Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Great dane is crowned world's tallest dog

Posted on Saturday, 31 December, 2016 | Comment icon 10 comments
Despite starting out as the runt of the litter, four-year-old Freddy has grown to be 40.75 inches tall.
The massive dog's owner, Claire Stoneman, is absolutely besotted with the gentle giant who manages to get through 1kg of beef, 250g of steak and 300 grams of liver on a daily basis.

The grocery bill for both Freddy and his sister Fleur every year is in excess of £10,000.

Now officially recognized by Guinness World Records as the tallest dog on the planet, Freddy is almost as tall as Zeus, another great dane who at 44 inches was the tallest dog that ever lived.

"I got him a couple of weeks earlier than I should have done because he wasn't feeding off mum, so he was pretty poorly," said Claire.

"He was half the size of Fleur when he was tiny so I had no idea he was going to be this big at all."

Source: Huffington Post | Comments (10)

Tags: Great Dane, Freddy

Comment icon #1 Posted by ChaosRose on 31 December, 2016, 20:13
That's a lotta bark for your buck.
Comment icon #2 Posted by SgtTechHead on 1 January, 2017, 5:17
  That's a lot of bucks for the bark! Holly cow! 10K pounds a year in food...
Comment icon #3 Posted by brlesq1 on 1 January, 2017, 10:29
I have a Great Dane. She's nowhere near as big as Freddy, but hey, she's still a Dane. They are some of the best dogs on the planet. Sure, they eat a lot, but what they give you in return is priceless. Not to mention scaring the h*** out of anyone who might be thinking of robbing your house...
Comment icon #4 Posted by Farmer77 on 1 January, 2017, 10:35
How are their puppy days? Ive always been an American Bulldog guy  but as my current male ages  I don't know if I can bring myself to go through two years of puppyhood again. Hes the best dog ive ever met but those two years are just hell.  Are danes the same way?
Comment icon #5 Posted by brlesq1 on 1 January, 2017, 10:52

Comment icon #6 Posted by brlesq1 on 1 January, 2017, 10:53
They're all different, of course. My first Dane wasn't so bad. She was pretty smart, so she caught on really fast that she was 1) supposed to go outside, and 2) to let me know. She wasn't a chewer, so my house remained intact. But I didn't want to go through puppyhood again, so I rescued a Dane. My current one, Daisy, I got when she was three, just out of puppyhood. So I didn't have to go through all that. If you're really into American Bulldogs, check on the web to see if they have a rescue organization. I'm sure they do.
Comment icon #7 Posted by seaturtlehorsesnake on 1 January, 2017, 19:48
i welcome our new king, and may his reign be long and glorious.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Farmer77 on 1 January, 2017, 23:04
Having young kids ive always gone the puerbred puppy route but now that theyre grown the rescue thing is a really good idea.
Comment icon #9 Posted by brlesq1 on 2 January, 2017, 11:45
And there are always so many that need forever homes. Most organizations aren't just "give 'im a dog," either. To get Daisy, I had to have a thorough phone interview. Then I had a home inspection (with another interview). Then they sent me a list of dogs, and I had to pick six. I did so, and five they eliminated because they felt the temperament wasn't right for me (based on my interviews and my initial application). Finally, with Daisy the only dog left on the list, I had to drive up to her foster mom's and have a third interview, and to see how Daisy would react to me. All went well, and I s... [More]
Comment icon #10 Posted by Black Monk on 3 January, 2017, 18:31
The world's most famous Great Dane is Peter Schmeichel.

Land plants arrived much earlier than thought
2-20-2018
It is believed that plants first arose on land 100 million years earlier than previous studies had suggested.
Message in a bottle mystery sparks new hunt
2-19-2018
The son of a man who found a message in a bottle 60 years ago is now searching for the author's relatives.
Mystery of deadly Roman 'Gate to Hell' solved
2-19-2018
Scientists have determined what made the notorious Roman cave so deadly to those who ventured inside.
Hunt for Earth 2.0 yields 95 new exoplanets
2-18-2018
A renewed hunt for Earth-like worlds has yielded a haul of 95 previously undiscovered extrasolar planets.
Big Bang vs Big Bounce
Posted 2-16-2018 | 0 comments
Was there another universe here before our own universe came in to existence ?

The Leaning Tower of Lire
Posted 2-12-2018 | 0 comments
Vsauce returns with a thought-provoking video about the problem of stacking blocks.

How did the dinosaurs die ?
Posted 2-8-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the devastating events that preceded the extinction of the dinosaurs.

World's longest bicycle
Posted 2-5-2018 | 2 comments
This ridiculous bicycle measures 41.42 meters in length and took nine months to put together.

The British flying Jeep
Posted 2-3-2018 | 0 comments
The British military reportedly developed a prototype flying car all the way back in 1942.

Black hole in Bismarck
2-14-2018 | Mandan

Trapped and chased
2-9-2018 | Saskatchewan canada

Someone calling my name
2-9-2018 | Budd Lake NJ

Strange feeling
1-18-2018 | Different places

Unexplained voices
1-18-2018 | United States

First college apartment
12-31-2017 | Daytona Beach, FL

The night my niece was murdered
12-19-2017 | Delhi, Louisiana