Sunday, April 22, 2018

Legendary astronaut John Glenn dies aged 95

Posted on Friday, 9 December, 2016 | Comment icon 17 comments

Glenn was an aviator, an engineer, an astronaut and a US Senator. Image Credit: NASA
Glenn became a national hero back in 1962 when he became the first American ever to orbit the Earth.
Born in 1921 in eastern Ohio, Glenn's passion for flying manifested at an early age via his childhood obsession with airplanes. He earned his private pilot's license in 1941 during his time studying physics and engineering at Muskingum College.

Later becoming an officer in the United States Marine Corps, Glenn became a test pilot and was recruited by NASA as one of the legendary 'Mercury Seven' - America's first astronauts.

In 1962 he flew the Friendship 7 mission which saw him become the first American to orbit the planet and the fifth person in space. In 1978 he received the Congressional Space Medal of Honor and was also inducted in to the US Astronaut Hall of Fame in 1990.

Despite pursuing a change of career and serving as a United States senator for Ohio for many years, Glenn would return to space one last time when in 1998 he flew aboard the space shuttle Discovery - a mission that would see him become the oldest human being ever to go in to space.

"It still seems so vivid to me," he said back in 2012 when asked about his 1962 flight. "I still can sort of pseudo-feel some of those same sensations I had back in those days during launch and all."

Glenn died on Thursday afternoon at the James cancer hospital in Columbus. He was 95.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (17)

Tags: John Glenn

Comment icon #8 Posted by Ashotep on 9 December, 2016, 0:11
First American to orbit the planet, one of many of his accomplishments.  Now all of the Mercury 7 astronauts are gone. RIP John Glenn
Comment icon #9 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 9 December, 2016, 1:09
Another of my heroes has slipped the surly bonds of Earth.   John Gillespie Magee, Jr said it far more eloquently than I ever could:
Comment icon #10 Posted by Merc14 on 9 December, 2016, 14:34
Glenn was a courageous man, a true leader and a great combat pilot.  One of my favorite speeches from Glenn was his rebuttal of Howard Metzenbaum's accusation that he had never held a real job: Howard Metzenbaum to John Glenn: Metzenbaum: "How can you run for Senate when you've never held a 'job'?" Glenn: "I served 23 years in the United States Marine Corps. I was through two wars. I flew 149 missions. My plane was hit by anti-aircraft fire on 12 different occasions. "I was in the space program. It wasn't my checkbook, it was my life that was on the line. This was not a 9-to-5 job where I took... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by South Alabam on 9 December, 2016, 16:03
Astronaut, pioneer, legend. Salute
Comment icon #12 Posted by Calibeliever on 9 December, 2016, 19:46
God speed sir, and thank you for your service to us all.
Comment icon #13 Posted by oldrover on 9 December, 2016, 20:55
Sorry to hear this.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Grandpa Greenman on 9 December, 2016, 21:26
Hail and Farewell, Sen Glenn, Journey well.
Comment icon #15 Posted by seanjo on 15 December, 2016, 3:45
God speed John Glenn
Comment icon #16 Posted by Codenwarra on 16 December, 2016, 15:04
Vale John Glenn
Comment icon #17 Posted by DONTEATUS on 3 January, 2017, 3:29
He was what Helped many Dreams come true ! WHat a Man and ,History ! Happy New YEar Y`all All ! Yuo too Waspie !

Work on lunar space station to begin in 2019
4-21-2018
NASA has revealed that its ambitious Lunar Orbital Platform-Gateway will launch as early as 2022.
Cows could end up as world's largest mammals
4-21-2018
Scientists have warned that cows could eventually become the largest remaining mammals on Earth.
New species of 'exploding ant' discovered
4-20-2018
Capable of taking drastic action to protect their colonies, these ants have a rather unusual defense mechanism.
Missing Nazi submarine mystery finally solved
4-20-2018
The wreckage of one of Germany's most advanced U-boats has been discovered off the coast of Denmark.
Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

The world's roundest object
Posted 4-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at how the roundest object can help us to define the humble kilogram.

Do fish talk to each other ?
Posted 4-10-2018 | 11 comments
Fish might seem silent, but in actual fact they make a wide range of different sounds.

The great Jaffa Cake debate
Posted 4-8-2018 | 4 comments
Revisiting the age-old question - is the humble Jaffa Cake a cake or a biscuit ?

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA