Thursday, October 18, 2018

Case of vanishing monk still remains unsolved

Posted on Tuesday, 9 October, 2018 | Comment icon 7 comments

Pluscarden Abbey was founded in 1230. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 John Wright
A British filmmaker is hoping to solve the mysterious disappearance of Father Maurus Deegan in 2005.
Father Deegan had been a resident at Pluscarden Abbey near Elgin, Scotland for most of his life and was the last surviving member of the 'Pluscarden Pioneers' who reformed the monastery in 1948.

He was well known for taking daily walks through the neighboring countryside, even well in to his 90s.

On May 12th 2005, however, he went out as usual for his walk and never returned. Despite an extensive search of the surrounding area, no trace of him was ever found.

Some have speculated that he may have taken ill and collapsed, while others believe that he had deliberately sought out a secluded spot with the intention of peacefully dying in solitude.

Neither possibility however explains why his remains have never been found, especially given how well the other monks knew the local area.

It also seems unlikely that Father Deegan - being 93 - would have been able to get very far on foot.

Now in a renewed effort to get to the bottom of the mystery, filmmaker Christopher Court is making a documentary in an attempt to refresh people's memories about what happened the day he vanished.

"When I started I never thought I would actually find out what happened to Father Maurus but by tiptoeing around trying to work out all the theories I really got to explore the monks' monastic faith in a different way," he said.

"It's a light-hearted film, although it's a serious subject, because I think I would be doing the monks a disservice if I did it otherwise given how they spoke about Father Maurus and their views on the world. I really wanted to show that different side to them."

The film is set to be screened later on this year.

Source: Press and Journal | Comments (7)

Tags: Father Maurus Deegan, Pluscarden

Comment icon #1 Posted by seanjo on 9 October, 2018, 17:25
Elgin is on the Moray Firth (most pubs do a decent pint of 80 and 70 Shillings), I'll go with lost at Sea.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Still Waters on 9 October, 2018, 20:01
I remember this from when it was in the news. It caused quite a stir at the time the way he just vanished. I've been to Pluscarden Abbey and have a soft spot for the place, it's nice there and the monks were really pleasant. I'll be looking out for this film when it comes out, I'm very interested in watching it. Father Deegan would have had to walk about 5 miles to reach the sea.
Comment icon #3 Posted by seanjo on 9 October, 2018, 20:12
And having looked, through a wood, so maybe not, but he could be in those woods.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Iilaa'mpuul'xem on 9 October, 2018, 20:32
I loved the 80 and 70 Shillings... didn't they do a 90 shillings also? I really looked forward to them when going on holiday..
Comment icon #5 Posted by MissJatti on 10 October, 2018, 9:33
I do hope they get to the bottom of the disappearance of Father Maurus Deegan
Comment icon #6 Posted by TripGun on 10 October, 2018, 17:35
Fell into the Blackburn river and was carried out to the Bryron sound, poor fellow.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Podo on 10 October, 2018, 23:15
Flat sasquatches snatched him.

US Air Force whistleblower dies in bike crash
10-18-2018
Former US Air Force sergeant Karl Wolfe once claimed to have seen photographs of an alien base on the Moon.
City to replace lights with 'artificial moon'
10-17-2018
The Chinese city of Chengdu is working on a novel space-age solution to illuminating its streets at night.
NASA should be looking for ET, say scientists
10-17-2018
A new report has suggested that searching for evidence of alien life should be part of all future space missions.
McLaren unveils mind-controlled F1 car concept
10-17-2018
The motorsport giant has released a concept video of a true next-generation vehicle known as the MP4-X.
How does fluid 'climb' up a rod ?
Posted 10-16-2018 | 2 comments
Physics Girl checks out a remarkable effect achievable with non-newtonian fluids.

Tense stand off with an elephant
Posted 10-10-2018 | 2 comments
A BBC film crew ends up face to face with a potentially hostile Indian elephant.

Free solo climbing in 360 degrees
Posted 10-5-2018 | 3 comments
Alex Honnold climbs up Yosemite's famous El Capitan with no equipment whatsoever.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas