Friday, March 23, 2018

Woman has eclipse burned on to her retinas

Posted on Saturday, 9 December, 2017 | Comment icon 16 comments

Observing the Sun without adequate protection can be disastrous. Image Credit: Tomruen
One viewer of August's total solar eclipse ended up with eye damage in the exact shape of the Sun.
Like many Americans, 26-year-old Nia Payne headed outside when the Moon passed in front of the Sun earlier this year and looked up at the slowly diminishing crescent in the sky.

After six seconds she looked away, realizing that it was too bright. Picking up a pair of what she thought were eclipse glasses, she turned her gaze towards the Sun once again.

It wasn't long before she realized that she had used the wrong pair, but by then the damage was done.

For the next two days, Payne's vision was obscured by a black spot in the shape of the Sun's crescent. She was eventually referred to the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai where doctors conducted detailed scans of her retinas.

"What we found is that the Sun's rays had damaged the photoreceptor layer in a very specific pattern, like a crescent," said Avnish Deobhakta, an assistant professor of ophthalmology.

"It really aligned with what she drew for us when we first saw her."

Sadly, her condition has no cure and she is now learning to live with the visual impairment.

"It's something I have to live with for the rest of my life," she said.

Source: Washington Post | Comments (16)

Tags: Eclipse, Eyes

Comment icon #7 Posted by Mr.United_Nations on 10 December, 2017, 8:35
Comment icon #8 Posted by Farmer77 on 10 December, 2017, 11:34
.....has access to nuclear launch codes.........
Comment icon #9 Posted by freetoroam on 10 December, 2017, 11:56 did Bush.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Jon the frog on 10 December, 2017, 16:03
Darwin award....
Comment icon #11 Posted by Jon the frog on 10 December, 2017, 17:50
Done that with my kids, lol, was kind of boring for them after a while, they lost the curiosity of looking at it and learn how to look at it.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Piney on 10 December, 2017, 17:53
I work outside and always have to wear safety glasses. I knew I would keep looking at it over the course of the afternoon so I used my cutting torch/welding goggles instead of my glasses.
Comment icon #13 Posted by paperdyer on 11 December, 2017, 17:08
Well I pity the girl a bit. Yes what she did was ill-advised even with the "proper" eye wear. I've almost gone blind twice, for 2 different reasons.It's no fun. Lucky I can see without the black dead spots. Something this girl will never be able to do.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Calibeliever on 12 December, 2017, 14:33
Bummer for her. The good news is the brain has a marvelous way of adjusting to persistent visual anomalies. In time her brain will "forget" the pattern is there and she'll only see it if she focuses on it. Her dreams of becoming a fighter pilot are finished though.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Nuclear Wessel on 14 December, 2017, 13:13
I can't look at the sun for any more than like two seconds, and then the areas around my eyes start hurting ridiculously. I wonder why it didn't occur to her to look away after like the first two seconds?
Comment icon #16 Posted by Jon the frog on 14 December, 2017, 20:14
Maybe she was thinking of the pain box in Dune and feeling she was a true human continuing to look at the sun and controlling her pain !

Mystery of lioness with a mane has been solved
Researchers have finally determined why a zoo lioness has mysteriously sprouted mane-like head and neck hair.
Astronomer announces the discovery of... Mars
One astronomer was left red-faced this week after he mistook the planet Mars for an undiscovered star.
Could paint save us from a doomsday asteroid?
Rather than ramming or nuking a large space rock, scientists have suggested simply covering it in paint.
Did Triceratops use its horns to attract a mate ?
Scientists believe that dinosaurs like Triceratops may have used their horns to impress potential partners.
Posted 3-22-2018 | 1 comment
A look at words that sound alike and are spelt the same, but that have different meanings.
Monkeys learn to socialize
Posted 3-18-2018 | 0 comments
These young vervet monkeys must learn to socialize before being released in to the wild.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Michio Kaku on asteroid mining
Posted 3-13-2018 | 1 comment
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku discusses the possibility of mining asteroids in space.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA