Thursday, August 11, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Natural World > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Natural World

Eggs harvested from last northern white rhinos

August 25, 2019 | Comment icon 11 comments

There are only two northern white rhinos left in the entire world. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Guy lemal
An unprecedented procedure could help to ensure the continued survival of the critically endangered species.
Situated in Kenya's Ol Pejeta Conservancy, the last two remaining members of the species - a mother and daughter - remain under armed guard at all times to protect them from poachers.

The last male northern white rhino sadly passed away due to old age last year.

Not all is necessarily lost however as a team of veterinarians has succeeded in harvesting a total of ten eggs from the two remaining rhinos. It is hoped that the eggs can be fertilized using sperm from a deceased male and brought to term by a surrogate southern white rhino.
"We are delighted that this partnership gets us one step closer to prevent extinction of the northern white rhinos," said Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) director general John Waweru.

"This is particularly touching given the heartbreaking death of Sudan, the last male, who died of old age last year in Kenya."

Whether the team's efforts will ultimately produce a new northern white rhino calf however remains to be seen - there is no guarantee that the implanted embryos will result in pregnancy.

If the attempt fails, then once the remaining two females die, their entire species will die with them.

Source: BBC News | Comments (11)

Comment icon #2 Posted by Susanc241 3 years ago
I have to agree with you on this one re cloning. †Poachers donít seem to get that when the last one goes so does their illgotten income.† Forever, from this one source. ††Poaching is laziness in the extreme. †Taking†what isnít yours with weapons the target hasnít a hope in hell of avoiding. †And to add to the disaster these animals are being killed for medically worthless keratin. †I canít say on here what I think of the final recipients of the product†who believe otherwise and create the demand in the first place.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Timothy 3 years ago
I didnít know rhinos laid eggs! (Sorry, it is sad†)
Comment icon #4 Posted by woopypooky 3 years ago
Well...female humans have eggs too.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Timothy 3 years ago
Yeah yeah, but you know what I meant. Bad joke I know... Time to hard boil one of those suckers. The horn is the annoying bit. Donít swallow!
Comment icon #6 Posted by Desertrat56 3 years ago
I agree.† I don't understand that whole industry.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Desertrat56 3 years ago
Maybe you could make better jokes in the political threads.† In this one those aren't funny.† (or maybe it's just the wrong audience)
Comment icon #8 Posted by Timothy 3 years ago
Itís funny to the right people. Sorry to offend! Think of it as sarcastically-taking-the-p***- because-itís-an-incredibly-sad-thing-and- sometimes-when-a-situation-is-unable-to-be-recovered-only-a-crappy-joke-will-suffice.† I guess just a bit of satire on humanity.† Hope that helps!
Comment icon #9 Posted by openozy 3 years ago
They should let the poor animals go extinct,there is nowhere wild on Earth where they will be safe.We are just trying to keep them going to make ourselves feel ok about overpopulating and ruining the planet for all creatures including ourselves.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Desertrat56 3 years ago
I understand, I don't think it helps.† There are some times when a crappy joke makes things worse instead of better.† I have a dark humor myself but sometimes it isn't appropriate.†† Maybe I take this subject too seriously, but we are loosing a lot and striving for profit is driving the loss most of all.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Still Waters 3 years ago