Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Canberra man falls victim to 'curse of Uluru'

Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2018 | Comment icon 61 comments

Is there really a curse of Uluru ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 CSIRO
A man who took home a piece of Australia's famous Ayers Rock believes that he has fallen under its curse.
When Steve Hill visited the landmark during a solo trip to Australia's spiritual heartland last year, he didn't think anything of picking up a small chunk of it to take home as a souvenir.

"While walking around the base of Uluru (Ayers Rock), I saw this rock and just had to have it," he said. "Google maps indicated I was at the old campground where Azaria Chamberlain went missing, so I thought I'd take a small rock as memorabilia, you know, to put on the mantelpiece back at home."

Before long however, he started to experience a spate of unfortunate incidents that would lead him to believe that stories of a curse befalling anyone who disturbs Uluru might actually be true.

Things started to go awry even during his return trip. On one otherwise unremarkable stretch of road, kangaroos started inexplicably hurling themselves at his vehicle, as if deliberately.

"I've driven extensively through the outback and never seen such behavior from kangaroos," he said. "It was at that point I started to think maybe I shouldn't have taken the rock and that maybe I'd fallen victim to the curse."

A couple of months later, his engine failed and mechanics struggled to figure out what was wrong.

Even during his day-to-day activities Hill reported feeling nervous, and when all the photographs of his trip to the rock mysteriously disappeared off his phone, he decided that enough was enough.

"I've been planning a trip to Cape York for some time, but have decided to not only bring it forward to next month, but also make a 3000-kilometre detour via Uluru," he said.

"I'm going to return the rock; it's just something I've got to do. I know exactly where I took it from, so as soon as I get to Uluru, I'll be returning it."

Source: Canberra Times | Comments (61)

Tags: Curse, Ayers Rock, Uluru

Comment icon #52 Posted by Still Waters on 30 June, 2018, 12:57
Oh for goodness sake, all this nit-picking over a name! Ayers Rock,Uluru, it doesn't matter which name it goes by. Enough please.
Comment icon #53 Posted by DingoLingo on 30 June, 2018, 22:06
well me and Chrlz know it because .. well.. we are australian *laughing* your talking about our country mate.. I'm a born and bred west aussie
Comment icon #54 Posted by Vlad the Mighty on 1 July, 2018, 6:20
I see you corrected yourself, so I withdraw the pedantry
Comment icon #55 Posted by DerDesertRat on 18 July, 2018, 0:39
I have a piece of Uluru, Hawaiian Volcanoes, Rock of Gibraltar,AND a piece of the Great Pyramid in my rock garden. Also have numerous burial/grave goods from North American first nations sites on private property or from prior to the archaeological act passed in the 70's. And I have fantastic luck. No kidding. I constantly get comments about it. How did yiu get tickets to the sold out show, how many royal flushes can one person possibly draw? How many near miss Chupacabra/Sasquatch attcks.have you survived (probably dozens - but I didn't even know it). Near misses in shootouts I could go on a... [More]
Comment icon #56 Posted by openozy on 18 July, 2018, 0:45
You won't be having good luck if the aboriginals find out you have a chunk of Uluru.
Comment icon #57 Posted by Piney on 18 July, 2018, 12:04
You sound like a person who is full of respect for indigenous cultures.........
Comment icon #58 Posted by moonman on 18 July, 2018, 18:21
Not sure if serious...
Comment icon #59 Posted by Black Red Devil on 19 July, 2018, 10:52
His problems started way before visiting Uluru. Living in Canberra is enough of a curse. Too cold, too many politicians and not enough ocean.
Comment icon #60 Posted by Mr Walker on 28 July, 2018, 3:24
Of course, to a great extent, EVERYTHING is just in our heads, becausehumans are mind more than body.
Comment icon #61 Posted by Mr Walker on 28 July, 2018, 3:36
Uluru/ Ayres rock are both official names for the rock. It was the first landmark given official dual names in Dec 1993, from memory. What an Australian calls it is up to their own sense of political correctness, although there has been some govt and community consensus to call it Uluru. as a cultural recognition of its importance to our native peoples. It still ignites passions, especially with new moves to ban climbing on it. I climbed it earlyone morning back in 1973, before any controversy arose. It was Jan and the temps during the day were in the 40s C so we set off early,a t dawn... [More]

'Ghost' galaxy discovered outside Milky Way
11-14-2018
Scientists studying data from the Gaia satellite have identified a massive 'ghost' galaxy lurking nearby.
Real-life Chucky 'attacks woman's boyfriend'
11-13-2018
A woman in Peru has claimed that her possessed doll moves on its own and is prone to bouts of violence.
Samsung is developing a brain-controlled TV
11-13-2018
It may soon be possible to do away with the remote altogether and change channels using only your mind.
Divers encounter giant worm-like 'creature'
11-13-2018
Two divers came across something extraordinary during a recent excursion off the coast of New Zealand.
The last reef of the Galapagos
Posted 11-12-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the enigmatic world that lies beneath the ocean off the Galapagos Islands.

Morse code
Posted 11-7-2018 | 4 comments
Michael takes a look at an obsolete messaging system that uses dots and dashes.

The colors of autumn
Posted 10-31-2018 | 1 comment
Taking a moment to appreciate the colors and atmosphere of autumn.

Faster than a calculator
Posted 10-26-2018 | 2 comments
'Mathemagician' Arthur Benjamin shows off his amazing mathematical skills.

The city of towering temples
Posted 10-21-2018 | 2 comments
A look at the temples of Angkor - a city steeped in Cambodian history and legend.

My name is whispered

Orange, hovering, atom-like figure
10-25-2018 | West kelowna

I saw a strange man
10-25-2018 | Croatia

Spontaneous exorcisms
10-25-2018 | Canada

Two children who didn't age
10-24-2018 | United States New York