Saturday, March 17, 2018

Juno captures stunning new images of Jupiter

Posted on Saturday, 23 September, 2017 | Comment icon 55 comments

Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/SwRI/MSSS/Gerald Eichstadt/Sean Doran
NASA's Juno probe has sent back four breathtaking new images of the gas giant's swirling atmosphere.
The $1.1 billion spacecraft, which arrived in orbit around Jupiter back in July 2016, captured the images over a period of eight minutes during its most recent flyby at the beginning of September.

While Jupiter's iconic Great Red Spot, a 10,000-mile-wide storm that has been raging in the planet's atmosphere for more than 350 years, is not visible in the images, other swirling storms, as well as Jupiter's distinctive cloud bands, can be clearly seen covering the planet.

"At the times the images were taken, the spacecraft ranged from 7,545 to 14,234 miles from the tops of the clouds of the planet at a latitude range of -28.5406 to -44.4912 degrees," NASA wrote.

An animation showing the gas giant's powerful aurora can also be viewed below.

Source: | Comments (55)

Tags: Juno, Jupiter

Comment icon #46 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 25 January, 2018, 23:21
Jupiter’s Stormy North
Comment icon #47 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 8 February, 2018, 23:08
Falling Away from Jupiter
Comment icon #48 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 16 February, 2018, 22:40
Jupiter’s Swirling Cloud Formations
Comment icon #49 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 25 February, 2018, 11:27
Time-lapse Sequence of Jupiter’s South Pole
Comment icon #50 Posted by psyche101 on 26 February, 2018, 22:05
Hi Waspie Thanks for yet another breathtaking thread.  I read the core of Jupiter is 'fuzzy' from Junos data,  might I impress upon you as to what that actually refers to?
Comment icon #51 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 26 February, 2018, 22:22
There has long been a debate about whether Jupiter had a rocky core or if it is hydrogen all the way through. If it is hydrogen then pressure will force the hydrogen firstly into a liquid metallic state and finally into a solid metallic state. I haven't come across the term "fuzzy core" before but it sounds to me like it could be a deion of this metallic hydrogen core... I can imagine that such a core would not be distinctly delineated as would be the case with a rocky core and might, thus be described as "fuzzy".
Comment icon #52 Posted by Merc14 on 26 February, 2018, 22:53
This may be one of those questions we never get an answer to.
Comment icon #53 Posted by psyche101 on 26 February, 2018, 23:59
Thanks Waspie  I was hoping something had got past me, I find myself quite fascinated by the question of Jupiter's core  This is where I first heard to term fuzzy applied to a deion of Jupiter's core   I hope it is a question we can answer definitely someday just for personal reasons
Comment icon #54 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 5 March, 2018, 21:54
Jovian ‘Twilight Zone’
Comment icon #55 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 17 March, 2018, 13:04
Rose-Colored Jupiter

Flying drone could launch to Mars in 2020
NASA scientists are considering whether or not to send their lightweight robotic helicopter drone to Mars.
Elongated skulls belonged to 'foreign' brides
Researchers have been unraveling the mystery of elongated skulls discovered in southern Germany.
Plane in Russia drops three tons of gold bars
Bars worth up to $368 million rained down after the aircraft suffered damage during takeoff on Thursday.
Court rejects man's claim that he is not dead
A Romanian court has formally rejected Constantin Reliu's claim that he is actually very much alive.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Michio Kaku on asteroid mining
Posted 3-13-2018 | 1 comment
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku discusses the possibility of mining asteroids in space.
Fastest people in slow motion
Posted 3-12-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the world's fastest card thrower and an amazing fast draw world champion.
Baby elephant overcomes fear of water
Posted 3-11-2018 | 2 comments
After a near-death experience, this young elephant became terrified of the water.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA