Wednesday, November 21, 2018

'Black panther' sighted in British woodland

Posted on Friday, 2 June, 2017 | Comment icon 29 comments

A panther is the last thing you want to encounter in the woods. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Rute Martins
Emma Adam had been out walking in woods near the town of Ashby when she encountered a large black cat.
The 29-year-old had been enjoying a stroll with her mother-in-law at dusk on Saturday, May 27 when they came across a large black creature that was feasting on something it had caught.

"It was getting late, so we decided to take a torch - there was just about enough light to walk," she said. "As we were coming along the path, I saw something lying down and I was trying to figure out what it was."

"I kept looking at it, and I realised its head was going up and down because it was eating something, ripping it apart. My mother in law and I froze, and we just walked backwards. Luckily it didn't see us."

The creature, which was the size of a Labrador, appeared thin and malnourished.

"People were saying why didn't you take a picture of it, but in that moment you are too frightened to take a picture. I always thought they would be very stocky, but this was much thinner," she said.

"I don't dare to go out on a walk in case I see it again, I was looking at the laws to see what I can do to protect myself."

Her sighting is one of dozens to have been reported across the UK over the years.

Often referred to as the alien big cat (ABC) phenomenon, the most likely explanation is that the animals have either escaped from zoos or have been illegally released by private owners.

Exactly how many of them are still out there however remains unclear.

Source: Burton Mail | Comments (29)

Tags: Alien Big Cats

Comment icon #20 Posted by freetoroam on 3 June, 2017, 0:58
This bit is not nonsense....there have been sightings of large cats here...FACT. some escaped from the local zoo and some were either let loose or escaped from collectors. I have seen a large black cat..it escaped from a collector and was wandering aroind a field. Without quoting your whole tesla thing....what had any of it got to do with big cats? Lol...looks like you suddenly started posting a piece in the wrong thread.
Comment icon #21 Posted by freetoroam on 3 June, 2017, 1:24
Just a note to those thinking no large cats have been sighted...they have. there are explanations for why...as i have posted above. remember...we are not talking silly things here lilke bigfoot or nessy or even more ridiculous claims like aliens/ aliens abductions or a creepypasta invention.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Hammerclaw on 3 June, 2017, 4:58
I'm quite open-minded about it, having read the reports of sightings made by people who handle big cats for a living.
Comment icon #23 Posted by oldrover on 3 June, 2017, 12:37
I believe that 99.9% of exotic cat sightings are mistakes. But to say these things were hever there is wrong. We have physical proof. The largest trapped specimen was a puma from Scotland in 1980, although that might have been a stunt, but there have beennumerous exotic felids recovered from the wild here. How long they'd been at large though is a different matter.
Comment icon #24 Posted by freetoroam on 3 June, 2017, 22:40
The bold is the key....there have been escaped cats, but they are caught - eventually. There have been reports of cats escaping from zoos, circuses and private collectors. And yes...some reports of big cats are by people who have mistaken what they thought they saw, especially when they are visiting an area which has been in the news before because of big cat sightings. Like the bigfoot and neesy stories, some people want to be one of the "few" who see the "beasts"....and will mistake a bear for bigfoot, a log for nessy and a wild boar for a panther.
Comment icon #25 Posted by The Silver Thong on 3 June, 2017, 22:45
A guy in a black hoodie sneaking around
Comment icon #26 Posted by HUll bloke on 3 June, 2017, 23:32
I have been visiting this site and the forums for a few years and have only become a member to put forward my bit. Almost 20 years ago I use to work on Markets and with a workmate was returning to Hull from Pickering Market (Yorkshire area for those who dont know the UK very well). Due to Road works we had to go a diffrent way back from normal and it included a diversion round the back of the Grounds of Sledemere House. Across the road about 50 yards in front off us loped a large black Cat (I say loped it just padded across the road in no real hurry). I told my boss at work and my mother and a... [More]
Comment icon #27 Posted by Black Monk on 24 June, 2017, 15:14
A panther has been spotted several times near where I live.
Comment icon #28 Posted by freetoroam on 24 June, 2017, 20:48
Will that be the Beast of Bolton?
Comment icon #29 Posted by The Silver Thong on 27 July, 2017, 18:45
Let's put out some bait food with trail cams and see what comes. I would do it but im 4000 miles away. Plus it would be fun.

Titanic captain's haunted mirror up for auction
11-20-2018
A mirror that reportedly belonged to Captain Edward John Smith is expected to fetch over $12,000.
NASA celebrates 20th anniversary of the ISS
11-20-2018
Today marks the 20th birthday of one of mankind's greatest achievements - the International Space Station.
Camel spotted on snowy road in Pennsylvania
11-20-2018
Motorists were left perplexed when they spotted the animal on the road in the middle of a snow storm.
Horror as Chicago elevator plunges 80 floors
11-19-2018
Nightmare became reality for six passengers last week when their elevator plummeted towards the ground.
The unique wildlife of the Cairngorms
Posted 11-16-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the breathtaking snowy wilds of Scotland's Cairngorm Mountains.

The last reef of the Galapagos
Posted 11-12-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the enigmatic world that lies beneath the ocean off the Galapagos Islands.

Morse code
Posted 11-7-2018 | 4 comments
Michael takes a look at an obsolete messaging system that uses dots and dashes.

The colors of autumn
Posted 10-31-2018 | 1 comment
Taking a moment to appreciate the colors and atmosphere of autumn.

Faster than a calculator
Posted 10-26-2018 | 2 comments
'Mathemagician' Arthur Benjamin shows off his amazing mathematical skills.

My name is whispered

Orange, hovering, atom-like figure
10-25-2018 | West kelowna

I saw a strange man
10-25-2018 | Croatia

Spontaneous exorcisms
10-25-2018 | Canada

Two children who didn't age
10-24-2018 | United States New York