Monday, December 10, 2018

Case of vanishing monk still remains unsolved

Posted on Tuesday, 9 October, 2018 | Comment icon 7 comments

Pluscarden Abbey was founded in 1230. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 John Wright
A British filmmaker is hoping to solve the mysterious disappearance of Father Maurus Deegan in 2005.
Father Deegan had been a resident at Pluscarden Abbey near Elgin, Scotland for most of his life and was the last surviving member of the 'Pluscarden Pioneers' who reformed the monastery in 1948.

He was well known for taking daily walks through the neighboring countryside, even well in to his 90s.

On May 12th 2005, however, he went out as usual for his walk and never returned. Despite an extensive search of the surrounding area, no trace of him was ever found.

Some have speculated that he may have taken ill and collapsed, while others believe that he had deliberately sought out a secluded spot with the intention of peacefully dying in solitude.

Neither possibility however explains why his remains have never been found, especially given how well the other monks knew the local area.

It also seems unlikely that Father Deegan - being 93 - would have been able to get very far on foot.

Now in a renewed effort to get to the bottom of the mystery, filmmaker Christopher Court is making a documentary in an attempt to refresh people's memories about what happened the day he vanished.

"When I started I never thought I would actually find out what happened to Father Maurus but by tiptoeing around trying to work out all the theories I really got to explore the monks' monastic faith in a different way," he said.

"It's a light-hearted film, although it's a serious subject, because I think I would be doing the monks a disservice if I did it otherwise given how they spoke about Father Maurus and their views on the world. I really wanted to show that different side to them."

The film is set to be screened later on this year.

Source: Press and Journal | Comments (7)

Tags: Father Maurus Deegan, Pluscarden

Comment icon #1 Posted by seanjo on 9 October, 2018, 17:25
Elgin is on the Moray Firth (most pubs do a decent pint of 80 and 70 Shillings), I'll go with lost at Sea.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Still Waters on 9 October, 2018, 20:01
I remember this from when it was in the news. It caused quite a stir at the time the way he just vanished. I've been to Pluscarden Abbey and have a soft spot for the place, it's nice there and the monks were really pleasant. I'll be looking out for this film when it comes out, I'm very interested in watching it. Father Deegan would have had to walk about 5 miles to reach the sea.
Comment icon #3 Posted by seanjo on 9 October, 2018, 20:12
And having looked, through a wood, so maybe not, but he could be in those woods.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Iilaa'mpuul'xem on 9 October, 2018, 20:32
I loved the 80 and 70 Shillings... didn't they do a 90 shillings also? I really looked forward to them when going on holiday..
Comment icon #5 Posted by MissJatti on 10 October, 2018, 9:33
I do hope they get to the bottom of the disappearance of Father Maurus Deegan
Comment icon #6 Posted by TripGun on 10 October, 2018, 17:35
Fell into the Blackburn river and was carried out to the Bryron sound, poor fellow.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Podo on 10 October, 2018, 23:15
Flat sasquatches snatched him.

World's oldest known wild bird lays another egg
12-10-2018
A Laysan albatross known as 'Wisdom' has exceeded all expectations by laying an egg at the ripe old age of 68.
Voyager 2 has now entered interstellar space
12-10-2018
NASA has confirmed that the probe has become the second spacecraft ever to leave the heliosphere.
Creepy figure appears in video chat footage
12-10-2018
Lori Simmons got the fright of her life recently after her friend spotted someone standing right behind her.
1,000mph supersonic car project has been axed
12-9-2018
The highly ambitious Bloodhound SSC has now gone up for sale following a spate of financial difficulties.
Humboldt squid takes a bite
Posted 12-10-2018 | 1 comment
A look at what happened when Steve Backshall met a rather large Humboldt squid.

Rainbow jelly tennis
Posted 12-3-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another ridiculous slow motion experiment involving jelly.

Progress launch timelapse
Posted 11-24-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the recent launch of the Russian Progress MS-10 cargo spacecraft.

My name is whispered

Orange, hovering, atom-like figure
10-25-2018 | West kelowna

I saw a strange man
10-25-2018 | Croatia

Spontaneous exorcisms
10-25-2018 | Canada

Two children who didn't age
10-24-2018 | United States New York