Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Study: '1 in 10 have had a near-death experience'

Posted on Wednesday, 3 July, 2019 | Comment icon 8 comments

Near-death experiences may be surprisingly common. Image Credit: Louis Janmot
New research involving participants from 35 countries has highlighted the surprising prevalence of NDEs.
Presented on June 29th at the European Academy of Neurology Congress in Oslo, Norway, the study sought to determine the connection between near-death experiences and REM sleep disorders.

A total of 1,034 people from 35 countries took part in the research, with 289 participants reporting a near-death experience at some point in their lives. Out of those, 106 were deemed to have had a genuine near-death experience based on their responses to additional survey questions.

Such experiences often centered around the sensation of being separated from one's body but also often included an abnormal perception of time, racing thoughts and heightened senses.
Around half of those with near-death experiences reported having them during a life-threatening situation, while others had the experience during a stressful event such as child birth.

Crucially, in relation to the study's goals, 47% of experiencers also reported REM sleep intrusions such as sleep paralysis, suggesting that there could in fact be a connection between the two.

"Identifying the physiological mechanisms behind REM sleep intrusion into wakefulness might advance our understanding of near-death experiences," said study lead author Dr. Daniel Kondziella.

Source: Live Science | Comments (8)

Tags: Near-Death Experience

Comment icon #1 Posted by Robotic Jew on 3 July, 2019, 17:12
Makes sense. I was "dead" once for a few minutes and didn't have an NDE. So, either I'm going to hell for being a thoughtful and caring atheist or there's another explanation for them that's far more "natural"
Comment icon #2 Posted by Seti42 on 3 July, 2019, 17:36
I've thought for a long time that NDE's are essentially dreams. I'm glad a recent link to REM sleep seems to validate my opinion. It makes sense for a brain to 'shut down' in this way.
Comment icon #3 Posted by sci-nerd on 3 July, 2019, 17:43
It will be interesting, when the times comes where they can bring cryo preserved heads back to life, to hear if their NDE's continued after freezing...
Comment icon #4 Posted by Robotic Jew on 3 July, 2019, 17:54
Just a persistent never ending tunnel of light surround by dead people and pets?
Comment icon #5 Posted by sci-nerd on 3 July, 2019, 17:58
A never ending tunnel sounds 'boring'
Comment icon #6 Posted by Essan on 3 July, 2019, 18:22
I know hundreds of people.  I don't know anyone who has had a NDE, let alone dozens ......
Comment icon #7 Posted by Hankenhunter on 3 July, 2019, 20:13
www.nderf.org
Comment icon #8 Posted by Jon the frog on 4 July, 2019, 1:01
My mom got the DNE tunnel stuff once, when the hospital messed up with drugs while doing surgery on her leg.

Mystery surrounds 'T-34' written on polar bear
12-9-2019
An investigation is currently underway in an effort to track down who is responsible for painting the animal.
ESA to launch space debris collector in 2025
12-9-2019
If successful, the mission will be the first ever to remove a piece of space junk from Earth's orbit.
Can dogs smell the passage of time ?
12-9-2019
Some dogs seem to have the uncanny ability to know exactly when their owner is returning home, but how ?
'Expedition Bigfoot' set to track down Sasquatch
12-8-2019
A new TV series will follow a team of Bigfoot hunters as they attempt to find evidence of the creature's existence.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia