Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Canberra man falls victim to 'curse of Uluru'

Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2018 | Comment icon 61 comments

Is there really a curse of Uluru ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 CSIRO
A man who took home a piece of Australia's famous Ayers Rock believes that he has fallen under its curse.
When Steve Hill visited the landmark during a solo trip to Australia's spiritual heartland last year, he didn't think anything of picking up a small chunk of it to take home as a souvenir.

"While walking around the base of Uluru (Ayers Rock), I saw this rock and just had to have it," he said. "Google maps indicated I was at the old campground where Azaria Chamberlain went missing, so I thought I'd take a small rock as memorabilia, you know, to put on the mantelpiece back at home."

Before long however, he started to experience a spate of unfortunate incidents that would lead him to believe that stories of a curse befalling anyone who disturbs Uluru might actually be true.

Things started to go awry even during his return trip. On one otherwise unremarkable stretch of road, kangaroos started inexplicably hurling themselves at his vehicle, as if deliberately.
"I've driven extensively through the outback and never seen such behavior from kangaroos," he said. "It was at that point I started to think maybe I shouldn't have taken the rock and that maybe I'd fallen victim to the curse."

A couple of months later, his engine failed and mechanics struggled to figure out what was wrong.

Even during his day-to-day activities Hill reported feeling nervous, and when all the photographs of his trip to the rock mysteriously disappeared off his phone, he decided that enough was enough.

"I've been planning a trip to Cape York for some time, but have decided to not only bring it forward to next month, but also make a 3000-kilometre detour via Uluru," he said.

"I'm going to return the rock; it's just something I've got to do. I know exactly where I took it from, so as soon as I get to Uluru, I'll be returning it."

Source: Canberra Times | Comments (61)

Tags: Curse, Ayers Rock, Uluru

Comment icon #52 Posted by Still Waters on 30 June, 2018, 12:57
Oh for goodness sake, all this nit-picking over a name! Ayers Rock, Uluru, it doesn't matter which name it goes by. Enough please.
Comment icon #53 Posted by DingoLingo on 30 June, 2018, 22:06
well me and Chrlz know it because .. well.. we are australian *laughing* your talking about our country mate.. I'm a born and bred west aussie
Comment icon #54 Posted by Vlad the Mighty on 1 July, 2018, 6:20
I see you corrected yourself, so I withdraw the pedantry
Comment icon #55 Posted by DerDesertRat on 18 July, 2018, 0:39
I have a piece of Uluru, Hawaiian Volcanoes, Rock of Gibraltar, AND a piece of the Great Pyramid in my rock garden. Also have numerous burial/grave goods from North American first nations sites on private property or from prior to the archaeological act passed in the 70's. And I have fantastic luck. No kidding. I constantly get comments about it. How did yiu get tickets to the sold out show, how many royal flushes can one person possibly draw? How many near miss Chupacabra/Sasquatch attcks.have you survived (probably dozens - but I didn't even know it). Near misses in shootouts I could go on a... [More]
Comment icon #56 Posted by openozy on 18 July, 2018, 0:45
You won't be having good luck if the aboriginals find out you have a chunk of Uluru.
Comment icon #57 Posted by Piney on 18 July, 2018, 12:04
 You sound like a person who is full of respect for indigenous cultures.........
Comment icon #58 Posted by moonman on 18 July, 2018, 18:21
Not sure if serious...
Comment icon #59 Posted by Black Red Devil on 19 July, 2018, 10:52
His problems started way before visiting Uluru.  Living in Canberra is enough of a curse.  Too cold, too many politicians and not enough ocean.
Comment icon #60 Posted by Mr Walker on 28 July, 2018, 3:24
Of course, to a great extent, EVERYTHING is just in our heads,  because  humans are mind more than body.
Comment icon #61 Posted by Mr Walker on 28 July, 2018, 3:36
Uluru/ Ayres rock are both official names for the rock. It was the first landmark given official dual names in Dec 1993, from memory. What an Australian calls it is up to their own sense of political correctness, although there has been some govt and community consensus to call it Uluru. as a cultural  recognition of its importance to our native peoples. It still ignites passions, especially with new moves to ban climbing on it.   I climbed it early  one morning back in 1973, before any controversy arose. It was Jan and the temps during the day were in the 40s  C  so we set off early, a t dawn... [More]

191383

UK military opens first space command center
8-2-2021
The new center will help the UK to maintain its interests and achieve a 'battle-winning advantage' in space.
Visitors flock to Devil's Bath in New Zealand
8-2-2021
This unique and brightly colored natural wonder might look pretty, but you definitely don't want to swim in it.
How much heat can a human endure ?
8-1-2021
With heatwaves seeing temperature records being broken on a regular basis, just how hot is too hot ?
Scientists spot real-life Spongebob and Patrick
8-1-2021
A recent underwater expedition picked up footage of a surprisingly familiar looking sponge and starfish.
Mystery 'troll' captured on camera
4-24-2021 | Marsta, Sweden

My Grandfather's NDE
4-24-2021 | Oakland, California

The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball