Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Woman has eclipse burned on to her retinas

Posted on Saturday, 9 December, 2017 | Comment icon 16 comments

Observing the Sun without adequate protection can be disastrous. Image Credit: Tomruen
One viewer of August's total solar eclipse ended up with eye damage in the exact shape of the Sun.
Like many Americans, 26-year-old Nia Payne headed outside when the Moon passed in front of the Sun earlier this year and looked up at the slowly diminishing crescent in the sky.

After six seconds she looked away, realizing that it was too bright. Picking up a pair of what she thought were eclipse glasses, she turned her gaze towards the Sun once again.

It wasn't long before she realized that she had used the wrong pair, but by then the damage was done.

For the next two days, Payne's vision was obscured by a black spot in the shape of the Sun's crescent. She was eventually referred to the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai where doctors conducted detailed scans of her retinas.
"What we found is that the Sun's rays had damaged the photoreceptor layer in a very specific pattern, like a crescent," said Avnish Deobhakta, an assistant professor of ophthalmology.

"It really aligned with what she drew for us when we first saw her."

Sadly, her condition has no cure and she is now learning to live with the visual impairment.

"It's something I have to live with for the rest of my life," she said.

Source: Washington Post | Comments (16)

Tags: Eclipse, Eyes

Comment icon #7 Posted by Mr.United_Nations on 10 December, 2017, 8:35
Merica
Comment icon #8 Posted by Farmer77 on 10 December, 2017, 11:34
.....has access to nuclear launch codes.........
Comment icon #9 Posted by freetoroam on 10 December, 2017, 11:56
Lol...so did Bush.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Jon the frog on 10 December, 2017, 16:03
Darwin award....
Comment icon #11 Posted by Jon the frog on 10 December, 2017, 17:50
Done that with my kids, lol, was kind of boring for them after a while, they lost the curiosity of looking at it and learn how to look at it.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Piney on 10 December, 2017, 17:53
I work outside and always have to wear safety glasses. I knew I would keep looking at it over the course of the afternoon so I used my cutting torch/welding goggles instead of my glasses.
Comment icon #13 Posted by paperdyer on 11 December, 2017, 17:08
Well I pity the girl a bit.  Yes what she did was ill-advised even with the "proper" eye wear.  I've almost gone blind twice, for 2 different reasons. It's no fun.  Lucky I can see without the black dead spots.  Something this girl will never be able to do.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Calibeliever on 12 December, 2017, 14:33
Bummer for her. The good news is the brain has a marvelous way of adjusting to persistent visual anomalies. In time her brain will "forget" the pattern is there and she'll only see it if she focuses on it. Her dreams of becoming a fighter pilot are finished though.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Nuclear Wessel on 14 December, 2017, 13:13
I can't look at the sun for any more than like two seconds, and then the areas around my eyes start hurting ridiculously. I wonder why it didn't occur to her to look away after like the first two seconds?
Comment icon #16 Posted by Jon the frog on 14 December, 2017, 20:14
Maybe she was thinking of the pain box in Dune and feeling she was a true human continuing to look at the sun and controlling her pain !

143 new Nazca geoglyphs discovered in Peru
11-19-2019
Researchers have used an artificial intelligence to identity previously unseen drawings on the desert floor.
Ancient skeletons found wearing 'skull helmets'
11-18-2019
The skeletons of two infants unearthed in Ecuador were found to be wearing helmets made from other skulls.
Is Greta Thunberg in a 120-year-old photo ?
11-18-2019
A girl who happens to look uncannily like the young activist has been spotted in an old archive photograph.
Nicolas Cage on Bigfoot, Nessie and the Yeti
11-18-2019
The award-winning actor shared his views on a number of cryptozoological mysteries during a recent interview.
The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia