Thylacine Awareness Group of Australia has released two new clips recorded using a trail camera.
The group, which believes that the thylacine ( or Tasmianian tiger ) continues to survive to this day despite being officially declared extinct in the 1980s, has released several videos over the last few months showing what some people believe to be evidence that the species is alive and well.

This latest footage, which contains two separate clips, was recorded on a trail camera near Busselton, Western Australia back in 2013.

The video shows a fox-like animal trotting along past the camera in two different directions.

The group's founder, Neil Waters, claims that he himself witnessed a thylacine on two separate occasions outside his home in Tasmania as recently as 2010 and 2014.

While he admits that the footage is inconclusive, it does add to the growing body of evidence suggesting that the Tasmanian Tiger may continue to roam the wilds of Australia.

Until a tangible, physical specimen is found however it will be impossible to know for sure.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (55)

Tags: Thylacine, Tasmanian Tiger

Comment icon #46 Posted by Mr.United_Nations on 6 December, 2016, 9:20
But you dont go parading around its a a cryptid when you know its a racoon.
Comment icon #47 Posted by Eye of Giza on 6 December, 2016, 12:54
This is the funniest video Ive seen. As a Tasmanian living in Western Australia to me it looks like a fox. looking at the tail it looks bushy. I dont think we have any wild racoons here in australia. Im sure the Tasmania Tiger might be out there in Tasmanias wilderness or somewhere and in Victoria but thats about it.
Comment icon #48 Posted by coolguy on 10 December, 2016, 3:12
Thats a cool raccoon
Comment icon #49 Posted by DieChecker on 10 December, 2016, 7:36
I have a trail cam that unfortunately I don't know how to set very good, and it often gets just the butt end of passing deer and such. Often takes a good pic of the second deer in line however.
Comment icon #50 Posted by DieChecker on 10 December, 2016, 7:37
I'd tend to agree that these videos are too blurry to conclusively say what they animals shown are. Could easily be a fox, or injured dog.
Comment icon #51 Posted by oldrover on 10 December, 2016, 12:09
They're definitely clear enough to rule out a thylacine though. The first one (left) is obviously a dog, probably an Alsatian or Alsatian cross. You can see the tail clearly. The second is unmistakably a fox, you can even see the white tip to the end of its tail.  They're poor quality and fleeting, a bit like every photo I've ever taken, even of inanimate objects, but they're clear enough to definitely identify both subjects as canids.
Comment icon #52 Posted by DieChecker on 10 December, 2016, 12:44
That's all true, but do you really think those identifications are conclusive? They are very good guesses, but still guesses.
Comment icon #53 Posted by oldrover on 10 December, 2016, 20:00
  I always think I'm going to keep this short but... These aren't guesses I'm afraid. In terms of neither being a thylacine I'm a 100%, I really would stake my life on it. Although that's probably me being a bit dramatic, but seriously I'm that sure. There are really clear cues in both those animals that they're both canids and as I say, are 100% not tigers. Here's why. First thing to do is recall what a tiger really looked like, and why Waters & co claim their animals don't fit this deion, by  addressing the claims they've made about there being a mainland sub-species. Firstly, and focusi... [More]
Comment icon #54 Posted by DieChecker on 11 December, 2016, 15:30
After all that I think you misunderstood me. I'm agreeing they are not thylacines. I meant to question how sure your identification of the two creatures as an Alsatian and a fox. Like you just said, "realistically the video isn't clear enough to tell", and "but not with enough clarity to go on about it".
Comment icon #55 Posted by oldrover on 11 December, 2016, 15:51
I see, sorry. Well the first one for the reasons above. The second is because it is obviously a fox. I can't see any ambiguity there at all.  It's the fox shaped head body and tail supported by four fox shaped legs that's the clincher for me really.

The universe is expanding faster than it should
4-26-2019
A new study has highlighted the fact that there is still much we don't know about the expansion of the cosmos.
Dinosaur fossils shaped sea monster stories
4-26-2019
A new study has highlighted the role that fossils have played in influencing sightings of sea monsters.
New brain implant turns thoughts in to speech
4-25-2019
An intriguing new mind-reading device could prove invaluable for people who have lost the ability to speak.
4-25-2019
This peculiar photograph shows a room filled with an assortment of totally unrecognizable things.
Cannon made from 50,000 matches
Posted 4-7-2019 | 4 comments
What happens if you light a cannon made out of 50,000 matches ?

Latin America's most dangerous snake
Posted 3-24-2019 | 1 comment
Coyote Peterson comes face to face with an extremely dangerous reptile.

Squaring a doughnut
Posted 3-12-2019 | 1 comment
Michael returns with another mind-bending problem - this time concerning squares.

Shells of cosmic time
Posted 3-3-2019 | 0 comments
A look at how observations of distant objects enable us to see back in time.

Thailand's snake village
Posted 2-26-2019 | 2 comments
Steve Backshall visits a village where the inhabitants live alongside dangerous snakes.

Giant bird shadows