Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Woman has eclipse burned on to her retinas

Posted on Saturday, 9 December, 2017 | Comment icon 16 comments

Observing the Sun without adequate protection can be disastrous. Image Credit: Tomruen
One viewer of August's total solar eclipse ended up with eye damage in the exact shape of the Sun.
Like many Americans, 26-year-old Nia Payne headed outside when the Moon passed in front of the Sun earlier this year and looked up at the slowly diminishing crescent in the sky.

After six seconds she looked away, realizing that it was too bright. Picking up a pair of what she thought were eclipse glasses, she turned her gaze towards the Sun once again.

It wasn't long before she realized that she had used the wrong pair, but by then the damage was done.

For the next two days, Payne's vision was obscured by a black spot in the shape of the Sun's crescent. She was eventually referred to the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai where doctors conducted detailed scans of her retinas.

"What we found is that the Sun's rays had damaged the photoreceptor layer in a very specific pattern, like a crescent," said Avnish Deobhakta, an assistant professor of ophthalmology.

"It really aligned with what she drew for us when we first saw her."

Sadly, her condition has no cure and she is now learning to live with the visual impairment.

"It's something I have to live with for the rest of my life," she said.

Source: Washington Post | Comments (16)

Tags: Eclipse, Eyes

Comment icon #7 Posted by Mr.United_Nations on 10 December, 2017, 8:35
Merica
Comment icon #8 Posted by Farmer77 on 10 December, 2017, 11:34
.....has access to nuclear launch codes.........
Comment icon #9 Posted by freetoroam on 10 December, 2017, 11:56
Lol...so did Bush.†
Comment icon #10 Posted by Jon the frog on 10 December, 2017, 16:03
Darwin award....
Comment icon #11 Posted by Jon the frog on 10 December, 2017, 17:50
Done that with my kids, lol, was kind of boring for them after a while, they lost the curiosity of looking at it and learn how to look at it.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Piney on 10 December, 2017, 17:53
I work outside and always have to wear safety glasses. I knew I would keep looking at it over the course of the afternoon so I used my cutting torch/welding goggles instead of my glasses.
Comment icon #13 Posted by paperdyer on 11 December, 2017, 17:08
Well I pity the girl a bit.† Yes what she did was ill-advised even with the "proper" eye wear.† I've almost gone blind twice, for 2 different reasons.†It's no fun.† Lucky I can see without the black dead spots.† Something this girl will never be able to do.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Calibeliever on 12 December, 2017, 14:33
Bummer for her. The good news is the brain has a marvelous way of adjusting to persistent visual anomalies. In time her brain will "forget" the pattern is there and she'll only see it if she focuses on it. Her dreams of becoming a fighter pilot are finished though.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Nuclear Wessel on 14 December, 2017, 13:13
I can't look at the sun for any more than like two seconds, and then the areas around my eyes start hurting ridiculously. I wonder why it didn't occur to her to look away after like the first two seconds?
Comment icon #16 Posted by Jon the frog on 14 December, 2017, 20:14
Maybe she was thinking of the pain box in Dune and feeling she was a true human continuing to look at the sun and controlling her pain ! †

6209914

'Dead' man interrupts his own wake in Paraguay
6-19-2018
The 20-year-old returned home after three days away to find that his family was mourning his death.
Climbers turn Mt Everest in to a rubbish dump
6-19-2018
The world-famous mountain has ended up covered in discarded rubbish thanks to careless climbing parties.
Trump orders creation of a US 'space force'
6-19-2018
This brand new branch of the US military will aim to establish American dominance in outer space.
Are black holes actually colliding wormholes?
6-18-2018
Scientists have put forward the possibility that what we think of as a black hole may be something else entirely.
Hermit crab finds a new home
Posted 6-18-2018 | 1 comment
Hermit crabs on this tropical island have been experiencing something of a housing shortage.

Throwing water at -52 below zero
Posted 6-10-2018 | 1 comment
What happens when you throw hot water in to the air in extreme freezing temperatures ?

Man was bitten by snakes 200 times
Posted 6-6-2018 | 0 comments
Despite being bitten so many times, 'snakeman' Bill Haast lived to be over 100 years old.

Catching an octopus
Posted 6-4-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson goes in search of an octopus in the tidal pools of South Africa.

The mystery of Tic-Tac bouncing
Posted 5-29-2018 | 0 comments
How is it that Tic-Tacs can bounce higher on the second bounce than on the first ?

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA