Saturday, March 23, 2019

Cats ring bell to get food in bizarre video

Posted on Saturday, 1 April, 2017 | Comment icon 7 comments

The cats seemed to know exactly what to do. Image Credit: Twitter / b_ru_ru
The experiment saw two cats being provided with a bell that they could ring in order to receive a treat.
The footage, which has gone viral on social media, shows the felines ringing the bells over and over while a scientist continuously provides each of them with a piece of food for each successful press.

The experiment is a twist on the famous Pavlov's Dog experiment conducted in Russia in the 1890s in which a dog was conditioned to associate food with the sound of a ringing bell.

In this case though it's unclear whether the human is training the cats or if it's the other way around.

Source: Evening Times | Comments (7)

Tags: Cats, Bell

Comment icon #1 Posted by glorybebe on 1 April, 2017, 10:04
Animals are way smarter than most people believe.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Still Waters on 1 April, 2017, 10:12
 That's funny to watch, clever kitties.
Comment icon #3 Posted by fred_mc on 1 April, 2017, 10:20
I would also want to do that, being able to just ring a bell and somebody will bring me food.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Chaldon on 1 April, 2017, 13:01
Classical conditioning. I don't know why, but I feel a bit disgusted by such "funny" experiments. I understand when it's for the sake of science, but conditioning poor stupid animals so aggressively just for fun, it's simply immoral. Modern kitten food is a sort of drug by itself, when combined with aggressive conditioning I don't know what could be the results.
Comment icon #5 Posted by FLOMBIE on 2 April, 2017, 13:15
I did something similar with my last cat: Every time I fed him, I rattled my keys. So whenever he was outside, and I needed him to get inside for some reason, I rattled my keys, and he'd be shooting home like a rocket.
Comment icon #6 Posted by FLOMBIE on 2 April, 2017, 13:16
Yet, no harm is done. The cats could be enjoying it.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Ryu on 2 April, 2017, 15:25
I kinda like how the tabby starts ringing the other cats bell instead of his own. Better hide the bells or you'll be hearing them ring at three in the morning.

New report exposes 'cat cannibalism' research
3-22-2019
A disturbing new report highlights some of the unsavoury animal experiments carried out by government scientists.
45 rattlesnakes discovered under man's house
3-22-2019
A Texas man who recently crawled under his house to fix his cable found rather more than he had bargained for.
Multiple realities can exist at the same time
3-22-2019
A mind-boggling quantum physics experiment has seemingly confirmed the existence of multiple realities.
'Extinct' cougars sighted in North Carolina
3-21-2019
Several people have come forward to report cougar sightings despite the cats being extinct in the state.
Squaring a doughnut
Posted 3-12-2019 | 0 comments
Michael returns with another mind-bending problem - this time concerning squares.

Shells of cosmic time
Posted 3-3-2019 | 0 comments
A look at how observations of distant objects enable us to see back in time.

Thailand's snake village
Posted 2-26-2019 | 2 comments
Steve Backshall visits a village where the inhabitants live alongside dangerous snakes.

Winter solstice hooded figures