Thursday, August 18, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Space & Astronomy > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Space & Astronomy

Legendary astronaut John Glenn dies aged 95

December 9, 2016 | Comment icon 16 comments

Glenn was an aviator, an engineer, an astronaut and a US Senator. Image Credit: NASA
Glenn became a national hero back in 1962 when he became the first American ever to orbit the Earth.
Born in 1921 in eastern Ohio, Glenn's passion for flying manifested at an early age via his childhood obsession with airplanes. He earned his private pilot's license in 1941 during his time studying physics and engineering at Muskingum College.

Later becoming an officer in the United States Marine Corps, Glenn became a test pilot and was recruited by NASA as one of the legendary 'Mercury Seven' - America's first astronauts.

In 1962 he flew the Friendship 7 mission which saw him become the first American to orbit the planet and the fifth person in space. In 1978 he received the Congressional Space Medal of Honor and was also inducted in to the US Astronaut Hall of Fame in 1990.
Despite pursuing a change of career and serving as a United States senator for Ohio for many years, Glenn would return to space one last time when in 1998 he flew aboard the space shuttle Discovery - a mission that would see him become the oldest human being ever to go in to space.

"It still seems so vivid to me," he said back in 2012 when asked about his 1962 flight. "I still can sort of pseudo-feel some of those same sensations I had back in those days during launch and all."

Glenn died on Thursday afternoon at the James cancer hospital in Columbus. He was 95.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (16)

Comment icon #7 Posted by Hyades 6 years ago
Rest in peace John Glen, you made a large contribution to Space Development, be with God and angels now.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Ashotep 6 years ago
First American to orbit the planet, one of many of his accomplishments.  Now all of the Mercury 7 astronauts are gone. RIP John Glenn
Comment icon #9 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf 6 years ago
Another of my heroes has slipped the surly bonds of Earth.   John Gillespie Magee, Jr said it far more eloquently than I ever could:
Comment icon #10 Posted by Merc14 6 years ago
Glenn was a courageous man, a true leader and a great combat pilot.  One of my favorite speeches from Glenn was his rebuttal of Howard Metzenbaum's accusation that he had never held a real job: Howard Metzenbaum to John Glenn: Metzenbaum: "How can you run for Senate when you've never held a 'job'?" Glenn: "I served 23 years in the United States Marine Corps. I was through two wars. I flew 149 missions. My plane was hit by anti-aircraft fire on 12 different occasions. "I was in the space program. It wasn't my checkbook, it was my life that was on the line. This was not a 9-to-5 job where I took... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by South Alabam 6 years ago
Astronaut, pioneer, legend. Salute
Comment icon #12 Posted by Calibeliever 6 years ago
God speed sir, and thank you for your service to us all.
Comment icon #13 Posted by oldrover 6 years ago
Sorry to hear this.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Grandpa Greenman 6 years ago
Hail and Farewell, Sen Glenn, Journey well.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Codenwarra 6 years ago
Vale John Glenn
Comment icon #16 Posted by DONTEATUS 6 years ago
He was what Helped many Dreams come true ! WHat a Man and ,History ! Happy New YEar Y`all All ! Yuo too Waspie !

Total Posts: 7,315,090    Topics: 300,995    Members: 198,029