Friday, December 13, 2019

'Furry animal' turns out to be clump of spiders

Posted on Saturday, 5 January, 2019 | Comment icon 23 comments

Don't poke something with a stick if you don't know what it is... Image Credit: Twitter / Rada SC
Footage from north-western Mexico shows why it's best not to poke at anything that's hiding inside a hole.
The unnerving video, which was filmed by hikers in the town of Alamos, shows what appears to be some kind of furry creature hiding inside a small hole in a wall.

When one of the hikers starts to poke at the animal however it quickly becomes clear that it's not a single creature at all but a whole pile of long-legged spiders that had all been bunched up together.

After being disturbed, the tiny arachnids can be seen skittering away in all directions.
"Yesterday exploring Alamos, Sonora... what appeared to be an animal sleeping in a cave turned out to be something more amazing !" the man wrote on Twitter.

The video, which was uploaded on December 29th, has already racked up over 1.6 million views.

The spiders are believed to be of the family pholcidae and can be found pretty much worldwide.

Source: Sputnik International | Comments (23)

Tags: Spiders, Harvestmen

Comment icon #14 Posted by Trenix on 11 January, 2019, 20:28
Biting. They don't have fangs, venom glands, or even produce a web.
Comment icon #15 Posted by openozy on 11 January, 2019, 21:45
The things we call daddy long legs in oz do have webs.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Jodie.Lynne on 11 January, 2019, 23:54
Note to self: NEVER go to Australia! I swear to Athena, Oz is the gods' bio-weapons lab! Just how many deadly critters do you folk have???
Comment icon #17 Posted by openozy on 12 January, 2019, 1:56
How long's a piece of string?This summer here now I've lost my best jack Russell to an Eastern brown snake,Was cornered by one and only saved by my old Whippet.Now have an infestation of Redback spiders all over the outside of my house,not long ago ended up in hospital after being stung by a paper wasp.Its hot, lets go for a swim,if you don't get taken by a shark or croc the irakanji jelly fish will sort you out.No wonder the pommies sent convicts to this lovely Island.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Hammerclaw on 12 January, 2019, 4:54
Correct. The Harvestman are arachnids, but only distantly related to spiders and harmless to humans.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Piney on 12 January, 2019, 4:57
I was already corrected on the matter.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Hammerclaw on 12 January, 2019, 5:00
Oops. Despite having eight legs, they don't give many people the heebie-jeebies like true spiders do.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Piney on 12 January, 2019, 5:19
They were allover the mill and I left them alone in my camper. They are one of the many critters I actually miss....
Comment icon #22 Posted by Hammerclaw on 12 January, 2019, 5:22
We got'em all over down here, the ones with really long legs and pill-shaped bodies.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Piney on 12 January, 2019, 12:08
That's the ones. I also liked watching jumping spiders hunt. Cool sight.

6611984

Giant telescope to join the search for alien life
12-13-2019
The world's largest filled-aperture radio telescope is about to start operating after several years of testing.
Deepest point on continental Earth discovered
12-13-2019
Scientists have identified an enormous land-based canyon that descends 11,500ft beneath sea level.
Cave painting depicts world's oldest cryptid
12-13-2019
A cave painting dating back 44,000 years shows the earliest known depiction of a supernatural creature.
Pigeons spotted wearing tiny cowboy hats
12-12-2019
Efforts are underway to track down who is responsible for affixing small hats to the heads of pigeons in Las Vegas.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia