Friday, February 22, 2019

Case of vanishing monk still remains unsolved

Posted on Tuesday, 9 October, 2018 | Comment icon 7 comments

Pluscarden Abbey was founded in 1230. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 John Wright
A British filmmaker is hoping to solve the mysterious disappearance of Father Maurus Deegan in 2005.
Father Deegan had been a resident at Pluscarden Abbey near Elgin, Scotland for most of his life and was the last surviving member of the 'Pluscarden Pioneers' who reformed the monastery in 1948.

He was well known for taking daily walks through the neighboring countryside, even well in to his 90s.

On May 12th 2005, however, he went out as usual for his walk and never returned. Despite an extensive search of the surrounding area, no trace of him was ever found.

Some have speculated that he may have taken ill and collapsed, while others believe that he had deliberately sought out a secluded spot with the intention of peacefully dying in solitude.

Neither possibility however explains why his remains have never been found, especially given how well the other monks knew the local area.

It also seems unlikely that Father Deegan - being 93 - would have been able to get very far on foot.

Now in a renewed effort to get to the bottom of the mystery, filmmaker Christopher Court is making a documentary in an attempt to refresh people's memories about what happened the day he vanished.

"When I started I never thought I would actually find out what happened to Father Maurus but by tiptoeing around trying to work out all the theories I really got to explore the monks' monastic faith in a different way," he said.

"It's a light-hearted film, although it's a serious subject, because I think I would be doing the monks a disservice if I did it otherwise given how they spoke about Father Maurus and their views on the world. I really wanted to show that different side to them."

The film is set to be screened later on this year.

Source: Press and Journal | Comments (7)

Tags: Father Maurus Deegan, Pluscarden

Comment icon #1 Posted by seanjo on 9 October, 2018, 17:25
Elgin is on the Moray Firth (most pubs do a decent pint of 80 and 70 Shillings), I'll go with lost at Sea.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Still Waters on 9 October, 2018, 20:01
I remember this from when it was in the news. It caused quite a stir at the time the way he just vanished. I've been to Pluscarden Abbey and have a soft spot for the place, it's nice there and the monks were really pleasant. I'll be looking out for this film when it comes out, I'm very interested in watching it. Father Deegan would have had to walk about 5 miles to reach the sea.
Comment icon #3 Posted by seanjo on 9 October, 2018, 20:12
And having looked, through a wood, so maybe not, but he could be in those woods.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Iilaa'mpuul'xem on 9 October, 2018, 20:32
I loved the 80 and 70 Shillings... didn't they do a 90 shillings also? I really looked forward to them when going on holiday..
Comment icon #5 Posted by MissJatti on 10 October, 2018, 9:33
I do hope they get to the bottom of the disappearance of Father Maurus Deegan
Comment icon #6 Posted by TripGun on 10 October, 2018, 17:35
Fell into the Blackburn river and was carried out to the Bryron sound, poor fellow.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Podo on 10 October, 2018, 23:15
Flat sasquatches snatched him.

Miniature Tyrannosaurus rex discovered
2-21-2019
A pint-sized relative of the tyrant lizard dating back 96 million years has been unearthed in North America.
World's largest bee rediscovered in Indonesia
2-21-2019
A gigantic species of bee thought to have gone extinct has been discovered alive and well on a remote island.
New moon discovered in our solar system
2-21-2019
Scientists have successfully identified an entirely new moon in orbit around the gas giant Neptune.
3 UFO sightings reported every day in Canada
2-20-2019
Canada's Fox Mulder - Christopher Rutkowski - has revealed just how often Canadians are reporting UFOs.
Why do blind people wear sunglasses ?
Posted 2-19-2019 | 2 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why blind people are often seen wearing sunglasses, even indoors.

How will humans evolve ?
Posted 2-12-2019 | 2 comments
What's next for our species - what will a human of the future be like ?

Why do mirrors only flip horizontally?
Posted 2-6-2019 | 3 comments
When you look in the mirror, why is your image only flipped horizontally and not vertically ?

My skinless demon