Thursday, May 19, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Bizarre > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Bizarre

15 people attacked by crow at college campus

June 1, 2017 | Comment icon 16 comments

The bird has become something of a nuisance. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 R. Altenkamp
Students in Ireland have ended up under siege by a particularly violent attacker of the avian variety.
The crow, which has made itself at home somewhere in the vicinity of the Cork Institute of Technology, has so far hospitalized two people and attacked more than a dozen others.

The problem was particularly bad on Tuesday when one staff member reported being attacked by the bird in the college car park while several more, including one man who received nasty scratch wounds, became a target for the creature's wrath elsewhere on the college grounds.

The Cork Society for the Prevention of Cruelty of Animals (CSPCA) is now assessing the situation in an effort to get to the bottom of why the bird is acting so aggressively.
"A lot of students have left campus, so they might not be getting the crumbs or the bread crusts they're used to so they could be doing this to remind people, saying 'we're still here'," said a spokesman.

"They could also be nesting in the area, and one of their young might have fallen down on the ground. There are a number of different things it could be."

Students and staff have been advised to avoid the crow's territory entirely for the time being.

Source: Independent.ie | Comments (16)

Comment icon #7 Posted by OverSword 5 years ago
I've been harassed by a crow before. When I pretended I was going to throw something at him he flew away and would only yell at me from a distance after that.
Comment icon #8 Posted by EllJay 5 years ago
I read the title as; "Bizarre 'cow attacks' in Irish college", and thought it might be something like this;
Comment icon #9 Posted by Nzo 5 years ago
I had a crow brush its wing on the back of my head as I was walking. It did it two times in a row until I was far enough away from its nest I would imagine? Who knows?All I know is that I won a substantial amount of money later that week on the lottery. Been looking for that crow to do it again.
Comment icon #10 Posted by WoIverine 5 years ago
There was a crow who used to sit on my driver side mirror and admire himself daily when I parked out front. Any time we'd go outside he'd squawk at us. He dive bombed us a few times, but never any contact.
Comment icon #11 Posted by WoIverine 5 years ago
In the former U.S.S.R. it was actually an urban legend that if a flying bird pooped on anything you own (car, bike, yourself even) that money would come to you. Been a while since I heard that, not sure if they still believe though.
Comment icon #12 Posted by EBE Hybrid 5 years ago
Their is a pair of crows that frequent the local trees and rooftops. I had been taught at school that crows are carrion feeders (feeding on dead meat), so I was a little surprised to see one of these crows swooping froma roof to carry away a young sparrow that was struggling to get off the ground, the poor thing sounded terrified, the crow took it back to the roof thenkilled and ate the baby sparrow. These two corvid menaces even harass the local cats, co-ordinating their attacks so that the cat doesn't get the chance to do much more than defend itself. The crows are clearly intelligent, whi... [More]
Comment icon #13 Posted by WoIverine 5 years ago
Feathered trolls.
Comment icon #14 Posted by AnchorSteam 5 years ago
A BB-gun on a quiet early Sunday morning is really all you need. If you let enough scavengers settle into your area, sooner or later they will assume that they own the place.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Dave From Down Under 5 years ago
I had a bird once that crapped on my windscreen, and I tell ya', that's was the first and last time I invited HER out on a date . . .
Comment icon #16 Posted by WoIverine 5 years ago
Hah! You too, eh? My ex gets around apparently.

Total Posts: 7,264,747    Topics: 298,785    Members: 196,924