Friday, April 27, 2018

World's last male northern white rhino dies

Posted on Tuesday, 20 March, 2018 | Comment icon 18 comments

It's the end of an era for the northern white rhino. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Guy lemal
The last remaining male of the species, Sudan, was put down on Monday after several months of ill-health.
The 45-year-old rhino, who had been living under armed guard at the Ol Pejeta Conservancy in Kenya, leaves behind only his daughter and grand-daughter - the last two surviving females.

According to reports, Sudan had been suffering from a degenerative condition of the bones and muscles, leaving him with extensive and painful skin wounds. He had been unable to stand at all for over 24 hours before the decision was made to end his suffering as humanely as possible.

"Sudan was the last northern white rhino that was born in the wild," said Jan Stejskal of Dvur Kralove Zoo in the Czech Republic. "His death is a cruel symbol of human disregard for nature and it saddened everyone who knew him."

The future of the species now lies entirely with the possibility of using southern white rhinos as surrogates to carry northern white rhino embryos.

If this works, it may prevent the species from going extinct entirely. If it doesn't, then the northern white rhino will disappear forever when the last two remaining individuals eventually pass away.

Source: BBC News | Comments (18)

Tags: Northern White Rhino

Comment icon #9 Posted by Myles on 21 March, 2018, 13:39
It is "it's people" who are killing these animals.
Comment icon #10 Posted by seanjo on 21 March, 2018, 15:19
Some of them, a very few...not all of them. Places like China pay big bucks for these body part remedies.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Myles on 21 March, 2018, 16:13
Agree, but more of them are killed by locals than foreigners. I do agree that the market created by dumb people in Asia help drive the poaching. Also collectors in other places of the globe.
Comment icon #12 Posted by oldrover on 22 March, 2018, 12:51
Well let's say the fingers on the triggers belong to local people, but the reason the rifles have been shouldered, like the rifles themselves, originate overseas.
Comment icon #13 Posted by third_eye on 22 March, 2018, 14:03
Much better if the facts are clearly presented as it is and not repetitiously blamed on 'Asia' as the main fault ... if the numbers are to be believed the 'parts' are will inundate the Asian markets and will never going to be as costly as it is reported to be ... wiki link
Comment icon #14 Posted by Myles on 22 March, 2018, 16:53
I put at minimum an equal amount of blame on the person who does the deed. For them, the reason was money. Not a good reason to kill off a species.
Comment icon #15 Posted by oldrover on 22 March, 2018, 17:43
I can't agree. I live a safe, relatively affluent, and very protected life in a safe, affluent and protected country. As a result I can afford scruples. If I lived in a place where my options were limited and my family were hungry I wouldn't give a damn about animals or other people. Well I might, but I'd still do whatever I could for my own first.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Myles on 22 March, 2018, 18:53
I can understand that, however it would still be you who are responsible for killing off the animals. Sure, end users are also to blame, but you would be the one pulling the trigger.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Captain Risky on 23 March, 2018, 10:33
how sad that such a noble animal is now extinct. can't understand why country's can't get together and relocate endangered animals to areas in the world that can better suit and protect such animals.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Katniss on 25 March, 2018, 10:57
I thought he was going to make it. So sad and depressing.

World's largest wind turbine to be 853ft tall
4-26-2018
The upcoming 12 megawatt wind power platform will be almost three times the height of the Statue of Liberty.
Star map update to feature 1.7 billion stars
4-26-2018
Astronomers from ESA's Gaia mission will tomorrow release the largest map of our galaxy ever created.
Fossil footprints hint at giant sloth chase
4-26-2018
New evidence has been discovered to suggest that our ancestors hunted down giant prehistoric sloths.
Was ancient 'hashtag' the first human symbol?
4-25-2018
Hashtag-like etchings found on a rock in South Africa's Blombos Cave are thought to be over 100,000 years old.
Could you survive a nuclear bomb ?
Posted 4-24-2018 | 0 comments
If someone dropped an atomic bomb on a city, what would be your chances of survival ?

What does space smell like ?
Posted 4-23-2018 | 0 comments
Does the vacuum of space actually smell of anything and if so, what ?

Why is US paper money green ?
Posted 4-22-2018 | 0 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why the color green was used when printing US bank notes.

Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA