Friday, April 20, 2018

Food tastes better when you eat at a mirror

Posted on Thursday, 15 June, 2017 | Comment icon 21 comments

Can your reflection help you eat ? Image Credit: CC BY 4.0 OpenStax Anatomy and Physiology
A new study has suggested that food might actually taste better when you can see your own reflection.
The peculiar claim comes courtesy of researchers at Nagoya University in Japan who wanted to further explore a phenomenon known as "the social facilitation of eating" which concerns the previous discovery that people enjoy food more when they eat in the company of others.

For their experiment, the scientists decided to see if eating in front of a mirror could fool the brain in to believing that another person was present, thus improving the taste of the food.

"We wanted to find out what the minimum requirement is for the social facilitation of eating," said study lead author Dr Ryuzaburo Nakata. "Does another person have to actually be physically present, or is information suggesting the presence of others sufficient ?"

The results of the experiment, which involved 16 volunteers, indicated that sitting in front of a mirror actually did improve the taste of the food by as much as 25%.

The team believes that the findings could help lonely older people eat larger helpings.

"Studies have shown that for older adults, enjoying food is associated with quality of life, and frequently eating alone is associated with depression and loss of appetite," wrote Dr Nakata.

"Our findings therefore suggest a possible approach to improving the appeal of food, and quality of life, for older people who do not have company when they eat for example, those who have suffered loss or are far away from their loved ones."

Source: Telegraph | Comments (21)

Tags: Food, Taste

Comment icon #12 Posted by paperdyer on 16 June, 2017, 15:37
Study paid for by the Mirror Consortium of Japan
Comment icon #13 Posted by The Silver Thong on 16 June, 2017, 15:47
Another odd thing people do is they take pictures of their food and post it, never got that one. 9 times of 10 I don`t even know what there eating.
Comment icon #14 Posted by glorybebe on 16 June, 2017, 16:01
The only time I take pictures of food is when I make it and want to show a friend.
Comment icon #15 Posted by The Silver Thong on 16 June, 2017, 16:03
Oh crap I`m guilty, i just realized I did that once.
Comment icon #16 Posted by glorybebe on 16 June, 2017, 16:07
I did it to show my friend my pizza and how great it turned out
Comment icon #17 Posted by OverSword on 16 June, 2017, 16:07
  Actually studies have shown that different lighting, sounds, room temperature, deive words, and many other factors all influence the way food tastes.  See post #2, just listened to an interview with the author of the book and it was much more interesting than you may think.
Comment icon #18 Posted by OverSword on 16 June, 2017, 16:13
That looks like a good pork chop man!
Comment icon #19 Posted by The Silver Thong on 16 June, 2017, 16:18
I was mad at myself because I only brought 2 and I was out there for 3 days lol I like camping alone nobody can whine about my cooking.
Comment icon #20 Posted by The Silver Thong on 16 June, 2017, 16:19
Now I want pizza dang you
Comment icon #21 Posted by Kiltedmusician on 16 June, 2017, 19:58
I could easily see this helping some people to eat less too, as they see themselves in the mirror. Lol

Mutation helps Bajau people stay underwater
4-19-2018
In a rare case of natural selection in modern humans, the free-diving Bajau people have developed a larger spleen.
NASA teases plans for nuclear power in space
4-19-2018
The space agency will be revealing new details of its 'Kilopower' system at the beginning of next month.
Did intelligent life exist on Earth before humans ?
4-19-2018
Could there have been an advanced civilization on our planet long before mankind appeared on the scene ?
Artist can draw entire cities from memory
4-18-2018
Stephen Wiltshire, who was diagnosed with autism at the age of three, is one of the world's most skilled artists.
Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

The world's roundest object
Posted 4-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at how the roundest object can help us to define the humble kilogram.

Do fish talk to each other ?
Posted 4-10-2018 | 11 comments
Fish might seem silent, but in actual fact they make a wide range of different sounds.

The great Jaffa Cake debate
Posted 4-8-2018 | 4 comments
Revisiting the age-old question - is the humble Jaffa Cake a cake or a biscuit ?

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA