Thursday, December 12, 2019

World's oldest message in a bottle discovered

Posted on Wednesday, 7 March, 2018 | Comment icon 10 comments

The bottle was found in Australia. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
The bottle, which dates back 132 years, was found on a beach around 180km north of Perth, Australia.
According to the message inside, the bottle had been thrown in to the ocean in 1886 by researchers aboard the German sailing barque 'Paula' as part of a long-term oceanographic experiment designed to better understand global currents and to find more efficient shipping routes.

It was found by Tonya Illman after her son's car became bogged down in soft sand.

"My friend Grace Ricciardo and I were walking across the dunes when I saw something sticking out of the sand so I went to take a closer look," she said.
"It just looked like a lovely old bottle so I picked it up thinking it might look good in my bookcase. My son's girlfriend was the one who discovered the note when she went to tip the sand out."

"The note was damp, rolled tightly and wrapped with string. We took it home and dried it out, and when we opened it we saw it was a printed form, in German, with very faint German handwriting."

Officially recognized as the oldest message in a bottle ever discovered, the find has since been declared authentic by the German Federal Maritime and Hydrographic Agency (BSH).

It is set to go on display at the Western Australian Museum for the next two years.

Source: museum.wa.gov.au | Comments (10)

Tags: Message, Bottle

Comment icon #1 Posted by Astra. on 6 March, 2018, 13:10
It would certainly be awesome to find something as special as that.
Comment icon #2 Posted by .saraharas. on 7 March, 2018, 13:47
Well that certainly puts my seaglass collection to shame. What a cool find!
Comment icon #3 Posted by Hawkin on 7 March, 2018, 16:29
That's really some neat stuff.
Comment icon #4 Posted by paperdyer on 7 March, 2018, 17:39
Talk about snail mail!
Comment icon #5 Posted by Stiff on 7 March, 2018, 17:52
It's still quicker than DHL Express. If you ever want to get rid of a body, package it up and send it off with DHL, it'll never be seen again.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Timonthy on 8 March, 2018, 0:29
I’m sure that your seaglass collection is more than sufficient.  As for OP, it is a really cool find. Surely there are still many others undiscovered out there.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Hawkin on 8 March, 2018, 1:42
Has anyone ever done that when they were kids? Put a message in a bottle and throw it in a river or stream.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Astra. on 8 March, 2018, 2:39
No, not that I can remember. But I have thought about it, as it would be nice to put something like a poem, or your own private thoughts into a little bottle and let the ocean take it away to far places and distant shores, where someone may one day find your message. Have you ever sent a little message off into a river or stream Hawkin...if not, what type of message would it be ? ..
Comment icon #9 Posted by Hawkin on 8 March, 2018, 3:16
In the 6th grade, my school teacher would have us kids fill helium balloons. Put a self addressed stamp postcard in a plastic bag and tie it to the balloon and set it a drift. Whoever found it would it mail it back. We could tell where it landed by the postmark. The balloons went all over the states and some to Canada.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Astra. on 8 March, 2018, 3:25
Wow, what a lovely idea. She sounded like a pretty cool and fun school teacher to have had.

'Area 51' among 2019's most searched terms
12-11-2019
Google has revealed the events, people and things that were searched for the most over the last 12 months.
Flock of birds falls dead from the sky in Wales
12-11-2019
Authorities are investigating what might have caused an entire flock of starlings to suddenly drop dead.
'Expedition Bigfoot' reveals new video evidence
12-11-2019
A team of TV Bigfoot hunters have released a video clip of an unidentified creature picked up on thermal camera.
Celtic warrior unearthed in major Iron Age find
12-10-2019
Archaeologists in England are hailing the discovery as one of the most significant finds of the millennium.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia