Saturday, March 24, 2018

Traces of blood found on the Shroud of Turin

Posted on Monday, 17 July, 2017 | Comment icon 61 comments

Whose blood is on the shroud ? Image Credit: CC 3.0 Mogadir
A new analysis of the world-famous relic has allegedly revealed traces of blood from a torture victim.
The mysterious Turin Shroud, which is believed by many to be the actual burial cloth of Jesus himself, has long been the subject of intense scrutiny, controversy and debate.

Now following a thorough forensic examination of the cloth, researchers in Italy claim to have discovered traces of human blood within its fibers.

Not only that, but a scientific analysis of these blood particles has suggested that the individual in question had likely been subjected to a prolonged period of physical torture before they died.

"Hence, the presence of these biological nanoparticles found during our experiments point to a violent death for the man wrapped in the Turin Shroud," said University of Padua professor Giulio Fanti.

The discovery has reignited debate over the true origins and authenticity of the shroud which for years has divided scientists and theologians alike. Some believe the relic to be a medieval forgery while others are convinced that it is genuine and that it dates back 2,000 years.

But could the presence of blood on the shroud really point to it being the actual burial cloth of Jesus ?

Given that the shroud has been moved around a lot over the centuries, even if there really is someone's blood on it, there is no guarantee that it has actually been there all along.

For all we know, the blood is from a monk or priest who handled the shroud relatively recently.

Source: Christian Post | Comments (61)

Tags: Shroud of Turin

Comment icon #52 Posted by stereologist on 21 July, 2017, 12:18
One of the problems with Fanti's work is that the material he used in the dating is of questionable origin. It seems to be from material collected by a vacuum cleaner. Not clear what he dated. Is Fanti plagued by the same invisible weave problem? Are his dating methods legitimate? He put his material into a book, not a peer reviewed journal. According to a review of Fanti's book posted here we learn [More]
Comment icon #53 Posted by DieChecker on 21 July, 2017, 12:55
So basically you're saying Fanti is a con man? That what he has done isn't really science, but done to confirm a bias?
Comment icon #54 Posted by stereologist on 21 July, 2017, 13:10
I never stated that. I never suggested that. I showed that his work has problems, big problems. I never suggested he did not do science. The links I used never suggested he did not do science. Why the con man comment? I posted that the origin of the material he used in testing is of questionable origin. I also posted that his dating methods were poor. I substantiated those statements with links showing that the material used was collected by a vacuum cleaner and sticky tape. Were these materials from the shroud, the backing, the image areas, the non-image areas, from people handling it in med... [More]
Comment icon #55 Posted by DieChecker on 21 July, 2017, 13:14
Do you have a good reference for that? That the material was determined to be consistent? What I've found is... Which doesn't necessarily suggest they checked the weave, or consistency, of the cloth. I did read somewhere that the shroud fragment was held up to see if there were any inconsistencies in the appearance, by backlighting it, and that nothing was seen to be amiss. I'm trying to find that bit again. Maybe that's what you are thinking of?
Comment icon #56 Posted by DieChecker on 21 July, 2017, 13:16
You very much seemed (to me anyway) to suggest that his findings were... uhhhh... suspect. That would seem to indicate you dismissing his findings as non-scientific and biased. Someone who is mischaracterizing their data for bias reasons could be considered a con man.
Comment icon #57 Posted by stereologist on 21 July, 2017, 13:16
The back of the shroud was also photographed and it does not show any evidence of alteration which invisible weaving does leave.
Comment icon #58 Posted by stereologist on 21 July, 2017, 13:21
Many findings in science are found to as you say "... uhhhh... suspect." That means that the methods were not adequate. That does not mean non-scientific. It certainly can lead to bias. Fanti worked with materials that may or not be shroud related. That needs to be pointed out. His dating methods are novel and unverified. that needs to be pointed out. Would we trust radiocarbon dating on its first use? Would we trust beryllium dating on its first use? Would we trust thermoluminescent dating on its first use?
Comment icon #59 Posted by DieChecker on 21 July, 2017, 13:28
Oh, I agree, to a point. I didn't mean to say Fanti had proven anything, but what had been concluded about his work. The sites I had read, I initially thought he had done another round of C-14 off certified samples, but it turns out the samples were not certified and he didn't do C-14 testing. And thus I learn more on the subject. I think calling someone a "con artist" is something I don't take as seriously as you apparently do. If the fellow misrepresented, purposefully, where the samples came from, and how he did his testing, I have no problem calling that the work of a con artist who is tr... [More]
Comment icon #60 Posted by stereologist on 21 July, 2017, 13:37
Fanti reports that his analysis is of shroud fibers. Could be. Possibly is. On the other hand the fibers might not be. You might say he is doing his best when he is not authorized to collect material directly from the shroud. I think the most glaring example of wishful thinking on the part of believers is the invisible weave. There is no evidence for it and yet they say something to effect of, "See what an expert repair job it was?" If medieval artisans were such experts then why can't they have made this forgery? The repair would have required staining that exactly matches the rest of the clo... [More]
Comment icon #61 Posted by capeo on 24 July, 2017, 3:39
PLoS ONE is a pay to publish journal with zero credibility. It's a business model that allows anyone to publish any primary research if you want to pay to do it and there is ZERO peer review.

Old Winchester Mystery House photo found
An old photo of what is thought to be the house's original foundation has been discovered in a local archive.
Military laser creates voices out of thin air
The Pentagon has been working on a new non-lethal weapon that can make people hear voices and sounds.
Curiosity rover celebrates 2,000 days on Mars
NASA's flagship rover has now been trundling across the surface of the Red Planet for more than five years.
Wreck of the USS Juneau found after 75 years
The World War II-era vessel went down in 1942 after being hit by Japanese torpedoes in the Pacific.
How smart are you ?
Posted 3-23-2018 | 2 comments
Does an IQ test really offer an accurate measure of a person's intelligence ?
Posted 3-22-2018 | 1 comment
A look at words that sound alike and are spelt the same, but that have different meanings.
Monkeys learn to socialize
Posted 3-18-2018 | 0 comments
These young vervet monkeys must learn to socialize before being released in to the wild.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA