Friday, April 26, 2019

'Extinct' cougars sighted in North Carolina

Posted on Thursday, 21 March, 2019 | Comment icon 20 comments

Do cougars still roam the wilds of North Carolina ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Eric Kilby
Several people have come forward to report cougar sightings despite the cats being extinct in the state.
The spate of reports emerged on Saturday when chef Billy Hensley made a post on a Bigfoot research Facebook page claiming that he had seen a cougar near Nebo in western North Carolina.

"I know I'll catch some flack for this," he wrote. "But I will swear this to my grave: I have seen a cougar not once but twice in Nebo in the past month or so."

His sighting was soon joined by several more from other social media users who also believed that they had witnessed one of the animals in the region.

"I've seen one about a half mile from my house in Green Mountain - which is in Yancey County," wrote Kim Owens-Mayhew. "Definitely a cougar, like you saw... I've seen bobcats too and they're not even close to the same size, length, and of course the tails are different."

Another user, Tiffinay Al-Maqtari, also remained adamant that the cats were still out there.

"I think it's condescending and dismissive when wildlife biologists or whoever say that they aren't around when people obviously are seeing them," she wrote. "There was one outside of my son's school once and all the kids saw it. They are just incredibly elusive."

The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission however is not convinced.

"There are no known cougars in North Carolina," Jodie Owens told The News and Observer.

"We get lots of reports every year from folks who think they've seen a cougar. Usually, it's a house cat, bobcat, coyote, even dogs or black bears that have been misidentified as cougars."

Source: News Observer | Comments (20)

Tags: North Carolina, Cougar

Comment icon #11 Posted by Buzz_Light_Year on 22 March, 2019, 11:39
Yeah a game warden told one of my friends that and he also stated they were hybrids, mostly nocturnal and sterile. I seen one almost 30 years ago and my niece seen one about 10 years ago. I've seen their tracks just recently and yet the DNR denies that they exist. I'm in southeastern Illinois and there's a lot of creeks and rivers that give the cats a highway to expand without much exposure. As a matter of fact the creek that runs though our farm is Painter Fork and Painter is an archaic name for what locals called panthers or puma. There's been too many sightings by deer hunters and coon hunt... [More]
Comment icon #12 Posted by Alien Origins on 22 March, 2019, 11:52
Yeah..Here where I am they brought in coyotes to control the deer population..Now they are paying people to shoot them..WTH?
Comment icon #13 Posted by openozy on 22 March, 2019, 12:14
People should just leave animals alone to sort themselves out.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Alien Origins on 22 March, 2019, 13:18
I could not agree more.....
Comment icon #15 Posted by Conspiracy on 22 March, 2019, 16:17
you need to get your eyes checked if you mistake a bear for a cougar lol
Comment icon #16 Posted by Hawken on 22 March, 2019, 17:40
The one that was caught on trail cam was in Pike county and others in Morgan & Calhoun.  Nobody knows for sure if it's the same cougar or 3 different ones. The counties are in close proximity with each other. Here's a pic of the one in Pike.
Comment icon #17 Posted by travelnjones on 22 March, 2019, 22:04
How can they say cougars are extinct when California has tons of mountain lions?  Isn't this just a cougars coming back to north carolina story.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Cryptid_Control on 24 March, 2019, 5:46
My god can we just agree there's cougars everywhere, they seem to be a controversy everywhere! As a hunter in Nova Scotia, I, and every other hunter can confirm no matter what wikipedia says there are cougars here. There's dozens of samples of scat in the basement of the museum that have never been tested or are being ignored and it's still considered extinct. Now I'm hearing they believe it never existed in the first place! Big cats in places they shouldn't be seems to be the largest mystery surrounding cryptids out there nowadays.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Farmer77 on 24 March, 2019, 9:38
I believe there is, or was, some genetic distinction between eastern and western cougars.
Comment icon #20 Posted by stereologist on 24 March, 2019, 13:21
There were 3 subspecies: western, eastern, and the Florida panther.

New brain implant turns thoughts in to speech
4-25-2019
An intriguing new mind-reading device could prove invaluable for people who have lost the ability to speak.
4-25-2019
This peculiar photograph shows a room filled with an assortment of totally unrecognizable things.
Scientists observe 'rarest event ever recorded'
4-24-2019
An extremely rare event has been observed by scientists working on unraveling the mysteries of dark matter.
US Navy drafts new UFO reporting guidelines
4-24-2019
Senior officials are putting together new guidelines to help pilots and other personnel report UFO sightings.
Cannon made from 50,000 matches
Posted 4-7-2019 | 4 comments
What happens if you light a cannon made out of 50,000 matches ?

Latin America's most dangerous snake
Posted 3-24-2019 | 1 comment
Coyote Peterson comes face to face with an extremely dangerous reptile.

Squaring a doughnut
Posted 3-12-2019 | 1 comment
Michael returns with another mind-bending problem - this time concerning squares.

Shells of cosmic time
Posted 3-3-2019 | 0 comments
A look at how observations of distant objects enable us to see back in time.

Thailand's snake village
Posted 2-26-2019 | 2 comments
Steve Backshall visits a village where the inhabitants live alongside dangerous snakes.

Giant bird shadows