Saturday, March 24, 2018

Cats were first domesticated 9,000 years ago

Posted on Monday, 19 June, 2017 | Comment icon 14 comments

Cats and humans have long lived alongside one another. Image Credit:
A major new study has revealed how cats went from wild animals to one of mankind's closest friends.
The study, which involved extracting mitochondrial DNA from 200 ancient cat remains, determined that domestication began 9,000 years ago and that cats were actually tamed not once, but twice.

"There were two taming events - one in the Near East at the beginning and one in Egypt much later," said lead researcher Eva-Maria Geigl. "And then the cat spread very efficiently all over the ancient world as a ship's cat. Both lineages are now present in modern cats."

"I would say cats chose human company, but it was a commensal relationship - it was profitable to both sides," said Dr Geigl.

A second wave of cat domestication occurred later in Egypt and the animals spread throughout Europe during the Roman era, eventually ending up all across the world.

Intriguingly, tabby cats appeared only in the Middle Ages and there is next to no evidence of selective breeding in domestic cats throughout most of their history.

"There was very little breeding and selection going on in cats up the 19th Century, in contrast with dogs," said Dr Geigl. "The cat was useful from the very beginning - it didn't have to be changed."

Today, there are thought to be between 200 and 600 million cats spread out across the globe.

Source: BBC News | Comments (14)

Tags: Cats

Comment icon #5 Posted by Claire. on 19 June, 2017, 20:40
Figures the little maniacs domesticated themselves, and took their time doing it too.
Comment icon #6 Posted by DanL on 20 June, 2017, 0:19
Horse dufers!!! Cats are never domesticated. They only act civilized once they get YOU domesticated to their wants and needs and even then they do stuff just to annoy you and mess with your head.
Comment icon #7 Posted by strunk64 on 20 June, 2017, 1:17
The article says "Scientists believe that humanity's relationship with felines began when wild cats started hanging around farms to prey on mice which were being attracted by grain stores." 9000 years ago? Thats what it sounds like anyway.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Myles on 20 June, 2017, 13:28
I've had cats around my whole life. Currently I have 3. One is 16 years old, One is mostly an outside cat and the other is a month old kitten. Personally I would have 2 at a maximum, one indoor and one outdoor. But It's just me against my wife and 2 daughters. Anyhoo, I've never seen them protect the home or persons.
Comment icon #9 Posted by rashore on 20 June, 2017, 13:55
Comment icon #10 Posted by highdesert50 on 20 June, 2017, 13:57
About as domesticated as the seamen who brought them on their journeys.
Comment icon #11 Posted by paperdyer on 20 June, 2017, 17:36
The cats figured they had a good thing going. Food when they wanted it. Attention when they wanted. All that staff and so many things to do. I love cats. I don't have one now because my Brittany thinks cats aregood for chasing only. She groups them with squirrels, birds, possums......
Comment icon #12 Posted by DanL on 21 June, 2017, 1:02
I have two little dogs and one big cat that runs things. Whoever said that dogs and cats don't get along is silly. When I brought the little kitten home my Yorkie got excited and started making milk. She raised that cat and I didn't think she was ever going to wean him. He is spoiled rotten and in general acts more like a dog than a long as he gets his way. My daughter has three big dogs and now two cats. It used to be three but the old Queen died a year ago. That cat had no claws and not many teeth but all dogs feared her. She jumped on top of a big cow dog that messed with one of he... [More]
Comment icon #13 Posted by Future ghost on 21 June, 2017, 1:14
Cats took one look at humans and realized we would make perfect servants for them.
Comment icon #14 Posted by DanL on 21 June, 2017, 3:58
Truthfully my current cat is amazingly affectionate. I think that he sees me more like a favorite pet than just a long as I get up and do what he wants in a fairly speedy fashion.

Curiosity rover celebrates 2,000 days on Mars
NASA's flagship rover has now been trundling across the surface of the Red Planet for more than five years.
Wreck of the USS Juneau found after 75 years
The World War II-era vessel went down in 1942 after being hit by Japanese torpedoes in the Pacific.
Tiangong-1 space station to crash over Easter
China's out-of-control Tiangong-1 space lab is now expected to fall to Earth over the Easter weekend.
Mystery of lioness with a mane has been solved
Researchers have finally determined why a zoo lioness has mysteriously sprouted mane-like head and neck hair.
How smart are you ?
Posted 3-23-2018 | 1 comment
Does an IQ test really offer an accurate measure of a person's intelligence ?
Posted 3-22-2018 | 1 comment
A look at words that sound alike and are spelt the same, but that have different meanings.
Monkeys learn to socialize
Posted 3-18-2018 | 0 comments
These young vervet monkeys must learn to socialize before being released in to the wild.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA