Saturday, March 17, 2018

Killer whale learns to say 'hello' and 'bye'

Posted on Wednesday, 31 January, 2018 | Comment icon 9 comments

Killer whales possess the ability to mimic human speech. Image Credit: NOAA
A 14-year-old orca named Wikie has succeeded in imitating some of the words spoken by her trainer.
The impressive feat was achieved by first teaching the animal a hand signal meaning 'copy this' and then presenting her with a series of sounds for her to duplicate.

For the study, the researchers used six phrases spoken by a trainer ( such as 'hello' and '1 2 3' ), as well as five sounds made by other orcas.

Wikie succeeded in learning several of the words straight away, although others took up to 17 tries.

Some examples of the phrases she managed to learn can be heard in the video below.

Source: Science Magazine | Comments (9)

Tags: Killer Whale

Comment icon #1 Posted by DirtyDocMartens on 31 January, 2018, 12:52
That's one of the most hilarious things I've ever heard.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Grandpa Greenman on 31 January, 2018, 14:49
Are they sure they aren't saying, F'Uand let me out of this fishtank. If they teach them our language and they ask for their freedom will they be let go?
Comment icon #3 Posted by paperdyer on 31 January, 2018, 17:32
First the animal rights groups will need to prove the orcas are sentient. Once having accomplished this feat, they'll more on to other sea mammals that can mimic human speech.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Farmer77 on 31 January, 2018, 17:37
Science is moving very quickly in that direction, no need for it to be cute mammals either. Are Plants Entering the Realm of the Sentient? Its been very fun watching the vegan's reactions to this.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Piney on 31 January, 2018, 18:06
When confronted by a vegan I always ask, "What makes you think you live above the laws of nature?" Then I explain to them that we evolved as a omnivorous hominid who has a symbiotic relationship with a microbiom that needs the chemicals found only in meats and dairy (dairyin Europeans). Then I explain to them that they compromised their immune, digestive and skeletal systems.
Comment icon #6 Posted by seeder on 31 January, 2018, 18:38
wasnt there a jokey saying allegedly from Indians..... who said: "Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning lousy hunter"
Comment icon #7 Posted by Hankenhunter on 1 February, 2018, 4:38
After seeing it on utube, I taught one of my dogs to say "mamma" and a half assed " I love you". She's always vocalizing anyway so I thought why not? Creeps outthe neighbors though, heh. Animals can be very clever when food is involved. Hank
Comment icon #8 Posted by preacherman76 on 1 February, 2018, 13:30
Watching these animals still in captivity makes me sick. Free Willy.
Comment icon #9 Posted by MissJatti on 15 February, 2018, 13:05
all i heard was farty replies and screetchy voices

Flying drone could launch to Mars in 2020
NASA scientists are considering whether or not to send their lightweight robotic helicopter drone to Mars.
Elongated skulls belonged to 'foreign' brides
Researchers have been unraveling the mystery of elongated skulls discovered in southern Germany.
Plane in Russia drops three tons of gold bars
Bars worth up to $368 million rained down after the aircraft suffered damage during takeoff on Thursday.
Court rejects man's claim that he is not dead
A Romanian court has formally rejected Constantin Reliu's claim that he is actually very much alive.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Michio Kaku on asteroid mining
Posted 3-13-2018 | 1 comment
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku discusses the possibility of mining asteroids in space.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA