Tuesday, December 10, 2019

The face of a woman who lived 7,500 years ago

Posted on Thursday, 19 September, 2019 | Comment icon 16 comments

The reconstruction was breathtakingly detailed. Image Credit: YouTube / Gibraltar Chronicle
Forensic experts have created a detailed reconstruction of a Neolithic woman found in a cave in Gibraltar.
Named Calpeia in reference to Gibraltar's classical name, the woman, who was thought to have been in her 30s when she died, was painstakingly recreated over a six-month period by a team led by Gibraltar National Museum Conservator Manuel Jaen.

Her remains were discovered buried in a cave in 1996.

"We were able to extract DNA from the skull so we know a number of things," said Professor Clive Finlayson. "We know she was a female, we know she had features associated with dark hair/eyes."
"And the interesting thing was when we look at her ancestry, 10 per cent of her genes were local Mesolithic hunter gatherers', but 90 per cent of her genes were from Anatolia [modern-day Turkey]."

The completed reconstruction was unveiled by Minister for Heritage Dr John Cortes on Sept 10th.

"When I saw what you are about to see a few days ago it was breath-taking, congratulations to Manuel for this incredible piece of work," he said. "This young lady, I think she was late 30s early 40s, lived in Gibraltar seven and a half thousand years ago. She was buried in a cave at Europa Point."

Source: Chronicle.gi | Comments (16)

Tags: Neolithic

Comment icon #7 Posted by Timothy on 19 September, 2019, 21:41
My uncanny valley must be deeper than yours. I donít trust her!† I wonder how accurate it really is though?
Comment icon #8 Posted by DieChecker on 20 September, 2019, 11:22
Looks pretty much like someone you might meet in Spain today. Interesting that she had 90% DNA from Turkey. She, or her parents/tribe, must have migrated a long way. Maybe the 7000 years ago version of gypsies?
Comment icon #9 Posted by third_eye on 20 September, 2019, 11:28
Does she have a sister by any chance?† Seriously though, what would be interesting is if we could locate her closest living descendants today...† ~
Comment icon #10 Posted by psyche101 on 20 September, 2019, 12:13
That's really interesting. I do love what modern technology can do. Thanks for posting.
Comment icon #11 Posted by and then on 20 September, 2019, 18:33
Bill Clinton made a similar comment once about an Egyptian mummy that was a princess of some kind.† Bless his heart...
Comment icon #12 Posted by and then on 20 September, 2019, 18:35
I do also.† I think it would be interesting to sit in on some lectures that explain the measurements and processes they use to obtain a result.††
Comment icon #13 Posted by skookum on 20 September, 2019, 22:54
She seems to have quite a modern top on for her era. Next must have had a sale on.
Comment icon #14 Posted by zygote_myles on 21 September, 2019, 8:44
Wow. Literally a timeless beauty.†
Comment icon #15 Posted by Timothy on 21 September, 2019, 15:15
Exactly.† All good and done well to satisfy. I want them to also publish their possible worst representation.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Antnanna on 24 September, 2019, 3:01
Was my first thought

Mystery surrounds 'T-34' written on polar bear
12-9-2019
An investigation is currently underway in an effort to track down who is responsible for painting the animal.
ESA to launch space debris collector in 2025
12-9-2019
If successful, the mission will be the first ever to remove a piece of space junk from Earth's orbit.
Can dogs smell the passage of time ?
12-9-2019
Some dogs seem to have the uncanny ability to know exactly when their owner is returning home, but how ?
'Expedition Bigfoot' set to track down Sasquatch
12-8-2019
A new TV series will follow a team of Bigfoot hunters as they attempt to find evidence of the creature's existence.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia