Monday, October 25, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Bizarre > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Bizarre

Deadly spiders emerge from bunch of bananas

May 2, 2017 | Comment icon 19 comments

Spider-infested bananas are thankfully extremely rare. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 cyclonebill
A family had to be evacuated from their home after a nest of spiders was found on a supermarket banana.
30-year-old Gemma Price from Tyne and Wear, England had started tucking in to a banana she'd bought from a local Asda supermarket when she noticed that it was covered in tiny spiders.

"I had brought a banana up to my bedroom and opened it and I think I must have broken an egg sack because hundreds of these tiny spiders went everywhere," she said.

"They landed on my arm and I just started thrashing. They went all over the bed and some on [my son] Leo's cot. I called the police and they said I should evacuate the property straight away."
Pest controllers later indicated that the arachnids were possibly Brazilian wandering spiders - a particularly nasty species capable of killing a human with a single bite.

It took more than three days to ensure that the house was safe for the family to return.

The supermarket has since stressed that finding spiders in bananas is "extremely rare".

Source: BBC News | Comments (19)

Comment icon #10 Posted by glorybebe 5 years ago
We have lots of spiders where we live. We keep tea tree oil in the house. We put it around all the doors and windows. When it is wet and cold out, we put it in water on the stove and steam the house. They really don't like the smell.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Trihalo42 5 years ago
Hide the deadly black tarantula Daylight come and me wan' go home
Comment icon #12 Posted by Sundew 5 years ago
I have to wonder with all the tropical fruit imported into Florida from South America, Mexico, Central America and so forth, if we do not already have some pretty nasty insects and spiders that are as yet undetected? We already have many established exotics in S. Florida due to the mild climate. Most studies concentrate on the larger animals: reptiles, mammals like the Gambian Rat, parrots and so forth. Take a visit to the parks in the Miami area and you can see all kinds of exotic reptiles and birds.I would suspect many insects and arachnids are already here but are either generally harmless... [More]
Comment icon #13 Posted by Not Your Huckleberry 5 years ago
You guys now have the Mexican Redrump Tarantula in South Florida, also. The only tarantula species east of the Mississippi River.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Future ghost 5 years ago
That will only break open their cocoon of doom.
Comment icon #15 Posted by clare256 5 years ago
Found spider eggs in a bunch of grapes once. I inspect my fruit a lot more carefully now.
Comment icon #16 Posted by JAKKALS911 5 years ago
Sorry, but spiders and I do NOT see eye-to-(their 8) eyes. My house is not big enough for both spider and myself, and no prizes for guessing who goes and who stays - I have a white mark on my right arm from the bite of a jumping spider many years ago, and this is just a tiny little tyke, but then we also have baboon spiders and golden orb spiders and other nasties like black widows (some may not be venomous) - I don't care a continental whether they are venomous or not - I'm terrified of all arachnids, whereas I can handle snakes - and have often caught and released them into the wild, as snak... [More]
Comment icon #17 Posted by Matt221 5 years ago
I once picked up a false black widow to have a closer look the b***** bit my arm I soon put it back down,still got a little colony in the greenhouse though they help keep the real pests down
Comment icon #18 Posted by Paranomali 5 years ago
This is what nightmares are made of. I would of burnt my house down
Comment icon #19 Posted by Princess Serenity 5 years ago
I hate spiders. *Shutters* Time to buy a new house.